1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Swift's Brakes just don't work !

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by saipv, Jul 23, 2012.

1. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Agreed Paaji. In my initial days of ownership of the Alto, I had huge difficulties in climbing a particular uphill in B2B traffic. It was extremely difficult for me cause by the time I remove my foot from the brakes and accelerate, the car would roll back or stall when I released the clutch too fast. So one of my friend taught me the half clutch method and I somehow mastered it during my daily travel. Ofcourse that resulted in early replacement of the clutch plates, probably after 8k or 10k kms. (Don't remember exactly) Even till date I see many cars stall on the very same up-hill every other day.

Then I bought this amazing Punto. I can now drive with the hand brake method as you suggested, but the arm rest makes it more inconvenient. However, I donot use the half clutch now a days, as much as I used to. Thanks to the tremendous torque of the MJD. But yes, occassionally I have to, depends totally on the circumstance.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Another thing you can try in such scenario is to press both brake and clutch fully to stop, and when you want to move forward, slowly release only the clutch untill you feel a slight vibration or a forward push, and then slowly release the brake. In first gear, the car moves forward without acceleration, even in uphill.

Disclaimer:This is based on my experience with Punto 1.4 petrol. Don't blame me if the same doesnt work with MJD, and you end up banging the vehicle behind you!
  3. saipv

saipv Amatore

The same works with MJD also :)
  4. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    @ Fiat Lover: It does work with MJD too. But sometimes inorder to rev up, you might have to pump-in the clutch aswell to avoid lugging and resulting in stalling the engine.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Kiran,
    You can achieve speed of 40 Km/hr with only clutch and not using the accelerator ;)

It works on MJD ,it doesnt matters how much load is on the car as well ;)

Try this if it works :-
    Drive till 60Km/hr and remove the leg from both accelerator and clutch pedal and let it go,you will find the car will go on it own with the defined speed at each gear(5th),now if you find steep inlclination at this (5th)gear normally we shift to 2 gear,however you may find the car still keeps on pulling ;) i dont know whether its engine lugging or whatever but i never heard knocking sound.
  6. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Roy sir, I was one of the owner who faced this issue and multiple times , applied all mathods suggested but no luck. Fiat provided ECU replacement for some cars initially, mine was one of them , I think first one in NCR.

Later Fiat upgraded ECU software version. It was done with AC kit replacement for lot many people. Since then , never faced this.

I think, Maruti is not accepting this issue because lots of cars are in market now and they don't have guts to accept it now, they may treat it silently. On the other side of this coin, who cares about such minor issue , they are getting MAJOR benifit of "kitna Deti hai".

BTW, Mine gives 20+ with 100% AC but not sure how is it possible with out S symbol on my Punto .. he he he he.
  7. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    @Ganges: I was referring to, when you need to stop on an inclination and have to climb uphill in B2B traffic say at 10-20 kmph, just releasing the clutch wouldn't do. On a flat road with B2B traffic, I use 2nd gear more than 1st and the car moves ahead comfortably without the need to press the accelerator.
    I have tried several times to run my car without any acceleration in 5th gear. Its true that it runs at a constant speed of 50kmph (Something like cruise control ;) ), I have climbed flyovers in Hyderabad several times without having to press the accelerator by just slotting into 5th gear and at 40-50 kmph.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Nitin, Good to know that you did not face the issue after ECU replacement. I wasn't aware that this issue was resolved by software change.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Kiran,
    for atleast 75 Hp the speedo needle come and stop @28 Kmph(not exactly) for 5 th gear and the car keeps on moving at this speed only without any pedal for accelerator.
    for 3rd gear @22 Kmph
    for 2nd gear @ 20 Kmph

i have tested this long back as mentioned by our tfi member ENKI ...
  10. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    This thread has been hijacked from its original discussion
    1 person likes this.