1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Next change tyres for the Punto Dynamic MJD

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by deba, Jan 27, 2013.

1. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    185/70/14 gives (18.5x0.70)x2+2.54x14=614.6mm
    619.6-614.6=5mm:confused::confused:
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    For calculating GC difference, one needs to find out the difference in rolling radius and not the diameter.

Here is the calculation for the tyre sizes discussed in this thread:

deba.JPG

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  3. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    165x80xR14-185x70xR14.png

- - - Merged Post - - -

how can v calculate Rolling radius? is it circumference/(2x3.14)??
    1 person likes this.
  4. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    so 2.5mm difference in GC
    1 person likes this.
  5. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So with a 195/65/14 profile tyre I will lose around 3mm of GC compared to 165/80/14 tyres which I have right now. So the amount of rubber I get for losing just 3mm of GC I guess the change is worth it.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes...
    Tire size calculator
    1 person likes this.
  7. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks man. Given the road conditions here a good GC is a must but also wider rubbers for that extra stability and good braking as a good part of my driving is in hilly roads with steep descents and tight turns and the ocassional mad drivers you come thru in the highways.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I have the Punto 2012. So even if I lose about 3-4mm of GC I will still have a decent GC of 180+mm. So I feel the upgrade is worth it. What say?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    yeah.. since you have 2012 model, nothing to worry about GC while upgrading.. but I have 2011 model so losing any GC further affects me since kerala roads are not good. I will be doing upgrade only after installing GC kit which will give same GC as of 2012 models
  9. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Guys, though I calculated diameter, the GC difference was arrived at by comparing radius only. I guess the calculation was correct. Deba had mentioned 165/80/R14 as stock tyre size which was taken as base.
  10. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    hmm your calculation was right. I made mistake by taking the diameter...:D It should calculated be either by taking radius or sidewall height.
    The Difference in GC of 195/65 with stock tyre will be around 5mm and with 185/70 will be less by 2.5mm..since he own 2012 model its not a problem I think
    1 person likes this.