1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Verna

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by gurjinder, May 12, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Although i'm against talking about cars of other makes on TFI, for this i'll make an exception.
    Since it's bang in Linea territory.

It seems to check a lot of boxes the Indian buyer desires.

What i feel is that it'll cut Vento's sales much more than it can dream of cutting Lineas'.
    Since Linea buyers are not swayed by hearsay and the competition. The ones who are , were the ones buying the botched Verna or the Vento etc.
    The upcoming Fiesta will fight for a share in this pie only (Vento, Verna,Fiesta, ANHC)
    Linea sales will be more or less the same even with this launch.

What do you guys feel?

Gurjinder.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ford is highly snsible now that we are discussing Verna and Fiesta as well. FIAT has been offering Voice commands since ages but just look at Ford. They are already so actively marketing voice commands. Regarding Verna, I guess it will sell like hot cakes. I believe Linea sales might take a hit of 10% because of fluidic verna. After all, a TATA FIAT salesman himself is not aware of the cars inside out.
  3. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    People can say what they want about Hyundai, but the can't take it from them that hyundai actually listens to customer demands. I do not necessarily give this credit to the Indian division, but Hyundai head quarters does so. This resulted in Hyundai becoming one of the biggest car manufacturers virtually out of nowhere when everyone els was laughing about them.

I like Fiats, but I am happy for Hyundai as they deserve the success.
  4. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If I was in the market for a 1.6 Diesel Sedan : I would put my money in the new Verna.

Linea sales might take some hit : but I see Vento getting affected the most.

Well - No harm talking about other cars - In fact, personally, I would enjoy discussing other cars. I guess your fear is that the thread turns into a "brand bashing" thread ?
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    @amogh

Brand bashing and i dont want TFI becoming 'the definitive indian auto blah blah' :)
  6. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So, out of curiosity, I went to check the Fluidic(New) Verna at a Hyundai dealership while returning home since I had some free time. I would say that it is miles ahead of Linea in terms of overall package (features+interiors) though Linea excels in terms of number of features, build quality, design, length equivalent to luxury cars and ride quality.

Oh! And I got an 8 page brochure made up of quality material, highlighting every single feature of the car. They say that "Speed sensing door locks" are a segment first feature in New Verna though this is a hidden feature in Linea since the past 3 years.

New Verna:
    Pros:
    - Lots of special features (including segment first features): keyless start stop, smart key with illuminated buttons, 6 airbags, auto folding mirrors, 1.6 liter engine, 16 inch alloys, all 4 disc brakes, parking sensors and camera.
    - Lots of useful features: hand remote for car stereo, quality music system, USB with all variants with music system, AUX, even iPod cable comes along with the car, auto day night mirror,Clean air cluster ionizer, leather seats.
    - Interiors better than a VW, Skoda or any brand you throw at it. Interiors speak of quality everywhere I see.
    - Hyundai's sensible marketing department will make it a success coupled with Hyundai's A.S.S.

Cons:
    - Ride quality and handling dynamics are as pathetic as before (as per reports).
    - Electric power steering.
    - Build quality is typically Korean/Japnese only.
    - Maintenance cost of new gen Hyundai cars.
    - Front looks are still deformed though less than before (subjective). Besides it looks like an i10 now.

EDIT- Maybe a new car at dealership looks like drool material. :p but I have tried to be honest in saying what all I felt after checking the car. :ugeek:
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    What fascinates me are the four engine options -
    Petrol
    1.4 litre VTVT delivering 107PS@6300rpm of maximum power and 13.8Kgm@5000rpm of peak torque
    1.6 litre VTVT engine with 123PS@6300rpm maximum power and 15.8@4200rpm peak torque

Diesel
    the Common Rail diesel 1.4 litre CRDi with 90PS@4000rpm max power and 22.43kgm@1750 – 2750rpm of peak torque
    1.6 litre VGT CRDi, with range topping 128@4000rpm max power and 26.5kgm@1900-2750rpm of peak torque..

The super-efficient 1.4 litre petrol engine gives a mileage of 17.43 kmpl (ARAI figures) while the 1.4 litre diesel version clocks 23.5 kmpl, making the new Fluidic Verna the most fuel-efficient car in the segment. (Ref:- http://in.news.yahoo.com/hyundai-launches-the-all-new-verna.html)
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Whoa, serious bhp and torque figures from the diesel.

Would be interesting to see the in gear acceleration times.

FIAPL, if you're listening, its the time to plonk in the 1.6MJD in the Linea. :)

Gurjinder

EDIT - They've launched two diesels?

Man, i'd made a similar suggestion for the Linea a while ago in the suggestion thread. 1.3 MJD & 1.6MJD
    Let there be 1.3 in Active and Dynamic & 1.6 in Emotion and Emotion Pack
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes Gurjinder Paaji!!
    Verna Petrol:...BHP@RPM.........Torque@RPM
    1.4...................107PS@6300.......13.8kgm@5000
    1.6...................123PS@6300.......15.8kgm@4200

Verna Diesel:...BHP@RPM.........Torque@RPM
    1.4....................90PS@4000........22.43kgm@1750-2750
    1.6....................128PS@4000.......27kgm@1900-2750
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I wont mind if they launch the 1.9 MJD :).
    Gurjinder..Something which might be of your interest which I happen to see in some other blog. Just pasting the comment as such..

"Hi everyone, had been to fiat workshop on Mysore road. Saw 2 Fiat Linea's white in color, TC reg. The car were parked inside the workshop and i was not allowed to see the vehicle properly. After eating up the service head's head, he finally told that one was a 1.6 MJD and the other one was a 1.3 MJD auto transmission(Dualogic). According to him the 1.6 MJD will be launched by may end or june. The cars are here for the training of the teams. Sorry i do not have any pictures. And ya, the 1.6 was badged ELEGANCE and the 1.3 as usual EMOTION." (Ref:- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/99510-fiat-linea-1-6-mjd.html)