1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Night drive: Give your comments, experiences, tips etc

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sungoa2010, May 7, 2012.

1. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    The technical requirements have been beautifully covered by Ganges and Tron.

But still the foremost thing you will require is a fresh body and absolutely tension free mind. If you are not accustomed to night driving, then you may always a carry certain anxiety at the back of your mind and this will take a toll on your body. So you need to have proper rest etc. before the journey so that your body is fresh. Then, as Ravi Sir has already said, you should take a break at the slightest hint of dizziness.

Secondly, the person sitting to your left (mostly wifes, in case one is travelling with family) also has to be awake during the journey and she can discuss any topic with you during the journey. The topic is not at all important, but this chatting will keep you awake through the journey.

Last but not the least, ensure that the road is safe for night driving like you are not crossing any reserve forest area or any naxal infested area.

Once you venture out at night, I am sure you will start loving it.
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    4 people like this.
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I prefer to drive at night or early morning hours... mainly because of less traffic and pedestrians..
    I agree with above post above power naps, snacks and coffee..
    I always carry come chocolates.. they help a lot to ease stress at the same time keeps us awake..
    i have heard energy drinks helps keep us awake... but during my recent trip to Goa.. in my return journey.. i took some 3 red bulls.. but i still felt tired a heavy eyes.. may be it did help.. some how i dint feel so..

Always carry the spare bulbs, a flash light and some basic tools...
  3. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Few tips from my experiences of driving at night are as follows

Some tips before you leave would be

1. Ensure that you have got enough sleep and proper food before you set out. (Do not over eat as it may make you feel sleepy)
    2. Carry more than enough water as you may need it in case you go slow or take a stop for a nap.
    3. Carry some food like biscuits, bread butter sandwich, chocolates etc which may be of help in case you need to take a snack.
    4. Do a basic check of air pressure in all 5 tyres, coolant, water in the wiper fluid container etc before you leave.
    5. A torch will come handy if you stop or need to look around the vehicle (when you stop).
    6. Make sure that the red reflector triangle is in the car boot (as it can be handy in a tricky situation and also can be placed some distance from the car if need be).
    7. Ensure that your car jack is in place and working.
    8. Use parking lights if you take a stop close to a lit area or space (next to a toll, dhaba etc). If you stop randomly off the road use the hazard lights (preferably with the parking lights).
    9. Whenever you stop, before anyone gets down, look in the mirror for vehicles which may come from behind.
    10. Wipe your front glass clean from the inside as well as outside. Sprinkling some water and using paper tissue to wipe should give you a very clean glass. All three mirrors should also be spotless clean. (Keep your glass clean with the water spray and wipers as heavy traffic / dust can make your glass dirty as you travel)

Some tips while driving would be

1. Use high beam if traffic flow is thin. You will be able to see vehicles (especially trucks, tractors or local taxis which don't have reflectors or tail lights, if there are any on the road you are traveling) better from a longer distance.
    2. Flash lights when over taking other vehicles.
    3. If a really big / long vehicle is using right side turn signal indicator without slowing down on a straight road, most probably that vehicle is not going to turn. The driver is trying to indicate that you may over take that vehicle (and the turn signal indicator is to help you judge the length of that vehicle).
    4. If an oncoming vehicle comes aggressively with head lights glaring at you, then watch the left front side of the road illuminated by your left fog or low beam. This will help you judge how much space is there for you to move to the left without going off the road. Kindly do this only if the road height is substantial than the gravel and you do not wish to go off the road.
    5. Have some one next to you who may engage in some chit chat on and off when it gets monotonous. Take a break around every 2 hours to stretch your legs and feel fresh when you get back on the driving seat.
    6. Take a 20 min to half an hour nap at the first sign of feeling sleepy. Your journey time may extend but the life of the occupants including you is invaluable. If you feel uncomfortable simply stop at the closest well lit area with activity (mostly a toll), take rest and continue the journey at sunrise. Risky travel is never worth it.
    7. Accustomed night drivers will use right side turn signal indicator to help you judge the length of their vehicle or the edge of their vehicle (in case of ST buses, jeeps or small cars) whenever they do a risky over take and you are driving the oncoming vehicle.

It should be easy to maintain a speed in the range of 80 to 120 kmph. Choose wisely as this is subjective to every person.

Have a happy and safe drive.

Cheers!!!

I am open to answer, if you have any questions. The above tips are just off the top of my head as I have driven thousands of kms post sunset (or may be even more than a lakh). It is my preferred time to drive as vehicle lights can be seen on a blind turn and a much faster average speed can be attained with least traffic and signals in city areas.

Amit

P.S. – I am not a taxi driver / driver to any person. Just that my traveling is a lot and the preference is personal vehicle.
    5 people like this.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    i always use high beam on highways at night. i find using low beams on highways dangerous for myself, let alone oncoming vehicles!!
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I really forgot one point.

Mostly when i drive to Kozhikode, my wife will fall asleep after some time. So, i start playing my kind of music and i am sure my kind of music will never put me to sleep. :D

If anyone travels from Bangalore to Waynad/ Kozhikode, check out the stretch from Nanjangud to Gundlupet in the night. The drive is just a surreal experience. It mostly feels that you have descended in a horror movie. Your head lights playing shadows with overhanging trees and the landscape. Its marvelous!!

True, judicious use of high beam is ok.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One more tip :- :D , becareful from angels and demons
  7. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    I feel more sleepy during day time , during nights , oncoming lights and switching beams keeps me busy .
    Keep Coke with you , it has got good amt of caffeine , see your car's lights and not the oncomin's.
    When i was based at Nainital , i used to drive once a month to chandigarh (450kms), my colleague was from shimla , used to tell so many horror stories , night journeys pass very well in horror and thrill.
    In Punto i feel more sleepy as compared to santro or swift , more comfort in Punto.
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  8. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if anyone sees eggs falling on your front windscreen during night drive, don't dare to use wipers instantly.

(robbers on highways use such eggs with chemical on them,which turns the whole windscreen in to a milky white projection,eggs when comes in contact with water does the trick.heard couple on such instances in past).
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Old Wisdom. And I usually try not to over-rule it. My dad is also against night-driving. Though he does not force us not to do it, me and my brother still avoid it. Eventhough I'm 100% confident of night-driving, on the highway, it all depends upon others as well which you can't control.

Just last week, there was a front page news in papers of a freaky accident on Mumbai - Pune Expressway in which 27 "Baraati's" died. The baraat was returning back from Mumbai to Pune & I think it happened at about midnight near khalapur toll naka. And it was so freak that one really curses luck. 2 Minibus & 1 SUV were going together. One minibus got its tyre punctured. So, to repair it, they stopped at the roadside. Few passengers alighted & vehicles were parked back to back. All of a sudden a truck came and rammed the minibus from the rear very hard. The mini bus rammed the rear of other mini bus & so on. The impact was so huge that all individuals who were standing between the vehicles got sandwitched & died.

Next day, Police released a statement that the driver was not drunk but dozed off :( :( :(

I can't even advise someone on night-driving or its tips. Better to follow old wisdom & avoid it is my mantra.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The rule is very basic for me, "Don't disturb my biological clock", this simply means sleep during my regular sleeping time, drive during the regular time when I am awake on any other day.

No matter how prepared you are, how fresh you are, how confident you are, one another guy sleeping off should not let decide your future.