1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by J Ravi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Please use search option before starting a thread.

All honking threads :) are merged.

PS: Do not miss reading earlier interesting pages. This topic has already been discussed twice, once as early as June 2010.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Linea 1.4

Well Said. That was the whole Point, Rishike007. While Criticizing Honking , I have just maintained one thing throughout my Opening Post - "I HONK ! " . Lets have no misconception that you will not have a need to Honk, thats why i also started by saying its fitted for a Reason but Definitely not for the Reason most of Us Indians use it for.

Another Well Said Point Rishike007 , in your second Line Quoted above, Non-stop honking by Every one at Signals, in Traffic Jams, While Over-taking (all the time) eventually loses the whole reason you use the Horn i.e. to Alert the Vehicle ahead of you. The Horn gets lost in the whole Musical Orchestra and Jamming going on on the Roads. People actually do not react to horns anymore. If you know that its used once in a while when you sense danger (that comes with good Driving Habits) you will Honk only when necessary.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

We scorn at the African tribals who ward of evil spirits by beating the drums, then we try to breakup traffic jams by honking ;)
    1 person likes this.
  4. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Linea 1.4
    Lol . Aadiwasi Beats :D

@ShadowFax - you there ??
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Yes im here.... Aadiwaasi drum beats are not horns

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Honking just saved a potential incident for me today. :)

I'm driving at a cool 40-50kmph in city and suddenly an Estilo guy decides to cross the road , knowing very well that i'm coming. He only stopped when i honked twice.

No honking scenario - I brake in the middle of the road for him to pass peacefully. Maybe i get rear ended as well?

Take your pick.
    6 people like this.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Now what can i say more. I posted some videos in my last posts here. Clearly shows accident occurring because of people suddenly changing lanes while we are overtaking them.

Just a common sense. Honk and alert them. There is also a term called blind spot. This is a major problem for heavy vehicles. Sometimes while you are overtaking a truck he is not able to see you below in his rear view mirror. Just a small press on horn alerts him and he allows you to safely overtake.

I am seeing that someone is boldly trying to impose " People who horn = Bad drivers "
    Hows this concluded? Just because they are trying to overtake only after making sure the driver in front is well alerted?

On indian roads the drivers like ones driving taxi tavera or similar who suddenly pass people from either left or right, just zipping madly without alerting shock the people more than a person who honks once to request for a safe pass.
  8. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Linea 1.4
    A "Bad Driver" is generally identified by following characteristics :
    1. He/ She Honks
    2. Not Patient (so he/she honks)
    3. Tries to overtake every car in front (so he honks)
    4. Causes accidents , in some cases, dashing off Vehicles for example, TATA ACE Truck off the Roads into the Trees just cos of Overtaking :D

So, any driver who creates a situation for an uncalled for accident is a "Bad Driver".
    A safe driver is a "Good driver" anywhere in the world.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Horn is there with a purpose. We cannot tell anyone not to use it all or all those who honk are bad drivers. Use it if the situation demands. My right thumb is always on the horn pad, but I press it only of required.
    Yesterday, I saw a Honda city guy arguing with an i10 guy on the middle of the road blocking traffic movement. I had to keep the horn pressed to tell them that there are people waiting for them to complete their argument and move on!
    1 person likes this.
  10. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

I would like to narrate an incident today while we discuss whether to honk or not in this thread,

I was heading to work from my home about morning 9 AM, I was taking a right turn at a Merging Traffic Ahead kind of road, Basically it was a "T" shaped road, I took a 90 degree Turn, car speed was in 20-30KMPH Since It was early morning, the Sun Rays are hitting my windshield , that is when you have less visibility because of brightness of the sun light, Before taking a 90 degree turn I honked Twice, After I completed the turn I suddenly saw a lady driving Honda Activa in my left mirror shouting at me, My car windows were rolled up so I could not hear what she was saying, I thought I did not see her coming from left, I waved my left hand saying sorry, But she did not seem to calm down she was still shouting at me After about a far long travel I rolled my windows down, I was about to say, Due to bright sunlight I could not see her hence Sorry , Before I even tell that She started abusing me, She Said 'What is that turn , You took, Is this road your father's property" After hearing this I did not want to say sorry to her, I felt she was rude, I said " Road is also not your fathers property" SHe again said " I will go to police File a Complaint", I said one word' 'GET LOST DO WHATEVER YOU WANT" and rolled my windows Up started moving forward, I could see her from my rear view mirror She was wearing a headset, while she took out her mobile take photo of my car, I could see her removing earphones and unplugging the headset, then I confirmed she was listening to mp3 or may be she was on call, Then I realized why she would have missed my horn sound!,

Things did not end there, She took a snap of my car from behind, She overtook me, About few meters further there is a flyover, towards right of the flyover, Generally traffic police stands to control the traffic, I generally know one of them as this is my daily travel , I generally say hello to them as courtesy, Today there were three police man standing instead of one, She Stopped her activa, started complaining against me in a loud voice about 30 seconds later I went there, before traffic police asked me to stop, I just steered my car to the empty place where I can Park my car, I could see her shouting , I just stop the car, even I got out from car, I could see her frowning at me, She was talking with another policeman, In the mean She wanted to hit me with her helmet, When the cop saw her doing this , looks like he realized nothing big happened there, He came and advised both telling that both of you wanted to go to work, Both of you drive safe, Looks like she did not got the justice she was looking for, she said because of guys like me Delhi Rape cases are happening! ( W.T.F what my right turn to do with Delhi rape case) I did not utter even a single word, She said "Who the hell has given Driving license to me" She told cops that "I should be penalized, My DL has to b cancelled" sensing her erratic attitude Traffic police did not even listened to her allegations against me they asked me to leave , They told that they will deal with her, But the moment I was let off, she got pissed off she was telling that she will go to court , She told She will go to police station make sure I will be in jail blah blah blah, then she came behind my car , I think her activa tyre hit the bumper of my car, she was also hitting the rear glass with her left hand

I just moved forward after some distance we just changed our directions, I was a bit nervous after this incident, I was feeling somewhat uncomfortable from Morning what if if that lady in activa goes to police station and lodges a compliant against me , She has my car photo as proof, Police generally listen to what woman says, They have every right, she can say to police that I abused her then thy will believe her I may have to go for interrogation.

But nothing happened till now. I was just wondering What is the best thing I should have done to avoid this?.

so now even When I honked the other person could not listen because of her headset , there were other two wheelers along with her, No body even said a word to me. MY visibility was hampered due to sun rays, I will make sure when negotiating such turns from today, I always be extra extra careful

Guys Any suggestions about how to avoid such incidents?