1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Next change tyres for the Punto Dynamic MJD

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by deba, Jan 27, 2013.

1. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The Punto dynamic MJD has 165/80/14 section JK tyres which frankly doesnt seem enough given the weight of the car, specially while braking hard and cornering. So i am planning to go for a wider 195/70/14 or 195/65/14 tyres. So how much of ground clearense will i lose if i change to 70 or 65 section tyres, and also can someone give some advice on which makers tyres to go for.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    deba, 185/70 on 14" wheel is best and suitable tyre size. GC is almost same.
    1 person likes this.
  3. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi deba,

You can calculate your tyre diameter by 2x(width x aspect ratio) + rim dia. Just convert all dimensions to same unit before calculation. For example dia of 165/80/R14 = (16.5cm x0.80)x2 + (2.54x14) = 61.96cms (or 24.394 inches).

195/70/14 gives you a diameter of 24.748 inches or 62.86cms. About 4.5mm increase in GC.

195/65/14 gives you dia of 23.98inches or 60.91cms. About 5mm decrease in GC.

Hope this helps. You can find numerous tyre upsize calculators if you just google as well.

Guru's do correct mistakes if any :)

[EDIT] Just saw Ravi's post. Yes the GC change is very minimal.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. deba

deba Amatore

itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ravi okay then maybe i should go for the 185 tyres then instead of the 195 considering i'll have the same 14" rings.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks guys, after seeing the replies and some calculations (Thanks to snck) i guess i'll go for the 185/70 tyres for my next change. Considering the road conditions that i sometime come through the GC is very important, so i was worried that i may compromise GC for the sake of better driving dynamics. Well actually i wanted the best of both worlds :D.
    2 people like this.
  5. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For look + Wider tyre -- 195/60 with Linea R15 Steel wheels.. Ground Clearance is almost Same as active may be Decrease in 2mm
    1 person likes this.
  6. deba

deba Amatore

itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That sounds good.
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have recently added Linea 15" Steel wheels with wheel caps .. Look has totally changed.

100_2695.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  8. deba

deba Amatore

itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow that really fills the gap and looks more solid, what bout your old rims. So how much did it cost and where did you get those? Those look like alloys. How bout a few more pics.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  9. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rims cost you 1000 each . Wheel caps - 352 Rs
    Total - 4000 + 1408 = 5408 Rs .
    I got them from Concorde - Dairy circle - Bangalore . My Cousin picked them from Bangalore. I have old rims and tyres with me . I may sell them or keep them as back up.
    Yes i will upload rest of pics in the evening.

Our forum members SHAMS and SIDINDICA were first to upgrade 15" Steel rims on Punto Active and Dynamic. Check out below links.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3-mjd/2423-journey-punto-18.html
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/photography/7738-gp-dynamic-chronicle-pictures-3-print.html

10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Those wheel caps look even better than the alloys, if i dare say. A good move.:up
    1 person likes this.