1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Newbie in teamfiat--Need information (keep palio or buy NEW)

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Navdeep, May 17, 2011.

1. Navdeep

Navdeep

New Delhi
    Hi All Fiatians,

I am new entrant in team fiat. I belong to Amritsar and currently working at Delhi

I am planing to buy Linea MJD. By going through your threads, I have got enormous help in finalizing the Linea. I really appreciate you all for putting up such a valuable information.

Now about the information I need...

I also own a FIAT PALIO 1.9D. I bought a used car from Pune in 2008(2004 make) and it was never trouble-free. As it was my first car, I didn't know much about what all to check while buying a used car.
    It had the Fuel Injection problem( Fuel injector light does not go off) but I was still able to drive using some workaround.

Now I have moved to Delhi and brought my Palio with me. Now Palio's ECU has gone(one Mechanic told me).
    I am looking out for some good FIAT mechanic in NCR region.
    I want to keep the Palio as well. Is it worth spending money on the repairs of ECU(~20000) and Fuel injection pump(Rs 4000-18000) ?

thanks in advance for your inputs.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Navdeep paaji, welcome to TFI. I suggest that you visit Elegant cars, Patparganj industrial area (near Aanand Vihar). Talk to Mr OP Sharma and have his opinion. I don't think you will find a more competent person than him.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Welcome aboard Navdeep

We also own a 1.9D Palio since 2005 and had the FIP problem rectified in 2008.

Can you elaborate a bit about the ECU being dead part. How was it diagnosed and whether the car starts up or not?

And i think there's only one recognised centre for the FIP repair, thats in Bombay (ok Mumbai). Do cross check from where the FIP will be repaired, if any mechanic tells you that he can get it sorted.

Also, pay a visit to Mayapuri if you can. I've seen people replacing this engine with others because of expensive spares. You might get a working ECU from there.

Its a rugged car, and if mechanically the engine is fine(simple check- if its not consuming engine oil), then invest in the repairs and enjoy it for another 2-3 yrs.

Gurjinder
  4. Navdeep

Navdeep

New Delhi
    @Gurjinder---- regarding "Can you elaborate a bit about the ECU being dead part. How was it diagnosed and whether the car starts up or not?"

The car starts and remain in that position till you press the accelerator to the bottom. The moment you put your feet off the accelerator peddle the engine stops.
    One mechanic also tried bypassing the FUEL Pump and directly passing fuel to engine, but the result was same.
    The engine when last use was very responsive and had lot of power.

@paddleshifter-- Thanks for the suggestion. I will have the O.P Sharma's opinion on this. Is it a TATA service centre?
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    The only way to confirm is by plugging in a normally working ECU from another 1.9D into your car. Till then , take nothing for granted. If the same problem exists , then its the pump.

Im pretty amazed by the mechanic's attempt at trying to feed directly to the engine, bypassing the pump. That wont work in any diesel engine, with or without ECU's. Even old mechanical ones.

Get hold of a better person to work on your car. Its a pretty complex piece of engineering - the Palio D.

Gurjinder.
  6. Navdeep

Navdeep

New Delhi
    @Gurjinder --Actually plugging the working ECU is bit tricky in a sense that if ECU has gone dead because of some faulty electric wiring(or some short circuit), then it might blow the working ECU as well. Also Palio D are hard to find and no mechanic will have spare ECU and because of its cost factor might not risk with the working ECU. Your thoughts on this...
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    Valid points you put forth.

But the guys to whom i take my car for servicing do it. They are ex- service centre people who opened up their own garage when Fiat shut shop after the Palio days.

So, it all boils down to the expertise of the person handling the car. Im sure in Delhi, there will be a similar garage; of ex- Fiat mechanics.

Another thing is that people who do not know the Palio D inside out, end up with a wrong diagnosis.

So, find an ex Fiat guy. Thats my plan of action.
  8. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Welcome to Team Fiat.

Good to know that you want to keep your Palio. I don't know much about cars, but one of the dealers here in Mumbai is offering exchange for old Fiat Cars. Not sure if this is a scheme offered by Fiat.

Check the same and you can save some green on the new car.
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Palio is the best car i have seen , I really live the look of it specially the Front View, My advice take it to the TASS and check on it, and get the estimation cost, Lets hear it from them.
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Can TASS even work on this Palio?

They would've had training on the Multijet engined Palio. This 1.9 is a different beast.

Lets see.