1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Swift's Brakes just don't work !

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by saipv, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Ganges - both will work. Only point is, if you pump, ABS will not be activated even if required.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    OT:
    Is it so true? I thought you can never simulate an ABS as it works in milli-seconds interval although few humans claim they have mastered it ;)

My understanding is that for ABS to kick-in it measures speed, wheel lock and other factors before applying exact braking on each device. Why would pumping make it any different.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    It is very important to have the idling revolutions at all times as all the basics of the engine accessory systems such as the hydraulics of the brakes depend on the power generated at idling revs. Since these new gen engines have anti stall, the drivers tend to push it to the maximum in B2B traffic. In such conditions, it is ideal to get the motion using clutch, declutch fully and brake. I feel all these new symptoms are synonymous to the efforts at pushing the narrow envelopes in development of components and cost reductions and fuel efficiency in terms of weight of component/ compactness and lesser drawing of energy from the engine.
    Educating the driver is the solution for this I guess as many of our 1.2 Punto friends had such issues and have overcome them. This could be the reason that the complaints are not uniform but just a few who also blow the lid of the issue.

Abdul
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys,

ABS is not dependent on any number of "pumps" that we do with out foot.

When the sensor tells the ABS to kick in, it will.

Cheers.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi gurjinder
    whats are the references(when and how) to the sensors ?
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I agree with Gurjinder, there is no way you can manually activate ABS . Pumping brakes is infact discouraged in cars with ABS as that's what ABS is designed to do in the first place..
    If you start pumping then god has to save us.
    Q&A REGARDING ABS BRAKES
    That's some Gov website so it has to be authentic info ...Please take a look at it.

I've not tested it yet.. But if there are any Active model owners here can you please check this for me.
    Start you're engines (no need to drive) and begin pumping the brakes. If the brakes begin to harden then I believe there is nothing worng as at least in FIAT the design is like that..
    If the brakes don't harden at all , then there is this difference between ABS and non ABS vehicles.

(I've checked many puntos with ABS and all have brake hardening when contineously pumped). Happens in my car as well
    3 people like this.
  7. saipv

saipv Amatore

1 person likes this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I DID NOT LIKE THIS STATEMENT

Fuel efficient, My punto in city gives 15-16 I'm sure swift cannot give anything more than 16, in blr traffic . these media IDIOTS are just too much to handle sometimes..
    I wonder when there will be any sense in reporting , if at all any
    2 people like this.
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Does the ABS need a minimum speed to get activated ? Why I had put forth this question is I had dashed behind a palio recently. It was raining heavily & I was in a b2b traffic waiting at a round about. When I started to move my car in 1st gear after checking for any oncoming traffic from the roundabout (my right hand side), all of a sudden I saw the car in front of me stopped & when I applied the brakes, it skidded & hit the palio in front of me. The speed could hardly be 10 Kph. Palio got onle 1 or 2 scratches which is not visible, but I got a decent dent on my bonnet. So does ABS activate during such times ?
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The answers to both these queries lie with the dude who programmed the ABS control unit! Only he knows under what EXACT circumstances the ABS should kick in. :)

Although 10kph is very low speed to even make use of ABS. Cinju i'm surprised how the car even skidded at 10kmph. At 10kmph if i stomp the brake pedal the car stops dead there and then.
    1 person likes this.