1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Nitrogen - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Dec 30, 2010.

1. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The fuel station which i fill (The fuel here is reasonably good) doesn't has Air checking service :confused: . Other fuel stations refuses to check air without fuel top up from their station. Local Tyre mechanics charge Rs 20 but their gauges are age old and inaccurate. Hence in my case Filling nitrogen from that particular tyre shop is better and also cheaper :-D )
  2. Nope. I use Nitrogen only. Why i use Nitrogen is because of point(2) of my post. I live in Cochin which is a coastal area with highly humid and saline air. I dont use alloy wheels(which are immune to rust) and hence i want something inert inside the tyres. The "foot pump" thing was just a suggestion. I dont do that myself. I have just put those points for others to think about a take a decision on their own. Also i wanted to say that most of the stories the tyre guys gives you for filling Nitrogen is a bluff.

Completely agree with you here. Health of the tyres is the top priority. Maintaining proper tyre pressures, alignment and balance is of much more importance than Nitrogen.

-spear man-
  3. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Even after all the discussions, I have decided to get Nitrogen filled for my 90 horses. When I enquired the same here I was told that this is done at petrol pumps. These guys just deflate the tyre and fill N2. I was skeptical and I am under the impression that a car should never be left standing on a flat tyre. I asked them that will they jack up the tyre to fill N2 and the answer was nope.
    Can anybody clarify on the correct procedure and the places where I can get this done. I stay near Vijaynagar.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I actually don't recommend filling Nitrogen. If you still want to fill and apprehensive about the method of deflating completely and filling the Nitrogen, have it filled when you do tyre rotation/balancing.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  5. DeLineated

DeLineated Timido

I haven't read through all the pages in the thread, so apologies if I jumped the gun with my reply.

Granted that 78% of atmospheric air is nitrogen, so why bother filling pure nitrogen in tyres ?
    The answer is not in getting 100% nitrogen, but in 0% oxygen ( and water vapour ). Nitrogen gas is not inert, but it is much more stable the highly reactive oxygen, which is what we want to remove.
    Oxygen oxidizes metal and rubber over time, and water vapour also promotes rusting in steel wheels. I can't speak much of leakage and ride comfort, but nitrogen molecule is smaller than oxygen, so it should leak more readily in fact. It would however expand less when hot and not cause corrosion. Ideally, we'd like an inert gas, but those are very rare and expensive to collect in large amounts for filling in tyres.

That said, pure N2 in road cars isn't very beneficial. The first applications of pure N2 came in aircraft tyres, where extreme heat could cause tyre bursts - and oxygen is a conbustion risk, especially more oxygen available when pressurized into tyres well above atmospheric pressure, for example, greatly increases fire risk. That is why aircraft use nitrogen - fire hazard being the main cause. Same with racing and motorsports.

For road cars, it's less of an issue since most of the time , we don't drive that hard/fast. Nonetheless, the absence of oxygen does offer the benefits of reducing corrosion and fire hazard.
    3 people like this.
  6. bkpabi

bkpabi Novizio

I started using nitrogen in all 4 tyres from last November. Now a days I am useing my car only in weekends so rest of the days it is standing idle in the basement. So I notice the pressure goes down in a week or two. Now below are my doubts
    Is this normal behavior (if we don't use the car for a week pressure will go down) ?
    Will filling air instead of nitrogen will help in stop the pressure loss?
    How frequently should I check the pressure?
  7. Even I am using nitrogen since last month, there is no noticeable difference. And every 15 days needs a top up.
    Btw does all four tyres loose pressure?? Or any specific tyre? ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yes the pressure goes down in Tyre.

You can observed this if spear tyre is filled with nitrogen.

If you are not using your car so often then don't use nitrogen fill air only.

Or need to check pressure after every 2 weeks time when ever you are using your car. Also the nitrogen filling centres has the scheme for free checkups.
    Use that for free top -ups :)
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

I'm Not Able go find a video that compared tires filled with these two substances when I do I shall post it but according to that there is really no no no use of nitrogen and it drops pressure just as air does

from HTC desire S with cynogenmod 7.2
  10. bkpabi

bkpabi Novizio

Thanks rishike007, wolverine_arnab for the reply. last Saturday I filled nitrogen again. At the same time I noticed the rear tyre pressure was 29PSI and front was 30PSI. I will observe the pressure for this week. If it goes down then I will fill air instead of nitrogen.