1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

new to DSLR which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by acechip, May 22, 2013.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

Hi,

I am sure most of you must be big time photograph enthusiasts (whats up with automobiles and photography ? always seem to go together) and also DSLR owners in some cases. Well, i'v been toying with the idea for quite some time now, and wanted to buy a good entry level DSLR. (My folks arent too impressed though, thinking its just another gadget amongst the garland of gadgets at home).

So anyway, did some searching and essentially narrowed down to the Honda vs Toyota thing ie, Nikon vs Canon. Theres Nikon D5100 (now available for 31K) and Canon 600D (33K).
    But some other cheaper options like nikon D3100 (27K) or value Adds like Canon 1100D with 18-105mm lens (37K).

What would be a good camera to begin with ? And matters of heart aside, which brand has better ASS ?
  2. There is very little diffrence between 600D and 550D, you may get 550D at cheaper price.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    If you are the sort how keeps his gadgets clean and neat then hands down go for canon 7D. Its one of the best mid range SLRs out there.
    550D is entry level and soon you will find yourself cribbing about factors like sensor size , burst mode, crop factor.
    You will understand this only when you do a back to back comparison of the 2. Its got some really good stuff for the price

Canon EOS-7D Review | Digital Camera Resource Page
    (Dont go with the pricing its cheaper now)

The low light capabilities of the 7D is just super and couple it with a good lens and you are in for a great surprise.

Having said that the 7D is relatively expensive but i'd still say its a good bet and you can keep it for a long long time. 550D is going to get old very very soon, if not it already is.
  4. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nikon D3200 will be better option compared to D5100 at a slightly higher price.
  5. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    Deciding a budget is very imp in Camera investment because there is practically no end to it. Also there is " what you get, what you pay for" factor in this area. Investing on good lens than the camera is another important step here. So decide on the type of photograph you want to click and invest on lens accordingly. Both canon and Nikon are good with top notch lens availability. It comes down to ergonomics and being comfortable with.

For a casual shooter who shoots almost everything that catches his eye without being too critical about the finer performance, 18-105mm is a very good range if you decide on just one lens. If you can toss a prime lens 35mm 1.8 along with it for portrait and for low light, you are basically covered.

For nikon, i would take D3200 over D5100 anyday because latest generation sensor and processor. Handles the noise better in low light. If you can stretch then get D5200, its a total VFM.

For canon, either 550D or 700D(latest) because 600D just has some goodies over 550D with 18-135mm lens. 7D is expensive camera.

Avoid 18-55mm lens, i find it useless in terms of range and soon limitations will be inevitable.
  6. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Go with Canon 550D or 600D
  7. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Ideally first you should figure it out whether you are gonna sustain photography hobby for a long time to come or it is just one of those passing fads driven by one of those internet photo sharing websites ;)

Any of the entry level models from either of the brands quoted by you above is fine. Both are reputed and time proven brands. And if then your photographic instincts sustain and further develop with these entry lvl cameras then you surely know its time to upgrade yourself to higher lvl of equipment.

Talking about service - Figure out the closest service center from your place and that should be fine.(so you dont have to face the hassle of going up and down when required.)

Service is just an outsourced process..a lot like lottery..all depends on who is operating where!!! It basically varies from place to place and not brand specific! (vis a vis management/skilled personal managing the specific service center etc etc.)
    * these equipments if maintained properly should last beyond the warranty period without any problems.

Suggest you go around this site to further comparison and understanding of the cameras if required..

Digital Photography Review

My 2 cents : Go for an entry lvl. DSLR, figure out the controls and photography techniques (lots to be mastered with an entry lvl camera itself!!) and then trade in your camera for a mid/high end one at a latter stage if your passion persists!
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I had got a 550 D with 18-55 lens a year back, The factors I felt in favour were
    1. VFM when compared to 600D ( The latter just has swivel display and few other bits. all mechanicals almost same )
    2. Video Mode Full HD at 30 Fps and 720p at 60fps.
    3. Already rooted the Canon Firmware.. and installed Magic Lantern. can do some cool stuff with this.

18-105 is definately needed if you want zoom. 18-55 will be okay for wideangle shots, portrait, kids.
  9. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    I agree. A starter model is just that. Basic stuff that you will outgrow fairly quickly. Get something you will want to keep for a long time and don't come down with gear acquisition syndrome.
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    So which brand is FIAT here :p Sony ? Why not consider the Sony range SLTs too .