1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

No cranking of engine..does not start

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by JJPunter, Dec 5, 2011.

1. JJPunter

JJPunter

Chennai
    Hi everyone...
    My Punto MJD is now 3 months old with 8.5k clocked. Since of late i noticed a problem. When I turn on the ignition and try to start the engine there is absolute silence. I cannot hear the cranking sound and the engine does not start.
    After 5 to 6 attempts the engine cranks and starts as usual. This has been happening inconsistently and most of the time the engine starts without any problem. I have no clue what could be the problem.
    Has anyone faced this problem. Any clues to what might be the problem.
    Plan to take the car to TASS but since the problem is not consistent I think it would be difficult to diagonise.

Appreciate any help.
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Any other symptoms on the MID while the engine is not cranking that might help diagnose the issue?
    I suspect some loose connection or problem with battery, but not too sure of that.
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    When you are turning the key for cranking, do you feel like there is a drop in voltage ? Just switch on the cabin light & try cranking. Did you add any other accessory on your car ?
  4. JJPunter

JJPunter

Chennai
    Roy sir..
    I never noticed any unusual symptoms on the MID..just that it does not crank at all.
    I suspect some loose contact as well and battery is only 3 months old.
    Thanks for the reply.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

@Cinju..
    I never tried cranking with the lights on...Ill try that and get back.
    I never added any accessories to my car.
    Thanks..
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    There will be a slight voltage variation which is usual. But if you feel like the voltage is dropping then there is an issue. Just open the bonnet & see if the battery terminals are not loose. There shouldnt be any movement of the terminals.
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    At the cost of stating the obvious: If your foot is on the accelerator, the engine will not crank.

Regards
    Johnny
  7. JJPunter

JJPunter

Chennai

Nope Johnny..i dont keep my foot on the accelerator...thanks anyway..
  8. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    If the battery terminals are fine. Try checking the fuses of the ECU at a Service center. I had similar problem and the culprit in my case was a faulty fuse.
    Good Luck.
  9. JJPunter

JJPunter

Chennai
    Thanks Kiran...will check the battery terminals and fuses and hope that solves the problem.
  10. JJPunter

JJPunter

Chennai
    I started the engine with the cabin lights on. There seemed to be a slight dip while cranking but I think that is normal. I use the 180w slot to charge my mobile...was wondering if that could cause any problem.
    Also noticed twice while driving that there were some unusual beeps from the MID while there was nothing wrong..such as the door being open or the seat belt not put. One day the incoming call ring tone(blue and me) completely changed from the normal ring tone. This is crazy..!!!
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011