1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Speaker upgradation with Hertz & Polk combination

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Cinju, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    With reference to the suggestions given by our fellow Tfian Pran on http://teamfiat.co.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=623&hilit=parijath&start=10, I visited Parijath at Trivandrum for upgrading my Punto speakers. My plan was Hertz Comp at front and Hertz Co-ax at the rear. I opted for Hertz EV 165 (Energy Series Comp) for the front and when I was searching for a Hertz Coax for the rear, the marketing guy told me to go for polk coax at the rear and he assured me that it gives better output than Hertz. So based on his opinion I opted for Polk DB651 Coax 6 1/2 " . When the installation was about to start, the owner came to me and suggested me to have noice dampening as well as I am using Hertz energy series speakers and I will get better quality if I do so.I was much surprised to hear that they do noice dampening as I was not expecting it anywhere in trivandrum. Anyway I agreed to go for noice dampening in the front 2 doors. After the whole installation is over, I was shocked to hear that the OEM head unit is capable of delivering good music. It was spoilt by the low quality speakers. Now I started enjoying my fav songs. In my personal opinion, there is no need for putting an amp if you are not going for a sub. Now with vol at around 15, I can feel the sub kind of punch outside the car. The music is crisp and clear.

Expense Breakdown
    Hertz EV 165 - 8100 (With warranty)
    Polk DB651 - 3800 (With Warranty)
    Spacers (4 nos) - 600
    RoadKill Noise Dampening material - 2000 per door

Total:- Rs:- 16,500 /-
    Gave 16,000 bill and 250 to the technician (A very nice guy with some good technical ideas.)

For those planning to upgrade I would suggest to go for Hertz DSK 165 or EV 165 Component in the front and POLK DB651 for the rear. If you dont want to push your budget more, you can even opt for Polk DB651 for both front and rear. I am sure it will be worth the penny you spend.

29012011241.jpg

29012011242.jpg

29012011243.jpg

29012011244.jpg
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Why isn't full door damped. Don't you think you were overcharged for damping doors?
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Vijay...even I had this same question in my mind. But what I understood was they were covering up all holes ( Which I think logically would do dampening). They had used one whole sheet for a single door and it is not possible to cover up the entire area with one single sheet. But the material used was genuine US made and it seems to be costly as well .Regarding the price, sorry I am not very sure.Maybe I was overcharged.
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Cinju, congrats for you upgrades, I am sure you are having a gala of time.
    As far as installation are concern, i have few things to say, Hertz EV 165 is a woofer and not and not a component speaker, it gives 70W and peak out at 140w and headunit is just giving 40w max so you are not even using 1/3 of woofers capability, an ampli will give some good SQ as well as SPL. And for door dampening, i would say its the the costliest patch work i have seen. For 2K you can get a door easy damped using dynamat extereme. This one looks like patch work,covering the openings.

Could you post the installation pics of HERTZ EV 165 with crossover and tweeters? I dont see that in image 2. (if it is suppose to be a component speaker)
    Hertiz EV 165 - http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/schedaPr ... &numprod=4
    Finally paying 8100Rs for 70W (peak 140w) woofer doesnt make sense when much better woofers are available at that price punching 500 to 1000w outputs.
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Hi Viny...I think they had given it wrongly in the Hertz website. You can see which category this EV 165 belongs to..it comes under Comp and the exact match to my configuration is given in http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/pdf_esk165.pdf. It has got EV 165 woofer, ET 20 tweeter & CX 200 crossover. I am sorry that I have not taken pictures of crossover & tweeters. I hope now it makes sense to pay 8100 for comp and not for woofer alone. I 100% agree that an ampli would give a much better result and I can use this same set of comp speakers if I am using ampli. But even with this setup the output what you get is too good ( I am comparing with the stock speakers and not with an ampli setup). Then regarding the door dampening, dynamat & roadkill are 2 popular brands (dynamat being superior). But here in trivandrum, this is the 1st place where I have heard that they do door dampening (Very limited resources..). Until and unless there is a competition and more users are into it, the price may be high when compared to other places like b'lore, mumbai etc. Even the expertise may not be that good. Anyway thanx Viny :)