1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Swift's Brakes just don't work !

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by saipv, Jul 23, 2012.

1. dharmesh

dharmesh

mumbai
    They write what Indians want to read. nothing else. and everything is just biased.:chair:
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Yes Gurjinder. Even I am surprised. I was able to hear the tire skidding.You can imagine how much a car could accelerate from a stand still in say 3-4 secs. I wasn't even pressing the accelerator hard. Only condition was it was raining heavily & the road could have been slippery.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Gurjinder - I've felt ABS kick-in at speeds less than 20 whilst I was on gravel, never had ABS kick-in during wet conditions though.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Once I literally stood on top of the brake in Swift (old) to stop it , I could feel ABS worked but I could not stop my car. Numerous people have complained about Swift braking. I feel for ABS to work properly atleast the Brake need to stop the wheel moving, ABS is to prevent the skidding but if the brake itself is poor adding ABS may not help much.
  5. Even if you dont pump the brakes,you will hardly notice any difference.Maruti always looks for cost cutting methods...and guess what in swift they provide 10 inch disc,when many issues came they accepted that and changed that to 11 inches in some cars,and the problem got solved to some extent..But it was not a mass change so only few benefited.The structure of the car is odd,it has max weight in the front due to the engine,and rest its all tin,so no confidence in braking...

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

My wife jokes whether our car is really having ABS,or we got duped by Maruti and they just put ABS sticker(worth 25 k more than the vdi model):sad1
    On highways the ABS does kick in from time to time as I can see the christmas lights coming up,but it really is a joke..just a feature worth mentioning on the paper(in my swift)..nothing else...:uh

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

I totally agree with you,its as if the auto magazines,etc are run by the car companies.Who ever pays them more,get a good review.:thumbs down
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    It's the brake booster and not discs which was changed silently for complaining customers!
  7. Sorry..yes you are right..
    This is the behaviour from MUL which I least expected,after coming to know that some customers were getting some solution from MUL,I enquired in some MASS,and they did not have any clue as to what I was saying(dumbos):hit
  8. puntojith

puntojith

Hyderabad
    ABS for steering control...

ABS is of great significance not because it stops a vehicle faster but helps maintain steering control during hard braking. Wheel locking is not a problem in straight stoppage depending on the friction level between your rubber and the road. In fact I have read that ABS actually increases the stopping distance as the braking is applied in pulses thereby letting the car move farther. But what ABS does is help you maintain steering control by not locking the wheels and helping you avoid an obstacle safely. Therefore, I think its not correct to 'blame' the ABS for not stopping our cars faster.

-puntojith
  9. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Yes, that was my point also, brake design, be it the booster, disc size, pads, ventilation etc should be good to stop a vehicle, ABS adds more safety.
  10. its hard to understand that when ABS kicks in the effective braking distance is more.what i apparently understand is that as ABS avoids the wheels from getting locked,the wheels will roll more and hence the friction will be more,which will reduce the braking distance.In vehicles having ABS the pulses are sent to the brakes which rapidly pressurises and depressurises,so as a result the brakes dont lock.and furthermore i have used swift with and w/o abs,so there is difference in braking.but the difference is not too much upto our indian standards liking.