1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Punto facing tyre problems

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by superbat, Mar 8, 2013.

1. superbat

superbat

Chennai
    Hi all,
    This is my first post here and i hope that i can solve the problem i am facing with TFIans expert advice. I had bought a Punto MJD Dynamic in june 2012. I have driven it for 9000 kms. Both my rear tyres & the spare tyre have been giving me problems for 3 months now. When i fill the pressure in just 3 days the tyres lose pressure completely. Initially i thought that it was a puncture and had it checked. My right rear tyre had been punctured once before and i thought there might be a problem with the puncture, but on inspection there seemed to be no leak from the existing puncture. I even had the mouth removed and replaced but till now the problem is still there.

On checking with TAFE in chennai, they asked me to bring the vehicle for a check. The service person there said yes there is a leakage and that they will get in touch with Goodyear to see about replacement. Now GY has checked the tyres and they claim that since 1 tyre was punctured and 1 tyre is slightly worn out on the side, they will be unable to replace the tyres and even if they can then it would be just 1 tyre for which they are asking me to pay a sum.

Has anybody faced a similar problem, kindly advice.
  2. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    From your post it looks like Company has agreed that there was manufacturing defect in all of your tyres, otherwise simply leaking air after 9K is not acceptable.
    Somewhere in the forum I have seen a tyre company has replaced the tyre but the owner did pay a part of the price.
    In my view Company should give you new set of tyres to you, charging only 1/3 or 1/4 of the price from you, as you have already driven 9k and taking an avg life of tyre as 36K.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

If the tread wear is within 15% of the tread, no charges, else customer is charged on prorata basis. Atleast Good Year follows this.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. superbat

superbat

Chennai
    Thank you for your reply soumen. Yes goodyear has said that i can replace 1 tyre by paying Rs.1260 (this is a tyre which has a crack/tear on its side). But the tyre with a puncture they are not willing to replace it and also the spare tyre they claim is perfectly fine, but i've faced prooblems with it too. Have just registered a complaint with Fiat. Waiting to see what their response is going to be.
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Rear RHS tire of my ride too face the same issue but i know why it is happening - The rear RHS alloy is bent in my ride. I dont want to scare you to bits, but do check if you have any issues with the alloys.
  6. superbat

superbat

Chennai
    I don't have alloys on my tyres, but we did check if there was a problem with the wheel caps and rim. Thx for your advice.

- - - Merged Post - - -

But what if there is a puncture, Goodyear has refused to even check the tyre because it had a puncture?
  7. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    I would suggest you change all tyres to Yoko or Michelin or some other good brands, don't buy in to those people. These OEM tyres are always problematic. I always faced this infamous left pulling issue, it is completely vanished after changing to Yoko C drive.

Note : I changed my OEM tyres after 18k.
  8. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Superbat bro i will suggest you to replace all the 4 tyres with either Yoko's or Continental. Since yours should have a 14 inch steel rims. I suggest you to get all the four tyres replaced to 185/70 R14 continental tyres or 185/70 R14 Yokohama C Drives.

Dont spend money in getting another Goddyear's. Goodyear and JK are useless.

My Punto Active were with JK Toronado's which lasted only 14k kms. In that itself 2 tyres were bald at one side and 2 tyres started to crack.

I replaced them with Michilen's primary LC. They were very good and very soft and wears out soon.

2 of my PLC had got cracks so i replaced them Yokohama AVS dB super silent tyres. Yokohama's are very good and good quality also.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You are wrong about Goodyear ,dont know about JK.
    GT3 is always good.
  10. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Goodyear GT3 are very okay tyres compared to Good Year Duraplus. Normally in Active and Dynamic you get either JK Toronados or Goodyear Duraplus not GT3.

Even nowadys new Punto's comes with either Appolo Acceler or Goodyear Duraplus. Fiat has stopped giving GT3 in all new punto emotions.

In linea Emotion we get Goodyear Eagle 16 inch 205/55 R16