1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Next Generation Fiat Linea to Launch in 2017

Discussion in 'Fiat Global News' started by cassini, Nov 12, 2014.

1. cassini

cassini Novizio

Bangalore
    Germany
    Grande Punto 1.3
    "According to recent reports, Fiat has invested $520 million on developing the new sedan that will be replacing the Linea across Eastern Europe and Turkey where it is currently being sold. With a total of three models being developed including the next generation Linea and the Bravo hatchback, the sedan will be based on the new US Wide platform that also underpins the 500L and Jeep Renegade in the Italian automaker’s lineup."

http://www.motorbeam.com/2014/11/12/next-generation-fiat-linea-to-launch-in-2017/
    khurshid and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I guess this all-new Linea will NOT come to India, with the Palio-platform (lightened) based all-new Grand Sienna replacing the current Indian Linea, instead?

At least that's what their five-year plan for India, announced recently at their global conference, says. And: since confirmed by Autocar, based on Fiat Asia-Pac sources.
  3. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    Replacing Linea with Grand Sienna for India. Man, this is really a bad strategy. Grand Sienna cannot be a good replacement for a great product like Linea.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The all-new Linea will, apparently and unlike the current one, have to compete in the hardcore markets: Western Europe and even the US of A (badged Dodge).

It will be built to engineering, safety and material standards that will make it into a D-segment car for the purpose of pricing in India. Hence, we'll be getting the all-new grand Sienna instead, apparently, built off a heavily modified, lightened Palio platform, designed in Brazil, same one as underpinning the new small SUV also promised for early 2016.

That's what I've been able to glean from Fiat's global and local five year plans available on the net, a very credible, industry-insider-filled forum like Allpar, and other sourced reports available on the internet.

I don't have the slightest problem with that: if it's anything like the Palio/Sienna/Petra in build, ride, space, handling etc, but roomier, lighter, peppier and with more 'latest features', and with Italian style, all at say 8-10 lakhs: great! Class-best, just like the current Linea is. :)
    mangeshtendulkar and asimpleson like this.
  5. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
  6. swgaan

swgaan Amatore

MH-46
    Panvel, Maharashtra
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This cannot be FIAT, look at the design of ORVM, its not like all other FIAT's
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Not for India, apparently.

If at all: we'll get the not-yet developed all-new Grand Sienna off the Palio platform, rather than this 'Linea' of the Small US Wide platform. This 'Linea' is for Europe and Turkey+ME/NAfrica, and presumably will also be the basis for the promised Chrysler 100 compact sedan and/or the Dodge hatchback for the US. i.e., much too high-spec and expensive to compete in India, given the state of the 'Fiat' brand-equity in the wider car bazaar here?
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/115042192586/next-generation-fiat-bravo-spied-undergoing-testing

The hatch avatar of the all-new Linea i.e., the Bravo replacement, and probably to be offered in the US as a Dodge (in some form) is now also begun testing. The image here is clearly a mule with Punto body-parts.

These cars are obviously not for India (too big, too expensive to localize profitably), and the Punto itself will see no replacement in Europe either. Instead the latter will be supplanted by yet another avatar of the 500: a 5-door version this time.

i.e., Marchionne made the deliberate decision to focus completely on the 500 line-up in Europe and on jeep, pretty much abandoning all other hatch and sedan and wagon segments during the recession. To prevent the huge losses the other firms racked-up, and also to get the Italian production facilities re-tooled for much higher-end and expensive/premium manufacturing, namely for Alfa Romeo, maserati and of course ferrari.

But now that the Euro automotive market is rebounding strongly, they're moving into the non-aspirational/emotional/500-based segments as well with this 'Linea' sedan and with this 'Bravo' hatch, but this time with a lowcost r&d and manufacturing base, i.e., Turkey. To be positioned between Dacia and Skoda it seems, i.e., somewhat below VW/Renault/PSA/Opel in price though not 'value'.

No sign of mules or even rumours about either the Fiat b-suv, the promised Punto-replacement for non-Europe (esp Brazil and India) or the promised all-new Grand Sienna meant to supplant the Indian Linea in 2017.

And so it seems 2017 will be the earliest we'll see any all-new car launch under the Fiat brand in India? :(

That's ok by me personally provided one of them is the 500X even if only in 2017/18?:p
  9. avi_loveindia

avi_loveindia Amatore

FiatLand
    Grande Punto 1.2
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @avi_loveindia

Thanks for that. Not for India, it seems though, as per their perspective plan we get the new Grand Sienna in 2017 apparently (lightened Palio platform not SUSW). Though as ever there are rumours that we might get a ckd/part-localized Viaggio/Ottimo here next year? Just rumour mongering. We'll know all at the AutoExpo (Jeep launch etc) in Feb 2016 I am guessing.
    avi_loveindia likes this.