1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Night drive: Give your comments, experiences, tips etc

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sungoa2010, May 7, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I usually avoid night drives mainly because of the fear that I will get sleep and what I will do if something happened to car in between. But after reading many travel reports now think that it is not a bad idea. Inspired mainly from J. Ravi's travelogue. So objective of the thread is to share our experiences about night drive
    which will be very useful for all of us. The only night drive that I did was banglore -Shimogo and since the route was not familiar it was difficult for me to follow the road(2006 the google map was not developed as it today). Other reason is the trucks which I hate to see on roads.
    3 people like this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1.Keep your windshield screen clean.
    2.After every 2 hours of drive take a tea/coffee break.
    3.Use high beam and low beam upto full extent.
    4.Be alert on overtakings with proper gear slotted.
    5.Use horns and flash lights when overtaking trucks,sometimes these people are in sleepy mode.
    6.Judge what kind off vehicle is coming from front sometime you might find a truck coming with single head lamp as well.Also dont take volvos easy while overtaking.
    7.Keep an eye on ODO,we cant judge the speed during night times unless one sees the ODO.
    8.Drive carefully between 3 Am to 6 am,as most of the accidents are found at these timings.
    (this was advised to me by an truck driver ;))
    9.Before leaving for night drive,try to know the road conditions and update on traffic conditions.
    10.Drink more water as you can.:D
    11.Dont stop for the lifts being asked on the highways unless you find something serious or any urgent requirement.
    12.Ask Co-passenger in front seat to be awake and keep doing chit chat.
    13.Use parking lights whenever u halt roadside.
    14.Take care of other vehicles, definitely you will be in safer zone.
    9 people like this.
  3. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Sungoa, Just like you... I also never do Night Driving... Its nothing to do with FEAR or Lack Self Confidence.. But I have lost one of my Uncle so badly, since then night driving is not allowed in my family unless and untill some emergency... even last time when i went to Pune, I wanted to start at night but my dad dint let me go... Started from 5:30 in morning and had lunch at Pune @ 2:30 ;) but that was a fun trip with one of my best buddy accompanying me...

Well, follow the pointers/suggestions given by Ganges and you will be more than safe :p

Cheers...

Neel:)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @Sungoa2010, follow everything stated by Ganges & your night drive won't be difficult.

In last month only, for the first time i did a night drive from Mumbai to Shirdi. And experiance was pretty good.
    Low traffic, low heat, ablity to judge incoming traffic by their lights is + point.
    Where as trucks, low visibility on roads, Incoming Hi-beams are the -ve points.

Here are my few tips.
    1.Have sufficent amount of sleep before drive.
    2. Clean your both windshield with colin or mild shampoo etc. stuff through-out from inside & outside.
    3. Put your rear rear view mirror on ANTI-GLARE mode. So lights from car behind you won't reflect on your eyes.
    4. Drive mostly on low beam & use hi beam frequently to check the surface of road for potholes.(this trick works for me. Continious use of hi beam dosen't help to enlighten the potholes. Inbetween hi-beams highlights the potholes.)
    5. Don't drive too fast & too slow either. Keep the suited & safe pace.
    6. When incoming traffic is using hi-beam, flash towards that car several times. I experianced that 40% people do backoff from their Hi-beams.
    7. Still if oncoming car didn't switched low beams then just keep your Hi-beams on & start following your left-most gravel line of the road so that those Hi-beams won't blind you & push you off road.
    8. While overtaking trucks do HONK & FLASH several times. Do not jump in for gaps! After honking & flashing wait for a bit to let that truck change the lane. I experianced in my night drive that most of the truck-drivers do give you way to move, its just their size of truck won't let em move quickly.
    9. Keep your phone connected to B&M. It helps to minimize a lot of distraction.
    10. Last but not the least ''Keep a nice big HAMMER!!'' Yep you heard me right a HAMMER. And just hope for the best that you don't have to use it. ;-)
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    7 people like this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks Naughty,Tron and Ganges.
    1. One of my friend gave this trick. While raining if the visibility is affected at night, wearing a sun glasses will improve the visibility.
    2. To avoid high beam divert the attention to left side of the door and then look front again.
    3. I usually follow another vehicle if the roads are not good at night. If a hump is there we could be able to predict it much before hitting it.
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    If I start yawning continuously, I park my Linea at a safe place [toll plaza, truck lay-bay area on 4-lane NH, petrol pump, well-lit area within city/town, hotel, dhaba] and have a power nap for about 30 minutes or so. Believe it or not, I feel totally fresh for the next few hours.:) Never I wash my face and continue driving by controlling my sleep. I won't do that because it leads to dozing while driving.
    8 people like this.
  7. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    one more thing..while looking out for oncoming vehicles,keep an eye on whats in front of you..(esp in 2 lane highways)..trucks with dysfunctional/damaged rear lights,tractor trolleys without reflectors,etc etc..they could be really tricky to sight..for this reason keep alternating betn high beam and low beam..

I recall one horrific instance 7 years back- we were roaming rajasthan in a rented indica , it was around 8 in night,pitch dark outside and on the jodhpur highway, our driver failed to spot an elephant (yes u heard it right-elephant with a mahout) :eek: until we were only a few meters from it..the driver applied brakes and we came to a screeching halt inches from the mammoth!! thanked our stars after that!!! :D
    1 person likes this.
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Even though not a very long route, i always drive to Kozhikode from Bangalore in the night so that i hit home in the morning.

• I have generally found it to be peaceful driving in the night except some morons who doesnt follow a fair etiquette with their lights.
    • I generally tend to follow a taxi (No buses and trucks) maintaining a safe distance and without over taking the same (This applies only if the vehicle you are following is travelling in acceptable speed limits).
    • Always carry some black coffee in a flask. Sip it along. nothing beats a good coffee kick.
    • While travelling to Kozhikode, i never had to sleep so far but the last time around when i went to ooty, i was feeling sleepy, so hauled up in a decent location and caught up with a 45 mins of nap. No jokes, that sleep break did wonders.
    3 people like this.
  9. I never driven for a long distance at night. But, some times I use to leave from my office really late. I should confess that, I do really enjoy the empty roads during late hours and drive faster than usual. This is NOT GOOD. Thankfully no incidents / accidents happened. During night times one should stick to speed limit.

Also, one should watch for drunk-eds walking in dark roads...
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    carry some chewing gums/biscuits/chocolates, chew/take them at hourly intervals and drink plenty of water. It will help a lot for new night drivers in overcoming the initial hiccups of long night drivers.

I prefer night drives because no nuisance of pedestrians, cattle during night drives.

If you are going in new route then follow a vehicle traveling at decent speeds so that you will get fair idea of speed breakers, pot holes ahead.