1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New SKODA Fab 1.2 MPI OR Punto 1.4 E?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by basis, Mar 13, 2011.

1. basis

basis Amatore

Dear Experts,

After gone through many discussion with you I almost made my mind for Fiat Punto 1.4 E. Today we were passing through Silkboard-hosur road.( Bangalore). Saw a Skoda showroom. I swas thought about Fab and entered the showroom.

I got a warm welcome from their sales and got introduced to the New Fab!

I entered the car and .. speechless.............

I and my family completely love the exterior,interior, build quality. price for the car.

But found the following issue.

1> Ground Clearance (158 mm) lowest in hatchback segment. (One of the most important dislike for me)(Q. How it will act on huge bumpers with full capacity load ?)
    2> ABS+EBD not there in this model. (Q. I will never drive more then 100 KM + speed)........should I ignore this?
    3> rear defogger not there. (Q. what is the impact ?)
    4> 1.2 L 3 cylinder engine. 75 PS output.....(Q.How it will act for long drive with full capacity ?)
    5> What is the maintain cost in compare to Punto? What about A.S.S?
    7> No Music system ...I can add it letter :)
    6> How about the AC?

Should I go for this (5. 85 L on road in Bangalore : can save70K approx.)

Or should I stick to Fiat Punto 1.4 E (6.5L)

2. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    MY replies in bold.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Basis,
    if there is on reason to avoid Skoda, its the cost of spare parts. TFI member Bones had a Skoda Octavia for 4 years. The driver side ORVM's electric motor needed replacement. The cost of motor was Rs25000/- alone. Whole ORVM costs Rs30000/- ::OO

Otherwise, in Punto, the whole ORVM can be changed for Rs1200/- (Twelve hundred only).
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    1.) Ground clearence shouldn't be an issue. Don't just look at figures the way the suspension is set up and the length of the car plays a part too. There are no reports of ground clearence issues in Fabia so I say don't worry about this part. Just to be sure, take a fully loaded Fabia over a speed breaker and check it.

2.) ABS / EBD shold NOT be compromised for any reason!!

3.) Very important to have a defogger.

4.) If you are concerned about driveablity, take a spin with a full load. Don't just check city driving, take it on the highway and check for overtaking capablitiy too.

5.) Skoda is 'famous' for high servicing and spares cost. Beware!!

6.) Music system is your call.

7.) Punto A/C has been ugraded and now there is no cause for worry.

You may save about 70 - 80K if you buy the Fabia over the Punto but that saving will disappear in no time when you need some spares for the Fabia!

While the Punto is not powerful or as good to drive as a Palio 1.6, it is a far better option then the Fabia. The 80K you pay over the Fabia is well worth it just for the 4 cylinder 90ps engine over the Fabia's 3 cylinder 75ps one.
  5. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    Always keep in mind

"Compare Cost of Ownership rather than On Road price".
    One only pays once for Owning a car but its the Ownership cost that comes often.

You want another example, a friend of mine owns Fabia, about 3/4 months back his Electronic ORVMs got stolen, the only thing left outside was mirror cap. He was quoted sum in excess of Rs.12000. Till now i have never seen his car with opened ORVMs coz he is not going for it. As per him Rs 12000 = 2 months installment + bit more money.

As for other points:
    1> Ground Clearance (158 mm) lowest in hatchback segment. Amit answered.

2> ABS+EBD not there in this model. Absolute necessary irrespective of speed you drive at.

3> rear defogger not there. subjective, i do miss them in my Xing.

4> 1.2 L 3 cylinder engine. 75 PS output..... Amit Answered

5> What is the maintain cost in compare to Punto? What about A.S.S? I guess you got my point on this

7> No Music system ...I can add it letter IMO Shouldn't be a deal breaker in any case, there are more important things than this.

6> How about the AC? Good, first hand experience
  6. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Avoid Skoda if u want piece of mind..Spares are very costly and service is a daylight robbery and horror..rest choice u make for urself...skoda wheel caps are for 6-7k...now wheel caps dont cost more than Rs 500/- odd...isnt this daylight robbery for a brand which is claiming itself as premium in INDIA?? SkODA shud PODA from india...
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Don't go for Scoda. ASS of Scoda is seriously bad. & most important NVH level are always more in 3 cylinder pot

As per my information,in India auto manufacturer do not install Crankshaft Balancer to absorb torsional vibes of crankshaft except Bajaj Auto & Suzuki
    If Iam not wrong,not a single car manufacturer who use Crankshaft Balancer.

Only Bajaj Auto & Suzuki motors adopt this technology.
    Crankshaft balancer technology is only in Pulsar 150 to 220 & Suzuki GS 150 R. So avoid 3 cylinder engine.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Ever heard of a 'harmonic balancer' ?

Where do u get your silly concepts from?

9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I did not get meaning of your statment. Are you denying this info ?

Pulsar's Engine equipped with counterbalancer for controlling vibrations. If you are not beleiving then ask any mechanic. He will explain you. How counter balancer works. & how it is difficult work to set timing of balancer gear of Pulsar.

For your information Part No.of Balancer of Pulsar is DK101224.
    I have complete spare part catlogue of Pulsar UG-II & Pulsar UG-III & Pulsar 220 DTS-FI
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

FYI ,Nissan Micra has got a 3 cylinder engine and it has got a counter balancer. Correct me if I am wrong. ::D