1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

new to cars and confused over maintenance

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Satish Devan, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satish Devan

Satish Devan Timido

Bangalore
    I had bought a used punto about a week ago. After my initial adventure of driving with hand brake and sorting it out, everything is fine now. I am new to cars and getting confused over engine oil. As i understand i need to use Selenia diesel engine oil. I understand its fully synthentic oil(please clarify this as i keep reading that its semi synthentic). Last service was done at 38k with all filters and oil change. odo is now at 43k. I don't think oil has been topped up. One of my friend checked the oil and since it was black he said to change the engine oil immediately. but manual says it has to be done at 15k. Is it suppose to be black? Also how often should i do the top up and how much? Please advise.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are new to cars,please spend some time say one or two hours on the engine compartment threads in TFI and trust me each and every thread are discussed in detail ,within one year you will be a car expert.

Let me tell you one thing,when you purchase oil it comes in reddish kind off color.Now your visual inspection says it has turned black means it is doing its job and its normal.Enjoy the Ride,if you have changed the oil during the 38K Kms then not required to change so early.was the change of oil grade 5W 40 or 10W 40/15w 40 ?
    1 person likes this.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Selenia for diesel engines is Selenia WR 5w40. It is semi synthetic.

Yes, it would be black even after 10kms of driving. Especially in turbocharged diesels. Color is not an indicator of its health, viscosity is.

Pay some attention to the coolant levels too. It is pink colored fluid present on your left when you are looking at the engine.
    1 person likes this.
  4. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can change oil at 50k mark. Most of us here are following 15k Interval . Engine oil color changes soon after you start driving. So no worries.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    good to know that everything is fine now!! please spend some time to read the owners manual!!
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Please search the forum before creating a new thread. All your queries are already answered in various threads here.

I have no option but to close this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.