1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Tyre suggestions for my Grande Punto Dynamic (2012)

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PuntoMan, Oct 14, 2014.

1. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey,

This is my first post here!

Need some help with deciding on new tyres for my Punto Dynamic 1.4 Diesel.

The stock tyres are 185/80R 14. These have worn out (almost) after 41k Kms & there is a considerable amount of road noise and vibration. I can feel the shocks getting a hit. The left rear tyre is also loosing air faster than the others & the spare tyre is equally hopeless. The puncture shop fellow said the tyres were no good. I am guessing it is time to get them replaced.

I read thru the Tyre Upgrade guide at teamfiat & it looks like the stock rims can accommodate 185/70R 14. What are your suggestions/ experience? Can I go any wider with the stock rims?

I am not in a mood to change the stock rim unless it is absolutely necessary. Here are my priorities in that order:

0. Shouldn't put a huge hole on my pocket (15-17k is affordable). Maybe able to stretch till 20k inclusive of everything.
    1. Retain stock rims
    2. Wider Tyres
    3. Good looking (ex.: Goodyear EAGLE F1 GSD3)
    4. Less/ no impact on ground clearance (I drive around Jigni/ Varthur areas of Bangalore where the humps are just crazy)

I haven't been able to make up my mind. Couldn't finalize on 1 particular brand as such, not sure which one's better. I would love to hear your suggestions. Hope to hear back soon on this, before I go crazy!

Thanks in Advance
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please provide correct information. Both of above statements are not true.

I guess, your stock tyre size is 165/80, R14, if yes, 185/70 on same rim is perfect fit, and best upgrade. Almost same round clearance.
    Now choosing tyres depends on what you are looking for. Above link by @ghodlur has details on various tyres.
    In your budget, I suggest look for Michelin XM2+.

Please use "Report Post" for any moderation.
  4. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ooops .. sorry about that! Realized the mistakes just now.! :banghead:... But thanks to Ravi & ghodlur for the suggestions. Will go through the link as suggested.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks
  5. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Stumbled upon the below tyres:
    1. Bridgestone B290 - 185/70R 14
    2. Goodyear EAGLE F1 GSD3 - 185/65R 14
    3. Yokohama AA01 A DRIVE - 185/70R 14

What are your suggestions on these tyres? Any other brands/ options in the same range? I am kind of in a fix and need to get over this activity by Friday this week. TIA!
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @PuntoMan

Amongst the three, Yoko are my suggestions as they are relatively more silent than the other two. Just check the pricing and warranty details of all three before deciding. As @Ravi had suggested include Michelin XM2 also in the list. This is the most preferred trye for the size you mentioned.
  7. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I checked with a local dealer here who had XM2s. Manufactured in Dec 2013. He is quoting 5100 per piece + 250 for alignment. No fitting & balancing charges.
    My concern is @Ravi had mentioned 'XM2+' above. Whereas when I checked with this dealer, he wasn't sure about the '+'. Same thing by any chance? Michelin India website also recommends only XM2 and I don't see XM2+ on the site.
    Price seems ok to me, but for old tyres he's only giving me max 500, that's a little more that 100 bucks per piece for the old ones. Is this what they usually give for old ones, any suggestions here?

I am planning to check with some Yoko dealers today to get their quotes as well for the A Drive. Any other brands that I should look for, just in case?
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @PuntoMan

AFAIK there is no XM2+, there is only XM2. There was/are XM1+ which were earlier versions. The price quotes to you is generally the same across for all tyre exchanges, if you can spare time you can contact the scrap dealer who specializes in rubber. You might get a few buck extra but thats not worth the effort.

Can I suggest Apollo Acceleres also as one of the options. Agreed the tyres are noisy but they are sturdy
    Ravi likes this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ghodlur is correct, my mistake above, it is XM2, not +.
  10. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here's an update from the adventure that I had today:

So, I was going thru all the different threads here and at TBHP, reading about tyre upgrades. Eventually, I made up my mind to go for alloys as well along with this upgrade. It will be a big hit on my pocket, but am ready to take the chance. 15" is the obvious choice but 14" will also work.

And so I ended up visiting a few dealers to check on alloys & tyre options. The Michelin dealer did not have alloys for Punto and he promised to confirm availability by tomorrow. But he also said it was very difficult to get 98pcd alloys, but will try nevertheless.

After some roaming around, I ended up at Reliance Autozone, and then came the shocker.
    The guy at AutoZone said not to go for alloys for Punto and that I should get intouch with FASS to get the OEM alloys instead. He mentioned something about removal of some caliber which was required to install alloys on Puntos. It seems that this was a risk and he gave no guarantee that there wouldn't be any problems due to this change. He says, if I drive above 100kmph after alloy upgrade, there would be wobbling as the caliber is removed.

Do I really need OEM alloys for certain? How much would they cost? And I am sure there will be a waiting period to get the alloys, isn't it?

Can someone suggest a reliable guy for the alloys, in Bangalore. Someone who has done this before, if this is really a rare and risky option. Incidentally, the guy at autozone had done alloy change on 3 Puntos and 1 came back with the problem, while they warned all 3 about the problem. Don't understand what exactly he's talking about. However, I have reserved the whole day tomorrow to get this job completed. Any suggestion will be welcome.