1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Newbie seeking suggestions

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by khurshid, Jan 31, 2014.

1. khurshid

khurshid Timido

Tuticorin
    Hi all,

This is my first post in any automotive forums. I'm from Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu (Probably the first member from my district!). Glad to have found out TFI while searching for Linea Ownership review. You guys made me become a fiat enthusiast.

I am looking to buy a sedan in 10L range and as a fiat enthusiast, I am inclined towards the Linea. However, when it comes to owning a fiat, a lot of things come to my mind. A few are
    1. There is no dealer in my city, have to go to Tirunelveli (approx 50kms) from my place for servicing. The dealer is "Rehoboth Cars Pvt. Ltd."
    2. Have read in a thread posted in TFI about that dealer on a punto delivered in poor condition. (http://www.teamfiat.co.in/dealership-reviews/11500-rehoboth-cars-india-pvt-ltd-tirunelveli.html)
    3. Some claim that the cost of spares are a bit high, but not as high as VW or skoda. Need your comments on this.
    4. I am in urgent need of a car, but having read of a facelifted linea to be launched in the auto expo, should I wait for it? or should I buy the existing one?
    5. If I buy an existing one, how about the spares availability after a few years?
    6. I am planning to keep the car for atleast 8years, so I am not concerned about resale.

There are a lot more concerns but I am kind of excited to post my first post/thread in TFI. Kindly give me your suggestions.

Thank you.
    1 person likes this.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Firstly welcome to TFI.

Unless you see it a problem to travel 50 kms to the service center, this should be fine. In Bangalore too, the 3 three service centers are spread out and mostly on the outskirts of the city. So one would anyways travel between 10-25 kms based where the person resides. More so, because the car as 15,000 service intervals or one year. 100 kms to and for in a year should not pose a problem IMO. The niggles/repairs/accidents might require you to visit the service center often which may or may not happen.

On the brighter side, you get to drive more.

Be it any dealer, take the PDI checklist and please make an extra effort in getting the PDI done before delivery. This will avoid the disappointment during the time of delivery

The spares are on par with the other in the market, more to the tune of Hyundai than Maruti. Remember Maruti has the economies of scale to its advantage. Of course the VW/Skoda would be costlier in terms of spares as well as service.

The launch of the facelifted Linea is not too far off. Hold on for a week until the car is unveiled at the Auto expo and then take a call.

I dont foresee any spares unavailability for the current version that is being sold in the near future at least.

+1. Beyond 5 years, the resale value is more or less irrelvant.

Please do feel free to share your concerns, the members out here are there to help.
    4 people like this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Krishna has already assuaged all your concerns. I would also suggest browsing through the ownership reviews on this forum and see for yourself the kind of experience owners are having with these FIATs.

Coupled with FIAT's amazing 3 years/1,00,000 km's warranty which is extendable to 3+2/1,50,000 kms, the case for the Linea becomes too strong.

Type away all your concerns and queries. We'll guide you through it.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  4. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    1. 50 kms is not too far considering the regular service interval is 15000 kms / 1 year. Visit the service center & talk to owners whose vehicles are being serviced there to get a better idea of the service quality.
    2. Went through that post - It feels like the person is whining about his 'partner in crime' & totally ignoring negligence on his own side which has led to such an experience.
    3. Cost of spares - Linea is cheapest in its class, refer Autocar Aug 2013 issue for details.
    4. 10L should get you a TJet Emotion / MJD Dynamic of the current version. Facelift might lose the offers / discounts that are running or might have increased prices or implications that cannot be predicted. I would buy one right away if I would be in your shoes. Note that I know people who bought a vehicle with Jan 2014 VIN. A friend who inquired last week was told a delivery time of a week.
    5. Spare are supplied for years even after a vehicle is discontinued.

Regards.
    1 person likes this.
  5. khurshid

khurshid Timido

Tuticorin
    Dear All,

Thanks for your immediate response. I will be having a TD done next week and also will have a look at the service facilities available.

Are there any thread that has the frequent niggles faced along with its causes and fix? (sorry to bother) Lets see how the TD goes and then I shall decide. Hope to start an Ownership thread very soon!

Earlier, while going through other automobile forums, I used to wonder why people are researching a lot and thinking of several factors while buying a car (may be because we own a Maruti 800, each and every mechanic knows how to repair it). Now that I am about to buy one, I am facing the same. Just came to know that buying a car is a difficult task.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  7. khurshid

khurshid Timido

Tuticorin
    Hi all,

Yet to do TD since am waiting for my brother-in-law to arrive from abroad (Anyhow fixed on the linea :dance). I have a few queries regarding the finance options.

1. What is the minimum down payment required for buying a new car?
    2. I will be getting the loan only through private financing companies, what is the rate of interest till which i can negotiate?
    3. Freebies I could get from the dealer and additional discounts from the dealer?

Thanks
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    01. Minimum down payment depends upon maximum loan offered by the bank. In most public sector banks, you get a maximum loan of 85% of the price of the car.

02. It varies a lot from time to time and bank to bank. I prefer public sector banks/State banks. e.g. SBI, Indian bank etc.
    Private banks have higher rate of interest. 2 months back, the local branches were offering loan at 10.20% per annum I guess.

03. Freebies and discounts depend upon your negotiation skills and the sale of cars at that dealer vs the stock of cars available. You can get even 1 lac discount if there is still a 2013 model Punto/Linea available with the dealer.
  9. khurshid

khurshid Timido

Tuticorin
    Thanks a lot Paddleshifter!

How about buying a jan2013 model? they told me that they have one and will provide a discount of 15,000 (funny I guess). I haven't negotiated with them, waiting for my brother-in-law to arrive. As told earlier, I am planning to keep the car for atleast 8 years and if I buy a car that has been idle for an year, will it have any effects after 3-4 months or so?
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    jan 2013 and discount 15,000/- which model?
    Simply sounds a shoddy practice.
    Strict no no for me, when I have seen over 50k-1L discounts in late 2013 models along with ongoing offers.