1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Night drive: Give your comments, experiences, tips etc

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sungoa2010, May 7, 2012.

Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are feeling sleepy don't ever tailgate any Vehcile . You will tend to loose concentration and fell sleep. I have experianced this in past.
    1 Try to talk to co-passenger, use dipper as u much u can especially in State Highways to see road clearance.
    2 Avoid nearing Medians at this time.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    In such situation, you should not drive in the first place. Best thing to do will be to stop the car at a safe place and sleep for 10-15 mins (power nap) and then continue. That will refresh you.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

If you feel sleepy, take a power nap - do not even try to drive under the influence of sleep. I have done my fair share of whole night rides, and have found that it is better to take a power nap at the moment you feel sleepy. Being on the bike, you need to be extra cautious because the cool night breeze on your face is a very good sleep inducer.
  4. Its better to take power nap of 30 mins or more.. after sleeping for that short time you will be more drowsy..

In case you are too sleepy but need to drive, make it a point to stop every 30 mins and clean the glasses, check the tyres, small walk helps to battle sleep...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    There is a video posted in the you tube thread with tips for night driving
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Unless I need to get somewhere at a specified time or ASAP (in case of some emergency / unplanned trip), I avoid night driving. I am far more comfortable taking in the sights in broad daylight, rather than having to focus on a dark stretch, watching out for trucks with out tail lights, parked vehicles without any hazard indications, in the face of all the upgraded HID kit / projector clad inconsiderate folks driving towards me with high beams on, with the fog lights on as well, for good measure.

But when the situation demands a night drive, I always carry some chocolate and carbonated water (soda) with me. The moment I feel drowsy, I pull over, wash my face with soda and munch on a piece of chocolate, so that I am alert enough to get to the nearest safe place where I can pull over and park safely and get a proper nap. I am not a big fan of power naps of very short - 15 mins / 30 min - duration. The nap does very little to make me alert. But, that is just me, I guess. There a lot of folks here and elsewhere who strongly advocate power naps and pushing themselves to the limit. I don't think I have that kind of mental/physical strength. So, for me, if it is a planned drive - early morning start. Unplanned, sudden drive - take it easy. There is a problem somewhere that needs my presence / attention, which is the very reason I am undertaking this drive. I would only worsen the situation by ending up in an hospital or even dead.

My 0.02

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    during night drives when feeling sleepy, i prefer rajnigandha pan masala.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Night driving has its own advantages and disadvantages.
    One need to judge and decide.
    For me day or night doesn't make more difference.
    While night driving -
    1. Don't drive if you are feeling sleepy, this is THE most dangerous thing to do.
    2. I keep speed less than 80KMPH whatever the road condition is.
    3. I normally take less breaks in night than day drive.
    Actually power naps shouldn't be more than 30 mins. It should be ideally 15-20 mins.
    I have taken power nap only once, and it worked for me after 2nd nap.
  9. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

If the roads are good and having wide median so that it completely covers the high beam of oncoming traffic, I prefer night drive. Nothing like it.
  10. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Please try to post it in our Youtube thread.