1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Nitrogen - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When I changed my tyre, the guys suggsted me to take Nitrogen instead of normal air.
    He listed some benefits as -
    • Less pressure loss (once in 3 months check is sufficient)
      Keep air temperature cooler than normal air
      The rides will be smoother
    What your experience says?
    I have filled nitrogen this time, is it ok to top it with normal air, or I will always have to take nitrogen?
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    With natural air having 70% Nitrogen, I am not sure how much rest 30% make difference. Yes nitrogen is very stable and is less prone to leakage, but then we generally visit petrol pumps at least once a month, just get air filled up again and it goes fine. No harm in trying 100% nitrogen, but then it surely doesnt provide high values for the money invested, given that we get free air at all petrol pumps.
  3. amolmane

amolmane Guest

Ravi,

These are only marketing tacties & Only Sucking of Money. :thumbs down
  4. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Don't know about smoother rides but I check my nitrogen pressure in 2 months and there is only about 1-2 PSI pressure loss. For air I think this pressure decrease comes in about 2 weeks
  5. extr3mex

extr3mex Amatore

Cochin
    Well I use nitrogen for my ride. Filling air or nitrogen is almost the same. The main difference that you would probably notice is that the rate of leakage of nitrogen would be less when compared to air .
  6. arulvr

arulvr Amatore

Bangalore
    hey Ravi...where did u change the tyres ? and what was the deal?

Back to your queries..
    - You only got to check the pressure once in two months or post any long ride. I use Nitrogen just for this fact. Hate those crowded air filling stations.
    - It won't do any harm to mix nitrogen and the air
    - Smoothness, not sure how you define, but am happy with nitrogen but there ain't any difference between the two.
    - spending Rs40 / two month ain't a big deal

So, it all comes down to what you are looking for. To me, waiting in cramped petrol station for minutes to fill the air is painful as compared to taking the car to the nearest Tyre Care professional (Blr) + these guys can check your tyre treading, wheel balancing, alignment when required (you visit them only once in 2 or 3 months for topping the nitrogen)
  7. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Same place as you suggested, Tyre Professional. Thanks.

You are right, but the alternative is to go to Tyre Professional each 3 months once. And going from BTM to Kanakpura main road is no easy job either.

They charged me Rs. 150, may be 1st time they charge more and less on top-ups.
  8. arulvr

arulvr Amatore

Bangalore
    yeah..first time around its 150..for top-up the charge less than 50, and some time for no charge...
    Can you share the details on the new tyres ? Make/rate ? I pbly might go for a change sooner.. thanks !
  9. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  10. amolmane

amolmane Guest

Already there is 70 % Nitrogen in Atmosphere. I request to members to save MotherEarth.

We should try to keep the proper Balance of Environment.