1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Nitrogen - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Dec 30, 2010.

1. vinod_s

vinod_s Timido

mumbai
    I had very good experience using nitrogen in all tyres. I have been filling nitrogen in almost all cars which I have bought since last two years. I have experienced that my average has immediately gone up after filling nitrogen as well I dont have to check the pressure again and again. once in three months is sufficient to keep check. I had dzire diesel earlier, before filling nitrogen it was giving avg of 22 on highway and after filling nitrogen it started giving 25 on highway. For filling first time, they charge Rs. 100 for all four tyres, and later on for top up they charge Rs. 30. & i feel spending rs. 30 on quarterly basis is not a big deal.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That is quite a drastic increase. Also, since conditions on a highway trip are rarely the exact same, so we cannot deduce anything.

I'm too much of a Luddite to try and fill up Nitrogen. Never understood what's the big deal about it! :confused:
  3. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

Bangalore
    I got my car tires filled with Nitrogen Today at Sai Iyengars , bangalore, He said Another advantage of getting NItrogen is that Car Tyres won't burst, I found this very exciting and went for it! moreover I did not pay anything for it as I bought new tyre from them
  4. nand_nand

nand_nand Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Rajan.. :)
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    I would definitely like to meet that person. Properly inflated and 'sensibly used' tyres filled with normal air don't burst either, unless there is a manufacturing flaw.

But hey, to each according to his own!
  6. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I regularly fill-in Nitrogen in my tyres and I did have a tyre burst an year ago. I do not see a logic in this. How does Nitrogen help in preventing a tyre burst against regular air?
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Properly inflated and sensibly used tyres indeed have less chance of bursting but many of us including me fail to check air pressure frequently and even go on highway drives without checking. Now since nitrogen has less air pressure variations, for such people it does reduce the chances of tyre burst.

Note: most cases of tyre burst happen with under inflated tyres in which air happens to expand to dangerous levels due to more friction especially on long drives.

I too use nitrogen these days and usually the air pressure doesn't change for atleast 3 months. I decided on using nitrogen based on the mentioned reason which was quite logical to me.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  8. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One -ve point here is if the water vapor from the tire is not removed while filling nitrogen, and continual nitrogen filling will make your wheel rims corrode. You can see the benefits and cons here
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    In theory- yes. But i would like to see definite proof of Nitrogen protecting under-inflated tires from a potential blow-up.

If nothing else, Nitrogen might promote drivers to be more casual in instances of driving with under-inflated tyres.

I have nothing against Nitrogen, but when sales people make absurd claims to get people to fill N2 in their tyres, that irks me.
    2 people like this.
  10. donzerus

donzerus Timido

Chennai
    Another reason for filling up Nitrogen on aircraft tyres is that tyres filled with oxygen tends to lose pressure at high altitudes whereas Nitrogen does not due to its inertness.

Not sure what difference Nitrogen would make on ordinary passenger cars on the ground.