1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Swift launching on August 17th, 2011

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Maruti users are gung-ho about plastic tanks because they see this as a massive innovation from Maruti, which was not thought about by any other manufacturer. For all I know, it might be a great innovation too (I am not too familiar with pros and cons of a plastic fuel tank vis-a-vis metallic one).

On other hands, people might also be happy that this unique feature provides them with an opportunity to carry fuel filled plastic containers in their cars. Supposed logic: If it can be fitted in the car, it surely can be carried inside the car; so we need not visit petrol bunks too often while travelling.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    According to a ''senior'' member of BCMtouring , the new Swift ZDI weighs 1080kg.

The older VDI weighs 1075 kg. And the new VDI weighs 1060kg.

So, that's 15kg of weight reduction just by the fuel tank? What a load of bull crap.

MASA :)D) have definitely reduced the weight from the body panels or monocoque , and all this talk of plastic tank etc is just an eyewash, a smokescreen. So that no one gets to know that the weight reduction happened mostly from the body panels or the monocoque.

Remember, the new Swift is a bit longer and so should be a bit heavier too. But here , the engineers at MASA have managed to reduce the weight. Just by the use of a plastic fuel tank? Think hard.

Gurjinder.

P.S. The weights of the new Swift are from bcmtouring. No idea if they are correct or not.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Other than new space age material called "plastic fuel tank" the swift fans did not find major upgrade.
    Yet it is new swift because it has plastic fuel tank.!!
    if not spoken wildly about the "plastic fuel tank" whose going to know.

Gurus, of masa please enlighten me how the "plastic fuel tank" decreases emissions? i can understand light weight can, but below statement from a swift fan has elated me to dream a new world.
    no offence meant to the original guy , but if it is true then it is worth, if not then he should be awarded a "plastic fuel tank".
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Agreed that this is a Fiat forum but do we really need to bash all other cars? It happened with Liva and now with Swift.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    All FIAT cars comes with Metal fuel tanks.

In 2 wheeler section, TVS Sccoty,Scooty Pep,Pep +, Kinetic NOVA, Kinetic / Mahindra Flyte, Rodeo
    & DURO comes with Plastic fuel tanks.

Don't know about TVS WEGO,Honda Access & Suzuki Access.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune
    You forgot the Hyundai.

+1 to Amit .
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Honda Access ???? what is that?

honda activa has metal tank .
    Which sounds excellent when empty (petrol)
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes it is indeed needed. we fiatian are bit different .
    Most of us are heart oriented that is why we own fiat .

a woman would like to have her husband or son to own a swift because neighborhood said it is better than the best and they are going to buy one soon.
    a fiatian would like to own a fiat because he had tried and tested all others but again zeroed to fiat.

At least I learnt how much i am on positive side owning a fiat.

It is a fight between "average in all field vs excellent at most of the fields." or "average in all field vs bad at few fields." or "mind vs heart".

let it happen.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys, we have an imported Australian sedan, 1993 Ford Fairmont EB 4.0 . It has a plastic tank which is tough as nails. The whole car is built like a tank and weighs 1600kg. (will post a pic tomorrow from pc)

But the point is this- Maruti have reduced weight from the Swift not just by using plastic tank, but by using lighter metal. I'd love to debate on this point.
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Even though we are making fun of this plastic tank, the patent is from one of the the world’s largest manufacturer of plastic fuel tanks -France’s Plastic Omnium. Still reliability on Indian conditions is still a question mark. But as Gurjinder said, they cannot simply reduce the weight by just changing to plastic fuel tank. Despite an increase in overall size the weight has been reduced. I am sure they are not using any carbon fiber to reduce weight. Everywhere they are mentioning only about the plastic tank which has reduced the overall weight. See the comment on a site.

"Apart from this, engineers have even achieved a slight decrease in the total car weight by adding a plastic fuel tank in place of the earlier metal one. This will help to increase fuel efficiency by 13%."

Fellows think - Do you find a logic on this ??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.