1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

NO HONKING DAY

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by J Ravi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ok. We are going OT. It is safe to honk when it is really required. But in India kind of countries where each state have population of any of the country in the world, it is impossible to teach everyone the ethics and it is not our responsibility to teach these people every time too.

Population.JPG

As well here in the roads a lots of clowns drives two wheelers and they do all circus with their two wheelers and we cannot squeeze through thinking that he/she don't come in front of our vehicles. If they do the circus and hit our vehicle, the damage is for our cars and we are going to pay for that. So it is good to learn when to honk and pass through.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Yesterday there was a very good article on another forum - i wont name it, sorry. nor will i provide link here.

SAFE OVERTAKING

• Golden Rule : If you hesitate, don’t do it.

• As XXXX once said, your overtaking manouveur should be short, smooth & sweet.

• Never overtake until you have an absolutely clear view. This also means that overtaking on curves & blind spots is taboo.

• Maintain an adequate gap from the car in front. This will lend you a superior view of oncoming traffic (vis a vis swerving out dangerously to take a look).

• The right way to overtake is to downshift and prepare your car before moving out. The advantage of leaving a sufficient gap is that you can begin to accelerate earlier. When you pass the vehicle, the speed difference is significantly higher and the overtaking move quicker.

Honk briefly while overtaking to intimate the vehicle of your intentions. It's important to let your presence be known as many vehicles don't use their ORVMs!

• Before overtaking, also look behind you, using your mirrors. It shouldn’t be that a faster car is overtaking you, and you move out into him.

• Before overtaking, gauge the speed of that oncoming car. The vehicle might seem to be far away, but if it's traveling at 150 kph, it’ll meet you sooner than expected.

• If you see an obstruction in the way of the truck you are planning to overtake, abandon the move. The truck might have no choice but to move to the right (to avoid that obstruction). You have to think ahead and ensure that the truck you are overtaking has no reason to move to the right (and into you).

• Don't plan to overtake more than 1 vehicle at a time. The worst situation is to lack room to come back onto your side of the road... leaving you stranded in the line of fire.

• Use the left indicator when you are coming back into your lane (after overtaking).

• Avoid overtaking from the left side of a vehicle.

• Never overtake as a group or blindly follow the car ahead of you in an overtaking manouveur. The car ahead could have calculated just enough space for himself (and not you). This is a very common cause of overtaking accidents on Indian highways where drivers cut it fine. Worse still, the driver might have miscalculated and be headed toward an accident.

• Some drivers mistakenly use the right-hand-side blinker when it's safe to overtake them. This is a dangerous habit that you shouldn't trust. Reason: the vehicle ahead could actually be indicating (correctly) that he is about to turn right, and it would be disastrous if you were overtaking as he began turning right.
    5 people like this.
  3. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Yeah Amit, Good "ARTICLE" by GTO :)
  4. Using right side indicator is common on highway at least in south.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +1 Sat, I have noticed this many times on highway. But at times I get worried as to whether its a turn indicator or is the guy allowing me to overtake :confused:
  6. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    Wow - Rules and all .... amazing... I have been driving since 1978 and since then till date i have never followed any such rules mentioned above....As per my experience driving is all about impromptu decisions ..... It is all about being alert and reflexes ...being able to see ahead and predict your move....Touch wood till date Never have had or gotten into any serious accidents except for niks and scratches and other idoits mistakes....

Right from those days where people used to hail a hand to turn, to using Signal Indicators always did it as per convinience or when it was really required.

Just one thought should be at the Top of your Mind is you and your car members Safety and the safety of your own Vehicle...

Rest No Comments....
    3 people like this.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Don't honk, please, we're Bangalore !

Well well another initiative which appears great on paper, but the end result :confused

"Shhhh! There are hopes that the crowded and noisy city of Bangalore may be just a little bit quieter from now on. A new initiative has been launched to try and bring some element of peace into the city's mad traffic.

The 'I Won't Honk Campaign' is a citizen's initiative that has police support for its ambitious aim: to get drivers to take a pledge that they will not honk unless it is absolutely necessary.

This will not be an easy task. Honking seems part of the Indian driver's DNA. It would appear that many people believe vehicles in India will only go forward if the horn is tooted. Honking seems to be an essential part of the Indian driving experience. In traffic, on empty roads, while overtaking, and while being overtaken.

The campaign is being supported by a man more usually associated with the straight drive - the quiet, 'let my bat do the talking' cricketer, Rahul Dravid.

The Wall, as the cricketer is known, said, "Honking is just an unnecessary nuisance on the roads - it doesn't help people get to a place faster and it doesn't help us be safer. I think if we all take this pledge it will be really good for the city and the peace of mind for people who commute in this city and spend long hours on this road."

The view is echoed by Shyam Sundar S Pani, a force behind the campaign who insists, "Honking doesn't mean that you move faster. Honking just means and shows that you are indisciplined in driving."

All we can say is 'Hear, hear.'

The city's traffic police, whose eardrums no doubt have to face the loudest assault, are all for the new campaign. They say that 'No Honking Mondays' that have already been introduced have resulted in a 4.5% reduction in noise pollution. The Additional Commissioner of Police, M A Saleem said he hope the initiative would help in reducing the noise pollution in the city to a very large extent"

Source: NDTV
    1 person likes this.
  8. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So @Punto_Emotion, the traffic police is going to pledge that they don't stop the heavy vehicles in narrow stretches to extort money? They are going to teach the people to travel in proper tracks? They are going to increase fine 10 folds on the traffic violation? If these things are not happening then they cannot stop the honking too... :)
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I saw one anti-honking slogan behind an auto, it was in Hindi & reads like this:
    Kutta bhi bina vajah nahin Bhonkta (Even a dog doesn't bark for no reason).

It works! I honk a lot but behind that auto, i was raring to overtake it instead!
    In-fact there was complete silence from all honkers & everyone was like ::pP.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    That's a refreshing change, as most of the slogans behind trucks/tractor trollies read "Blow Horn" or "Awaz Do".