1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New set of Tyres for Punto 90

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by raut, Nov 6, 2012.

1. raut

raut

Mumbai
    Dear All,

I have 90 BHP Punto, done 33,000 km. stock wheels were 195/60 R15 Goodyear GT3. Off late 2 tyres were gone out of roundness, so replaced 2 tires with same dimension Bridgestone RE88(15 days back).

after replacement I feel
    1. The new tires are quite hard (every pot hole is felt in the car)
    2. tires give strong THUD noise on every expansion joint on all the flyovers & on every small undulation on the concrete roads

Now next couple of tires also due for replacement (must within 15 days as I am without Spare wheel after Rear Left tire got puncture & i drive for couple of Km without noticing the puncture.. )

Dear tire experts please suggest which tires should I choose ?

My priorities
    1. Should feel soft on suspension {should be able to glide rough patches}
    :::: this was good thing about GT3 with 28 PSI pressure against 32 PSI as recommended by Fiat tyre used to glide on rough patches without any issue
    2. Less road noise
    3. I am not very keen on life of tire even 25--30,000 Km is alright.

Driving habit, Quite hard footed drive

use : mostly in Mumbai with occasional highway drives/ trips to native place..

Please advise...

also dose it make sense to return the 1000 Km used tyres (don't know how much tyre dealer will value such tyres)& replace all tires with different tread patern
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If budget is not a constraint, replace all 4 tyres.

Order of preference (In my view) -
    Michelin Primary LC
    Yoko C Drive

Bridgestone Potenza and Apollo Accelere are also nice tyres, but as per your preference these will not suit you. Bit hard and noisy.

Or if you were happy with GT3, replace with GT3 itself.
    2 people like this.
  3. raut

raut

Mumbai
    Thanks Ravi,

I am not happy with GT3 (due to LOT of road noise) thus shifted to Bridgestone RE88..

Heard from many that Michelin is prone to side wall damage.

Did not know about Yoko C Drive.....please elaborate.

thanks for the timely reply...
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This side wall damage is a myth (to me at-least). Michelin PLC is a fantastic tyre.

I am using C-Drive from last 20K+ KM, and its superb tyre as well. Silent, excellent grip and great comfort. I just had a mega drive on C Drive, on all possible bad roads, full rain/wet roads and it performed excellent.
    2 people like this.
  5. raut

raut

Mumbai
    Dear All,

Need advise:::::

I have change the Goodyear GT3 to Bridgestone RE88 ( same size as mentioned above)

But at the time of replacement the tyre dealer thrown in free nitrogen filling.

Can this be the reason for harsh/ bumpy ride ?

Please note i was maintaining 28 PSI in earlier GT3 and pressure higher than 28 PSI used to give bumpy ride ...

Now i have dropped the pressure to 28 PSI in all the tyres (Nitrogen filled) still the ride is on hard & did not show any effect of reducing pressure from 32 to 30 & then from 30 to 28 PSI.

Should I go back to filling air ? will it improve the softness ?

(as some review suggested Bumpy rides after they switch to Nitrogen)

Thanks

- - - Merged Post - - -

Still not able to decide on which tires to go for soft ride ......

One idea comes to my mind (which could be insane considering everyone going for up-sizing & I am considering downsizing)

Considering that Punto 90 is not that fast in acceleration & I never felt that the grip of Goodyear GT3 less than adequate in any situation .......

Can I switch to 185/65 R15 tyre of premium make (such as Michelin Primacy LC ) which could give similar grip (if not better) on roads & 65 profile will add the softness required.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Difference in Circumference 20.42 mm which is 1.06 %

Tyrestore recommends this upsizing

Upsizing is usually recommended if the difference if less than 2%

So when your speedo reads 70mph, you're actually travelling at 70.74 mph

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted opinion on this....
  6. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

what is your new tyre specs? don't go for narrow tyre. min width should be 195
  7. raut

raut

Mumbai
    Tyre size is same 195/60 R15.

Already replaced 2 tires but now confused on what to do as Bridges tone gives bumpy ride (as compared to Goodyear GT30
  8. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    go for 205 60 r 15 yokohama c drives...... best option..... you can sell the old ones for who wants tyres for cheap.....
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  9. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Please stick to the 195 section width and probably you can go for the 65 profile to get the ride a bit more softer due to higher sidewall thickness.

The Options you have is

At Lesser cost

Michelin XM2

Yokohama A drives

Slightly higher price

Michelin PLC

Yokohama AVS DB V550. Have these tyres on the Nissan Sunny believe they are very grippy and very quiet too. Can save a few hundred bucks as compared to Michelin PLC
    1 person likes this.
  10. raut

raut

Mumbai
    Had a word with a friend in Service division in Fiat, as per him we need to stick to OE tyre size else warranty of related parts(suspension, wheel bearing etc.) will go for toss.

If we overrule this then 205/60 R 15 seems to be perfect choice for my requirements.

Other observation
    At ChangeMyTyre.com
    PRIMACY LC Tubeless Size : P 205/55R 16 91W IN STOCK Price : Rs. 9,500

& PRIMACY LC Tubeless Size : P 195/60R 15 88V IN STOCK Price : Rs. 5,750

Price of 205 is very high as compared to 195 >.>>>>> any specific reason...