1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Swift's Brakes just don't work !

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by saipv, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Good Point teky - LOL - I am not the one who have mastered simulating the ABS with manual pump braking. As you rightly said, for ABS to kick-in it depends on a lot of factors - speed, wheel lock etc., Also, wheel lock occurs only if you brake, if you never apply brake, wheel lock is not in question at all and ABS will never kick in. Let me know if anyone have experienced ABS kicking in automatically even if brake is not applied. :confused:

Now, dealing with the situation where you apply pump braking. What you are doing is brake - release - and brake again several times. Think of what inputs you are giving to car - multiple brakes - which is not the right input for ABS to kick in if required. This is the reason why it is advised to apply brake in single stroke in an ABS equipped vehicle. However, it does not mean that braking will never occur when you apply pump braking. This is what i intended to convey with my earlier post. This is pure mechanics and common sense. ;)
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    What I understand whenever the wheel is locked ABS releases the brake and applies it again, so that wheel always rotates and prevents skidding. The braking distance is more than non ABS vehicle or not depends on what surface it is happening. On slippery road ABS may keep the braking distance shorter + allow driver to steer, but on dry road w/o ABS with skidding rubber may stop the car better (shorter distance) and when there is no need to steer the vehicle.

Now I should tell you another experience with my Swift. I saved a girl on a cycle who came suddenly in front of me on mysore ring road :shocked , car stopped inches away , it was after a shower and the road was full of dust and sand due to construction work :eek:, I applied full brake and was not sure my Swift will stop or not. But it did stop and ABS worked fully. I give full marks this time to ABS as I am sure without ABS I would have surely skidded and hit that girl. Hence in slippery surface ABS is always better.

Now most of the time I drive my Linea and it always surprises me by stopping way before I like it to stop. :clapping :dance
  3. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    But if you pump, the sensors will not tell the ABS to kick in

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

In any car with Vaccuum assisted power booster is in place brakes will hardern after multiple pumps in low speeds / idle. Try pressing your clutch after it hardens; brakes will soften again.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Excellent article black - which could explain ABS for any novice..
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Dont know whether it is a good practice but I pump the brake and the ABS also works whenever required. I have faced no problem doing either way, pump or no pump in Linea. But in Swift I do little pump always after few incidents, by pumping I get better feedback and I feel it stops better.

I feel ABS senses only the wheel lock may be EBD system senses other parameters to distribute braking force on each wheel as required.
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Make hay while sun shines...First it was Hyundai (capitalising on the strike in manesar plant), now comes TATA, not on the factory issues, but on the product quality!
    Got this in a email from Adit, boss of KHT, today.

tata1.jpg

tata2.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  6. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    Good Article.. Now i understood. Why sound is coming while applying breaks(even i felt small vibration, not everytime). I think my ABS is working. i thought its some fault..
  7. saipv

saipv Amatore

8. Even if this customer goes to court he will not be able to prove this as defect,may it is not so suitable for B2B traffic but most of the modren cars have this feature or issue.
  9. I hardly use either the brakes or accelerator in B2B traffic. That was the way I was taught in my driving school. Even if it is in a flyover(uphill), I use the clutch to move or stop the car. Only in the down hill, I use the brakes. I don't know why anyone should accelerate fast & use the brakes & complain it is failing in B2B traffic, when there is really no necessary for that.
  10. macky

macky Amatore

so, whats the conclusion!! Are the swift brakes bad!! or are they working as intended!!

and as ScintillaSpire said, thats how we are supposed to drive is it not??