1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Nitrogen - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Oh theory or whatever, I am not gonna fill Nitrogen anymore. For December Vacation I filled nitrogen in my punto. Had a not so good experience. On the highways It was very good. Once I started driving in the city roads, the ride was very bumpy. The pressure was 30 but still very bumpy. Then reduced to 28 but still the ride was bumpy. Finally decided to take out all nitrogen and fill with Air. Only then the ride came back to normal.
    I was not at all interested to fill nitrogen for a long time (even in santro days) but this time I wanted to see what change it brings, ust for the sake of trying it once. But that turned out to be a bitter experience.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Nitrogen Pros:
    1. Nitrogen Pressure loss is slow compared to air
    2. Nitrogen stays cooler
    3. Improves wear in treads
    4. Increased rim life

Nitrogen cons:
    1. Cost
    2. Mileage advantage using Nitrogen Not proven yet

Final Thoughts
    It's very unlikely that you'll be driving at race car speeds (F1 formula) or exerting the level of pressure on your tires that aircraft's do, so the safety concern should not be a factor at all. You can spend a little extra per tire to gain the perception of increased gas mileage and less frequent tire refilling. But unfortunately it's only a perception we have. The best advice for now is to ensure your tires retain their optimal pressure year-round at all times whatever it may be and drive safe ;).
  3. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Even I was looking to fill in Nitrogen a few months ago, but it was really a problem finding fuel stations offering Nitrogen with ease. So I dropped the idea, the only reason I wanted to opt for Nitrogen was less pressure drop
    1 person likes this.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

What most Nitrogen advocates are ignoring / blind-siding is the fact the whatever minimal benefits that Nitrogen offers are achieved only by using 100% pure dry Nitrogen. Since it is not possible to completely remove the compressed air and moisture inside the tyres before filling Nitrogen, this is achieved by filling and purging several times in succession, serially diluting the concentration of oxygen in the tire. This will also remove any water.

I would like all those who use Nitrogen / advocate the use of Nitrogen, to please clarify if they have ever seen this process being done in any of the Nitrogen filling stations?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

The nitrogen machine has 2 options. 1 for vaccum . 2 for filling nitrogen.

I have asked them to vaccum my tyres numerous times and they do it on request.. You can actually see the sidewalls bending inside when they vaccum

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  6. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Linea 1.3
    My experience also say the same. But i check every month. There wil be a pressure loss of 1 psi in my alto. Noticed an immediate difference in road noise that filtered in to the cabin. The reduction in tyre/Road noise was immediately noticable,but only for the first day.

Yes. They do it only when you say that you are filling nitrogen for the first time.:)

You are right. But there will always be some amount of air and moisture inside the tyre even after vacuuming. So when ever i have time, i dont just top up, i ask them to vacuum and then refil. Over a couple of time, this will result in more nitrogen in the tyres. I do this only if have time to kill and ofcourse, i dont pay for nitrogen. Its free in many places.

Nitrogen can be topped up with air during emergencies, but when filling nitrogen again, it should be vacuumed and then refilled. Top ups wil not do.
  7. Is Nitrogen good for tyres? Yes !
    Are they good for the day to day commuter? Not much.

Nitrogen is generally used in car tyres for performance driving, like rallying, racing etc.

The following are my points:

1. Almost 0 pressure variation due to temperature changes in the tyre pressure. In performance driving this is a very important point to have the cold pressure and hot pressure of your tyres the same. For regular day to day commuters, the only advantage is that you can have 1 PSI more than what the manufacturer recommends as "cold pressure" as the tyre doesn't expand while long drives. After one month, the pressure drops by 1 PSI, and you are still in the optimum range and hence can avoid filling for one more month.

2. Nitrogen in INERT: It doesn't ignite(that is one reason we don't use Hydrogen for filling tyres ). It doesn't react too much with the metal parts or the rubber(in comparison with AIR containing Oxygen, Moisture and other gases). This improves tyre & wheel life, particularly for tubeless tyres, where the rubber and wheel is in direct contact with the filled gas.

3. For performance driving(especially with lower profile tyres) it is noticed by experts that the handling is very much affected due to very small pressure variations causing the tyre profile to vary, and hence the most inert Nitrogen is used.

4. All the reason the local tyre guys gives you is a bluff. This includes "low filling intervals", "high performance", "smooth feel" etc etc... One guy even told me that my mileage will increase. &*^%# :uh i haven't felt any of these till now.

5. You can fill Nitrogen if you are doing frequent long drives, or just for the mental satisfaction that you have filled the same gas what your dream rally drivers have filled their tyres with.

6. If you have decided to fill air, you can even do it with a foot pump which you can buy from ebay for around Rs 500. This equals to the one time filling cost they charge for Nitrogen. No waiting in pumps, no sore faces of pump attendants who scratch their heads for tips.

-spear man-
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

I fill nitrogen only because I do not have to keep checking the air pressure every fortnight or every month. For me, that peace of mind and convenience are worth the price I pay for Nitrogen.
    Other than this, I have not observed any other benefits.
  9. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    A garage nearby fills nitrogen for Rs 100 with a validity of 3 months ( yep they issue a card for the same). Once your validity gets over you can extend it to another three months by shelling Rs 40. Within the validity period you can have n number of refills. :cool:
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Come on guys. I mean, how much effort does it take to get your tyre pressure checked regularly? I usually give a ten rupee note to the attendant, but the guys in Shell outlets refuse to accept.
    @spear_man77: You mean to say, you are willing to spend Rs.500 and sweat it out with a foot pump? Aren't you mixing atmospheric air with the Nitrogen in your tyres?
    @anoop: If you have a puncture with a slow leak, you will not know about it for a very long time. So much for your peace of mind.

I simply cannot understand, you guys are willing to spend hours together cleaning and polishing your car every week, hours of your time and thousands of rupees in cosmetic/performance mods, thousands of rupees on service, but are unwilling to spend a few minutes of your time and five/ten rupees to get your tyre pressure checked, whenever you fill up fuel? The tyre is the only component of your car that comes in contact with the road and is paramount to your safety. Air pressure is the only variable in the tyre that is user configurable. Most fuel stations offer that service for free and the occasional attendant expects a fiver. But, still you guys are willing to risk safety, braking performance, ride comfort, cornering ability, etc. to Nitrogen?

Good for you man. Still works out a bit more expensive than regular air, doesn't it?