1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Newcomer with a used Pearl white 90 HP Punto MJD from Chennai

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AnanthaPrakash, Feb 26, 2016.

1. AnanthaPrakash

AnanthaPrakash Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    This is Anantha from Chennai. Happy to be become a part of this forum as a fiat owner. I have been a visitor to this forum for a long time as an fiat admirer. I may need your advice and support going forward to maintain my punto. I convey my warm wishes to all of you guys reading this intro.

Recently i bought a used 2014 Grande Punto 90hp (MJD).

This would be my fourth car (all are used cars)

My first car was used Indica Turbo DLG. I bought it with 25000 on Odo and used it till 90000 Kms. It was a very good car eventhough i used to give several visits to FNG in a month. This car had taken my family all around tamilnadu.
    The second car is an used Santro (which was bought for my parents) bought with only 9000 on odo. Its running well with 58000 on odo after couple of accidents due to driver negligence. Its still a most reliable car in my books after owning two tata cars.
    The Third car was Manza which i bought after selling beautiful indica. Manza was a problem child from day one and it stayed with my parents due to parking problem here in Chennai. My parents were not happy with its affinity toward TASS. Even i did not like driving it, do not know why..Turbo lag and boat like drive might be the reason..

Fourth Car is Punto which is the most beautiful of the cars i have owned till date no doubt. Only time will tell whether it can earn a place above my indica and santro.
    Punto was bought only due to my regular or daily visits to teamfiat.com. Since its a used Punto which had completed 22 months in the hands of another owner, my expectations are not sky high with this new punto. I have driven around 1500 Kms in these 3 weeks of ownership. Just like marriage there are both love and hate moments.

Memorable moments.
    1. First day rattle free, composed drive to office. Felt lot more powerful than Santro. After Fiat drive Santro which i thought as a wonderful car to drive felt unsafe and dangerous to drive.
    2. My kids ecstacy after seeing the car and they are fond of many button in dashboard. Punto is their current favourite. But they love pointing Ecosport whenever they see one. My wifey too likes punto for its interiors and music system and blue and me calls. May be because this is the first top variant we have in our family.
    3. Collegues appreciation after the first day drive at 80 KM per hr for a tea party couple of kms away from office. we were 6 in the car and the car didnt show any strain. I would say any man would fall in love with this beauty. no doubt
    4. My moms smile from the front seat when i took her for a first ride to Yercaud. My wife and kids took back seat that day
    5. The beauty of the car was lingering in my mind for few days. In my native Karur this punto looks like a imported car with guaranteed admiration.

Sad moments
    1. The sleepless night i had after a week when i checked Rust developments near door hinges, doors and in boot door hinges area. Even though its not in worst condition i did not expect this from less than 2 years old car. The reason for sadness is My indica showed rust only during the last year of its ownership (after its 7th birthday). My 2008 santro which is always parked in road (with body cover) is still in good condition.
    Already i have visited FASS for rust issue and they are passing time for almost 10 days.

2. When i came to know two rear doors are repainted *this is not a big issue as i was expecting something of this sort from a used car.

Let us quickly see the Wows and Ohs

1. Steering- I purposefully took it to Yercaud to enjoy this. I can enjoy them in flyovers in Chennai at 12 PM.
    2. Ride and Handling- the best handling car and best ride in highways
    3. Highway manner--I travel to my native every month (800kms). Safe and secure feeling inside the car. Best than other rides
    4. Brakes--I thought Santro had good stopping power. But punto made Santro a dangerous car to drive in roads. I never had this feel eventhough manza had better brakes than Santro.
    5. Looks--actually i was waiting for used G Punto than Evo. Dont ask me is it beautiful to look at. Its gorgeous with those alloys..
    6. Engine NVH - is much better than Manza and generations ahead of Indica. But Santro still has that creamy edge due to petrol diet.

Oh No...
    1. Turbo lag in city drives.. same as my Manza. Dont ask me why i went for 90 hp instead of 75 hp.. All becoz of this Forum.LOL. I dont understand why all you guys advice the whole world to get a 90 hp Mjd...
    2. Not very Fuel efficient compared to Manza and Santro..I am a very sedate driver but could not reach 20 kmpl mark.
    3. Harsh ride in city roads. May be i have to blame goodyear duraplus tires. But not a deal breaker.
    4. how can i forget this..Ergonomics.. Still i could not come interms with seating position. Punto is testing my patience.
    5. ASS They look good compared to TATA.

Thats all for now. Thanks for allowing me to vent my views...I tried to insert some pics but not able to. Its throwing some error..

WP_20160212_09_00_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20160212_13_33_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160212_17_18_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20160213_11_50_31_Pro.jpg

Punto 1.jpg

Punto_1.png

Punto_2.png

Punto_3.png

Punto_1.png

Punto_2.png

Punto_3.png
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Drive your 90 HP on higher gears and steady speeds like 80-100 km/hr on highways and you would be surprised to see how fuel efficient it is. You would easily get 20+ with this kind of sedate driving. A lot of fiatians have got it before. Having said that, this kind of driving you could have done in 75 hp as well. The extra 15 horses mostly come into play when you cross 3000 RPM and then you would understand why TFIians recommend 90 HP as it's pure fun. For sedate driving 75 HP is more than competent.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    You sound more like a convert who is happy in his new home. Good for you and its a nice feeling for us fiatians too.. Enjoy, at the expense of being addicted for sure. Next car will be difficult to shift to. You are stuck:))

Abdul
  4. AnanthaPrakash

AnanthaPrakash Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Actually the reason for less FE is 100% A/C usage in my Punto. In Manza and in Santro i used to switch off A/C when the weather is good especially during Night drives. In punto i do not want to spoil the black fabric seats and interiors.

Punto_1.jpg

Punto4.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016 ---
    Thanks Turbothinghy and Jumu..
    I too love to take her beyond 3000 RPMs (120KM/hr) once in a while, but worried whether it might affect engine health. But Punto really feels free revving after 2200 rpm (throughout the rev range) and NVH is very less compared to Manza eventhough they both share the same engine. Might be my preowned manza would have had some heart problems..
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    gpunto75, Turbothinghy and varunrtr like this.
  5. AnanthaPrakash

AnanthaPrakash Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Will rust issue be treated by Service center or not, If its under warranty (now my 90hp is 22 months old) ? I have been following Ramkay fiat SA for the same. He is giving some excuses every time i call him. Or are they trying to pass this for another 2 months and say that the Rust cover warranty is over as the vehicle has crossed 2 yrs?? Any similar experience for you guys..
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Well until you aren't redlining your 90 HP everyday I don't think there is any threat to engine. 90 HP has a very sporty engine note in the higher RPMs. So enjoy the free revving nature of your car.

And TFIians have got 20+ FE with 100% AC. So it just depends upon your driving style. I don't get more than 16.5-17 km/ltr on highways as i drive with heavy foot.