1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Nitrogen - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Dec 30, 2010.

1. nskumar

nskumar

COIMBATORE
    they never charge me for filling nitrogen here in coimbatore/.bridgestone tyre care on avinashi road.
  2. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    1 person likes this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Water in the tires.:confused:

I've never noticed that till date.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I used Nitrogen for some time, after changing my tyre. I didn't feel any advantages as found on internet.
    The air leakage, in my case, is similar with both. Smoothness is also same.
  5. @Ravi, i was also taken away by the tyre centers and filled nitrogen to my santro. Did a complete research later and found that there is NO advantage of having nitrogen. It is really a waste of money. One of the article i read has this result:

Filled nitrogen air in one tyre and normal air [71% nitrogen to be precise] in another and kept them for an year. The nitrogen filled tyre had lost 1 PSI and normal air filled one 2 PSI.

More over spending 30 Rs for each tyre is certainly a complete waste of money, there is no difference in ride or tyre life, what so ever. Better to stick to normal air as you can get this topped up everywhere. For nitrogen you have to go to a particular shop to get it refilled. Considering all the headache and with no or very little gain, i have long back dropped filling nitrogen
  6. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    the ride will not get magical if you fill nitrogen. it works this way. you fill normal air when the tyre is cool. when you drive on the highway at high speeds the normal air inside the tyre expands and makes your ride bumpy (only by a margin, not like you have stone fitted instead of tyres). whereas nitrogen filled tyres do not expand because nitrogen is a cool gas. so the ride quality remains the same.
    again tyre wear and tear because of friction and this friction is greater when the tyres are hot. remember the benefits of tubeless tyres over tube tyres- the tube does not make friction with the tyre in a tubeless tyre and thus they run cooler. nitrogen takes this funda a step further.
    so such benefits are not noticed in a short period but MAY BE it has its benefits in the longer run.
    i somehow find the nitrogen thing logical if nitrogen really does what it is supposed to do- remain cool.
  7. Chethan

Chethan

Bangalore
    Hi,

I would recommend filling up nitrogen based on my below personal experiences

> After the first fill (32PSI) on my GP, i have drove it for 4000kms in two months and when i checked for top up after that, only 1-2PSI was reduced.
    > And i have been using it on my bike unicorn as well since more than two years and i check only after 6 months though i used to drive atleast 2k kms per month mostly long drives...
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    does nitrogen filling helps as comppared to normall air filling ?
    i'm planning to do it for all 4 wheels...
  9. yes it does as i have seen in my case...
    i have taken a package for one year in which they charge 500 and i can refill n number of times..
  10. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Sorry guys i don't agree with you. To be frank Nitrogen is a blunder! Our natural air contain some of 78% of Nitrogen. Next 21% won't make any different story.

Yes, interval between those air filling is less then you should check your ''Valve Pin.''
    If you coverd approx. 500kms then yes, it will show difference in reading.
    Make sure, pump from where you fill air is having error free. I have seen last time when i fill 33psi on a new pump & later Italia-linea checked it with his own device it turns out to be very low in one of the wheel & too much high in right rear wheel.