1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

news on the all-new ALFA ROMEO sedans, coupes and sports CUVs coming very soon

Discussion in 'Fiat Global News' started by prabhjot, May 14, 2015.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot : I bow down in respect to this car's interiors. Right from the jet engined looks of the AC vents to the asymmetry of those gorgeous pedals with the dead pedal, this car's dashboard can be rightfully called a cockpit. And the reduction in the number of buttons makes it look more sturdy. But yes, the Italian look is now gently replaced by a fusion of old and new. But in classic Italian style, they have pulled it off.

However, looking at the Hyundai Creta's launch and all the ballyhoo around it, I don't have much hopes for high class and well made cars in India. Although the reviews clearly state that the Creta's dynamics and handling are lousy, it will still sell in oodles as it will have all the trims like back massagers and foot mirrors which as we all know are "very" important in a car.

Coming back to FCA, they must be thinking really hard now to get a foothold back in India. Differentiation might help but if they need to grow vertically, then they have to satisfy atleast one segment. Sure they can stick to Jeeps and Alfas but there is no recognition for them in India. People wouldn't know where to slot them. Neither the upper class German category or the mass market transport category.

Just food for thought, of late I am seeing that nearly all old cars which are being restored to former glory seem to be only Fiats. Not even the Amby. So there is something still alive in this brand. I wish the company sees it too and atleast gets a good PR and advertising team to start selling the products. Because I am fairly certain that the Guilia's interiors will be copied in the next Hyundai Verna and will be hailed as a pioneer in the automotive industry in India. That one photo is enough for the Koreans to backward engineer the whole thing and bring it out very quickly. Copyrights be damned.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I got a hard on looking at that car!!!

But everything said Fiat does need a volume segment to keep the things alive here. I really don't know what's stoping them getting the Uno & Panda & Palio here. Those are pretty chick cars for the size and those really have the potential to get some market share esp in metros. As is if their factory isn't being stressed much then why not produce a thousand models of these smallies every quarter, just introduce and keep an eye on the demand. I can bet looks matter a lot to indian buyers & with 1.2 petrol & 1.3 MJD these smallies will sell very well since here they may not feel sluggish as in the bigger punto. I'm not saying they'll overnight be bigger than maruti or hyundai but they can certainly tilt a bit of the market even if it's not a highly competitive price. This experiment Fiat should defenitely try.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.quattroruote.it/news/fot...a_romeo_nuove_foto_dei_muletti_della_suv.html

Mule of the next-all-new Alfa Romeo: a sporty CUV, a competitor to the Porsche macan, BMW X3/4/5, merc GLC etc.

The all-new rwd platform and architecture/parts is scalable, and will be used on most of the bigger FCA brand cars, as will the new engines: esp the new, and class-best, 2.2 litre aluminium multijet2 diesel and a new 2.0 litre (twin?)turbopetrol, as base engines, let alone the high-powered Ferrari derived one in the Giulia QV shown in Milan 2 weeks ago. Maserati, Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler too will use this platform, and variants of these engines. They may not, however, use composites-cum-aluminium-cum-smc as much as the Alfa-s. Also, several hybrid powertrain variants are supposed to have also been developed/undergoing testing, for use mainly on Chryslers too, and esp for the US, EU and especially China.

The engineering for all this, including rumour has it, very compelling new hybrid-powertrains has been done SUPER FAST and SUPER INEXPENSIVELY, via the deployment of a 'skunk works' r&d lab-type, secret and radically autonomous, hot-house, facility comprising 700 engineers, American, Italian...and Indian, surely?

Or so FCA insiders posting on allpar.com have repeatedly claimed.
  5. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    In another 5 years when I will be ready to buy a luxury vehicle, I hope they have some of those cars in India. At the end of the day, simply by volumes India will be an important car market and they have to start doing well in India. It is too important a market to be missed.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

Am certain they will: Ferrari and Maserati are already in the process of launching new, much better, more reputed dealers, starting with Mumbai and Delhi, of course.

The Indian high-end car/suv market will continue to boom, even if the mass-market's stagnant or lost to anyone but 2-4 Jap+Korean firms. India gains in importance at this end of the market, given that China is and will continue to slow down a lot, and fast.

I would hope and expect FCA's showing at the 2016 AutoExpo to be a multi-brand affair, including Jeep of course, but also Maserati and Alfa Romeo (if not Ferrari).

Fiat's own-brand struggles will continue at least through to 2018, that is a given, I've been saying this from the time of the Evo launch. The 'New Avventura', all-new Punto+Linea replacement will've been launched, this time with better dealer infrastructure, better marketing etc, all based on the hard learnings of the Evo+Avventura launches. Or so one would hope.

Personally, i'd never buy a 'luxury' car though I'd be extremely keen on the 500X, maybe the Renegade or even the Mazda-built t-jet 124 Spider.

It will take time, but I hope Fiat and FCA realize soon that their niche, 'premium-yet-mass' Euro-centric models (the 500, 500L, 500X, upcoming 500XL?, 124 Spider...) can pioneer a segment in India. Small-ish cars, expensive but south of say 18-20 lakhs, but with character, class and quality that are splendid. The Abarth 595 and FiatAbarth Punto are a great sign they're coming to terms with the USP-deficit that their mass-market cars have in this car bazaar's preference/priority-ordering culture.

They'll take their time, being conservative with capital, and cautious, having struggled so often in the (recent) past, but one hopes FCA's moving not just with Jeep but with these other brands/sub-brands too. We'll see in 2018.

Alfa Romeo must come to India by then, FCA are you listening, in as-big-as-Jeep way, retailed and serviced at the Jeep dealerships/centres?!
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
  8. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...alfa-romeo-giulia-revealed-by-chief-engineer/

A fascinating, good article from the Giulia's chief engineer's mouth. This car's driving-centric engineering is rare these days, and will be central to the new Alfa Romeo model range's (6-8 cars/sporty cuv-s by 2018) branding, its brand-identity-story-promise.

The tagline for the new Alfa-s will be 'the Mechanics of Emotion' in Italian, which makes it recognizable in any modern language as anything-but-Herr German. ;-)
    varunrtr likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.alvolante.it/news/alfa-romeo-giulia-spy-turbodiesel-342101

The Giulia is also undergoing near-final testing at the Nurburgring for the base-for-Europe (and India if or rather when Alfa is launched here via Jeep dealers in 2018 or later?!) brand-new, all-aluminium, multijet2, 2.2 litre diesel engine, already being offered on the euroean jeep cherokee (this last with a cast-iron engine block, though).

The Giulia with this engine should be plenty fast, given its low weight, and given the hugely impressive (clearly equal or better than the diesels from Ford, VW/Audi, Merc, BMW, Volvo and Jaguar-LandRover) specs and reviews of the engine on the Jeep Cherokee.