1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Night drive: Give your comments, experiences, tips etc

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sungoa2010, May 7, 2012.

1. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

this can happen even during the normal hours.. what has to happen has to happen.. morning or night has nothing to do with it..
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    I generally avoid night driving...but it has happened quite a few times that I ended up in a situation when I had to do long drives at night. I am little careful and try to follow other cars, keep distance with it so as that I get enough reaction time. Also, I dont rush - so if someone is honking and want to overtake I let them go. Keep high beam always if there is no lightings otherwise low beam headlamps.
  3. xler

xler Novizio

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    A few basic precautions and night driving is as good (or as dangerous) as day time driving.

1. Get plenty of rest prior to the drive.
    2. Stock up on water and coffee/tea and biscuits/cookies/chocolates etc
    3. Carry a good torch. Check availaibility of tools, jack, hazard triangle. Check tyre pressure, brake/engine/coolant/power steering fluid levels
    4. Top up windscreen wash fluid.
    5. Check all your lamps are functioning correctly.
    6. Set your in cabin rear mirror to anti glare.
    7. Relax. Drive steadily at a comfortable speed even if the roads are empty
    8. Increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front to accomodate slower reflexes.
    9. Use low beam when driving behind another vehicle or if there is another vehicle from the opposite side
    10. Flash headlights at every blind turn. Be alert and be prepared to avoid anyone person/animal crossing the road. Be alert for any vehicle parked/broken down ahead of the blind turn.
    11. Flash your lights beforing overtaking. Allow the driver in front to let you overtake.
    12. Avoid stopping just round a corner or at the top of a slope. Stay off the road and if hat is not possible, make sure you are clearly visible.
    13. Pull off the road find a safe place (toll booth/dhaba) and take a power nap if you feel sleepy.
    3 people like this.
  4. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    I like night drives more than day drive.. since kerala highways are too much crowded on that time..If I have to go from trivandrum to Calicut I could do less than 6hrs in night.. but it will take morethan 8 hrs in the day time + lunch ,breakfast breaks etc. In night we can do it in single stretch..and off course better FE will be there. I get my maximum(23km/l) during one night trip.
  5. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Set the speed limiter to 100 so that you will be alert on overdoing the speed.

Park the car aside with hazard lamps on by 4, sleep for 2 hours and drive ahead.

Put your father-in-law/father if he is traveling with you as co-passenger. He never sleeps and never lets you drive hard.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have that buzzer set to 100Kmph,on highways especially we consistantly keep doing above 100 Kmph.
    Let me tell you how we fool ourselves above 100Kmph, buzzer comes and goes away :D sometimes this makes us feel that we are below the limiter value.
    buzzer should be ringing continously like the seat belt alarm ?

if your luck is bad anything can happen at anytime.Dont be so much cautious when you are fit and fine.
    if you are feeling sleepy take the car aside and have hazard lights ON or have a halt to the nearest fuel station.

Exactly... :D
    if its gf or spouse she will tell "honey, take the car aside and have a nap" ::V
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Exactly happened to me last week....
    I was travelling to my Village with dad, i was doing 140 Km/hr ..as the road was clear. I was thinking that i am cruising at 110 - 120. My Dad noticed and warned me that i am doing 140+ and scolding continued till we reached destination :) . Its good to set the buzzer at 100 . With out buzzer we cant really notice the speed of this tank .
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shashank,
    MOst of the time we fluctuate between above 100 and below 100 so what happens is that we doesnt come to know @ what speed we are doing and also not bother to see the ODO(during night drives especially we never come to know the speed) as human tendency :confused:.

This is repititive buzzer occuring in events,unlike seat belt which keeps on ringing.
  9. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Depending on Highway we can set that limit to 120 or so. Yes it irritates . Earlier i used to set 120. When i was going to warangal i got frustrated with beep sound and set that limit to 145:)
    1 person likes this.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Did you notice that it beeps only when you cross the set limit and not after you have crossed it. Means, if you set the max speed to 120 and you are driving 125-135 constant, there wont be beep :)
    May be it is programmed to beep when it touches max speed limit and not to continue beeping after crossing it!