1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Tyre suggestions for my Grande Punto Dynamic (2012)

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PuntoMan, Oct 14, 2014.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @PuntoMan:
    Please dont go by what Reliance Autozone tells. technically incompetent.
    Pick set of 4 steel rims + wheel cap of Linea from any of FASS centres
    Pick set of 4 tyres of your like with profile 195/60/R15. (Apollo Accellere/Yoko/others).
    Fit them without any issues in proper wheel alignment/balancing centres.
    If in Bangalore, go straight to Madhus/Tyre Park/Tyre Professionals/Sai Iyengar/MilliVision which has Hunter machines.
    Check the age of the tire as a caution.
    Getting 98PCD alloys is tough. Else you have to go for multi-pcd alloys with hub rings.
    There are lot of threads in TFI on this topic. Instead of shelling on Alloys, I suggest steel rims+wheelcaps of Linea gives exact look as alloys. And 195/60/R15 profile is perfect for Punto.

Enjoy the ride and provide your feedback. No fuss.
    Racing_2012 and pdash like this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  3. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    You will get 98PCD alloys but they will be from brands like BBS and OZ which will cost quite a lot more than the regular alloy wheels in the market. But if you can afford them, then they are really great wheels. Otherwise buy the OE FIAT alloy wheels in 15". The New EVO 15" alloy wheels look super.

For the tyres I suggest you stay away from Eagle F1 GSD3's, as far as I know they look great, but are uni directional and will be very very noisy.

If you are okay with road noise then the S drive's from Yokohama are better tyres.
  4. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So finally, this was settled on Friday.

Got 15" rims from Vecto Motors on Hosur road, along with the Linea wheel caps.
    Purchased 4 - 195/60/15s from Reliance Autozone. The guy fitted the wheels and did wheel balancing.
    For alignment, I took it to Tyre Empire near HSR Layout. This guy had Hawk Eye from Hunter. Done with no hassles.

The drive back home was pleasant. The drive was smooth like butter. Road handling was better and I felt a little more confident. It felt like the car had a better hold on the road. But I had to try it on my usual route to office to feel the difference.

So, took out my car to office today (yup, I work on Sundays :() & I could feel the difference. I drive from Jigni to Whitefield (ITPL) via Chandapura -> Dommasandra -> Varthur, which has about 3 rough patches. The car handled all the potholes and irregularities without any effort. No wobbling, no hard noise from the wheel when diving into potholes. I ripped it to 100-120kmph and punto took it effortlessly. The car feels like its brand new, out of the showroom. The engine takes elevations effortlessly, no strain at all. Until last week, I could makeout that I was on an elevation due to the engine noise, which has now gone down (I wonder how). I used to feel a slight drag when switching on the AC, now my Punto does not care about all that. It really feels and behaves like a brand new vehicle. And not to mention, braking is awesome, a biig change from the bald tyres until last week.

The only problem I feel is with the headlights, they were already not very good, I feel. Now, they seem to have lost focus on the road completely. At 2 spots today morning, I felt the headlights weren't working. I am pretty sure its due to the increase in height and this will be a problem going forward, especially when it's raining. Any suggestions here. I will go thru the other threads to see if anyone else faced similar problems and what the solution was when I reach home today, but any suggestion from top of your mind would help.

This was an awesome experience and was long due for my punto to get this upgrade. Completely satisfied with it. Just wondering why they don't put 15"s from factory itself on these models.

Thanks to all of you who've helped me out here. It was a real pleasure. :)
    Ganges likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Oops lately saw this thread.Enjoy the drive with new setup.
    Drive with steel Rims on Indian roads are painful . Drive quality I feel its more pronounced in alloy wheels and that too OEM alloys are simply superb.I feel more vibrations in steel rims than alloy wheel.
    Steel rims are good to pocket and keep a hammer under your seat.