1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Swift's Brakes just don't work !

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by saipv, Jul 23, 2012.

1. saipv

saipv Amatore

Be prepared if a new Swift is following you in the bumper-to-bumper city traffic :) ....

Forbes India Magazine - The New Maruti Swift's Brakes Don’t Work

Maruti Customer Service is not good either here, even after threats of a consumer court case, five visits to authorized Maruti service stations in just six months, and long discussions with the Maruti Regional Service manager ....
    5 people like this.
  2. PranavOne

PranavOne Amatore

Chennai
    Oh, I escaped by last minute, cancelled 5 months waited swift 2011 and had 2012 MJD. But I think now they solved..
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I guess this is the same driving habit issue observed and on 1.2 Punto and discussed extensively here in TFI.
    People need to learn to depress the clutch fully and maintain engine rpm above the idle limits.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    There is an interesting point mentioned here..
    This is very very important...
    I think maruthi is also using the same vaccumm and hyraudlic systems that FIAT is using and with such cars it is adviced to NEVER pump the brakes .
    I think these guys don't understand the technology but just have money to buy and use cars...

THis is my first impression.
    I've seen this happen in many cars even FIAT. the rule is to never pump the brakes, which is what is being done here.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I didn't really understand what the problem with the brakes is. Seems like the driver is pressing brakes at the same time as riding it in first gear half clutch.:confused:

But negative publicity for Maruti is pretty rare.

Seems like a bad period for Maruti. Lockdown at factory , unfortunate death of an employee and bad press.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    IN bumper to bumper traffic,i always press the clutch fully and apply the brakes ,now if the traffic is moving slowlly one can release the clutch slowlly, which gives slow movement due to the torque in our cars{(though one can achieve the speed of 40Kmph without accelertor as well by using the clutch pedal only :D ,try this at open strecth)}.

theblack
    i have read in manual somewhere:-
    pumping the brakes is to activate the ABS right ?

Correct me here if i'm wrong:-
    and when driving in the traffic better stay away with ABS(deactivated mode) ... i.e. avoid pumping the brakes .
  7. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    In an ABS equipped car, one should not pump the brakes. This is because ABS does the exact thing - pump and apply the brakes for more efficiency. When you pump the brakes when ABS is present, ABS will not work. Pumping is recommended for non-ABS cars for more effective braking. Guru's correct me if I am wrong.

P.S. Swift's brakes never inspire confidence or it stops the car efficiently. I recently drove a test drive vehicle and to demonstrate the braking ability - applied sudden brakes while driving at 40 KMS. The car was dragged to a stop. The car was equipped with ABS and the comment the sales guy passed is - Sir - the car has run around 5000+ KMS. :eek:
    1 person likes this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Ganges, that was my answer as well..
    You are correct Srini, But AFAIK swift brakes never inspired confidence in its owners.. I've heard this problem even with older swifts.

Secondly the mechanism of braking is also something to consider . In cars like Punto/linea the way it works is different its not a simple cable operated brake . So when you contentiously pump the brakes the oil gets jammed in the piston pushing the brakes due to vacuum and it needs time to get released (A few secs) . Thus it does not work properly in that duration.
    Now i suspect that even maruthi might have changed their braking system in the new version and hence this problem.

I know about this because when i got my brake pads changed i pumped the brakes to get a shock of my life.. Then when i took it to TASS and my trusted mechanic both told me to not pump brakes.
    After this i went to kanyakumari and on the highways , when i had to brake hard i just pressed the brake once and held on to it and the car behaved as expected... That's when i realized what those guys were telling me was right.
    There was nothing wrong in braking at all..
    1 person likes this.
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I don't think it's a problem with MJD - There is enough vaccum in the booster although people with 1.2 Fire have complained about the same. This I believe boils down to the size of booster probably which is seemed to be smaller in the Swift lower versions?
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    theblack,Srini,
    i will try this with pumping and without pumping of the brakes,thanks for the info.