1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Nitrogen - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Post made by Vijay in another thread. I've moved the relevant section of the post here.

3. sungoa2010

In Punto's body it is mentioned 32 PSI as tyre pressure. But in manual there is something else is given in page 168.(see below). Which one is correct. I am using nitrogen.
    Ant my tyre size is 175/70 R14(emotion)
  4. Pran

Pran Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    From my experience so far, no strict rules. Stick to you comfort zone. Used to fill 30psi but was forced to bring down to 27psi when I changed my tyres to get the same comfort as before.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Nitrogen is only slightly "less denser" than air, due to this the pressure created by 1cc of Nitrogen is less than pressure created by 1cc ofa Air.
    Movement is always from a region of high pressure to region of low pressure thus Nitrogen escapes far less compared to Air. This is the whole funda.

Why is it used on road cars?
    Because the marketing for something new and fancy is always a hit with people.

SO where is it used then? and why?
    1.) Its mostly used in Race cars and Aircraft tyres and the reasons are alike.

These machines attain such high speeds in such a small amount of time ( "Top Fuel Dragsters") that there is immense expansion due to heat build up( a round tyre becomes oval if you look at top fuel dragsters) , this translates to "Collision between atoms of constituents of Air" , since Air is more denser the friction created is more and consequently there are chances of tyre bursts.

Aircrafts ::
    The reason here is the same as that of Race cars with the added condition of weight .
    The takeoff/landing speed of these aircrafts range from 100-170knots (180-314kmph) so imagine the impact on the tyres at such high speeds especially considering the payload. Even in that case there is friction and eventually blow-outs thus nitrogen is used.

For city cars its only subjective as there is no proven stats that it actually makes the drive smoother.
    Not to mention its rather expensive as well compared to 2rs of refill at a bunk or pay 500Rs for a compressor and fill it up at you're will :)
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I personally like filling Nitrogen. Today, I went for top-up of Nitrogen in my car after 1.5 months. Still, the reading showed that the existing pressure on my tyre is 32 PSI. Last time, I filled in with 33 PSI. But, when I fill the air and within 2 weeks, the pressure drops to 29 or so.

I really don't see that the drive has become smoother with Nitrogen. But, because of the consistency in Pressure, my car will return me consistent mileage and there will be less chances of early wear and tear on my tyres as well.
  7. Srini

Srini Regolare

I do not fill nitrogen (I have been doing this for my palio) for my punto. Still the air PSI does not drop more than 1-2 PSI in a month. They tyres are new and I do not think nitrogen is making a difference.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

I guess that's what it finally comes down to.. A person's choice of what works for him/her :)

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

If I've read my car conditions right, then i think a lot has got to do with the way one drives and the road he generally takes.
    If you go over a hump a bit too fast or dive in and out of ditches you're bound to lose tyre pressure (I'm talking about Air). I've also noticed that on highways when i drive even after 300km there will hardly be any drop in pressure, But the same 300kms in city would mean I would be down by at least 3-4psi
  9. nand_nand

nand_nand Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    I had filled nitrogen on my Punto as TASS people told me it will be much smoother.. but I have driven for 200kms and I did not see any difference.. :-( Is it ok if we mix nitrogen and air as I am not able to find any pump where they have nitrogen.. I will have to travel 22kms from my home to fill Nitrogen which is waste of fuel and time.. Whether I will have any problem if I mix nitrogen and air ?
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Air is 70% nitrogen. Absolutely no issues if you top up with regular compressed air.