1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

new to DSLR which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by acechip, May 22, 2013.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

First, fix the budget. If you are not sure how much you want to spent, you will be always looking at the next model and the next model. You can pick any model from Canon or Nikon - you will not go wrong. Before you decide which one, try getting your hands on both models and decide how comfortable you are with the models.
    I chose Nikon over cannon because I felt more comfortable using Nikon.

When it comes to choosing your first DSLR, there are two school of thoughts - one is to buy a basic DSLR, learn the ropes of photography and identify the areas of interest and slowly build the gear and upgrade to a better body once you are sure of the way you want to take. The other is to start off with a medium range DSLR and then add more lenses as you go by. The second approach will need more initial investment than the first one, but the first approach will give you enough time to study and decide on that next big step - a better body.

My personal advice will be to go with first approach. I brought a D40 4 year back and I still have not fully exhausted it. So, if you are not into out and out photography, a basic DSLR may be all what you need.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    If you have no clue about DSLR and if you want an entry level then your best bet for Nikon should be 3200, if you know what your getting into then 5200 it is (3200 and 5200 are almost the same but 5200 is a second level DSLR with lot of additional features)
    For Canon, yes basic option would be 1100 IS II kit and mid range i would say 650D

Deciding which brand to choose from both of these brands is tricky, i would suggest you go to a store which have them on display and have a go at it before you decide... good luck
  3. acechip

acechip Superiore

By the first approach, I guess even the Canon EOS1100D would be a good buy, to get me initiated into DSLR photography. The bigger attraction there is the 18-105mm lens I guess. I see comments that nikon D3200 is better than D5100, but I guess the only difference is the 24mp vs 16mp and lack of swivel screen as well.

I also read some reviews that the Canon Screens are easier to navigate than Nikons. Any thoughts ?
    I also saw a comment on Sony SLTs. Am really not sure if SLT is equivalent to SLR in terms of photography. Please provide your thoughts on this.
    There is the Sony Alpha58 for avlble for 31K.
  4. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    Dont just go by megapixels, D3200 have the latest generation sensor which is being used in D5200 and D7100(no OLPF though on 7100). Also it has latest Expeed 3 processing same as D5200 and D7100. In simple words it will handle the images better than 5100 and Low light performance will be a level higher.
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

personally, I think either D 3200 or D 5100 are ok - if you need more pixel, go for 3200, if you like the swivel screen and would like to shoot more movies, go with D 5100.
    What can make a real difference is a good lens.

Interestingly, the DXOmark results tell another story - while D 3200 is slightly ahead of D 5100 in overall score, D 5100 have a slight advantage over D 3200 in low light conditions. Frankly, I do not think these minute differences are a deal breaker - both D 3200 and D5100 are very capable and equally good choice.

@acechip - not sure about the reviews, but I felt nikon was more user friendly (considering both hardware and software)- but this again is not much of a deal breaker - should be able to get used to it with couple of days use.

for me, I could connect well with Nikon than with a canon. That is why I reiterate that you should try both of them side by side before you decide.
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

1. My best bet would be D3200 + 18-105 lens. It'll be around 41300 with 2 yrs warranty.

2. Nikon D5200 + 18-55. Comes around 39K ( little future proof as D5200 as very good performance at low light)

or If you have little higher budget

3. Nikon D5200 + 18-105 . Around 52K

Lens is a crucial part here. D3200 is decent to start and Lens are one time investment.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    I recently purchased Canon 600D . It's 31.5k(canon bag, 16GB class 10 card, and cleaning kit included.) Reviews and pics in a month's time.
    Two years' warranty from canon India
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Congratulations. Good choice. And special applause for the honesty in wanting a month to understand the camera, get good shot and posting reviews. That really makes you stand out in a crowd hell bent on making a judgement and prnouncing a verdict about everything and sundry just by looking at it once :D

1 person likes this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Ramjn, could you please let me know what lens you have
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    - 35 mm prime. f/1.8
    - Tokina 11-16. f/2.0
    - Nikon 24-85 VR. f/3.5 - f/4.5
    - Nikon 70-300 VR 2. f/4.5 - f/5.6

24-85 and 70-300 are FX lenses.