1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Punto 1.3MJT Dynamic - Few issue observed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by nagar.sandeep, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Hi All,
    I purchased new punto 1.3 diesel dynamic from DRS motors Faridabad. I observed certain annoying things in the car, as listed below:

1. Distance meter shows more KMs then actually travelled. My office is around 24.5KMs from my home but punto shows it approx. 31 kms. I verified with dealer, surprisingly all puntos show same faulty reading. This is deliberately done by Fiat to show more mileage. The actual mileage I’m getting is around 14-15 km/l but mileage indicator is showing 18 km/l. I believe it will improve with time or after first service.
    2. Weird feature: As the fuel indicator reaches half mark past the red strip, it comes down to zero automatically. I had to stop my car in between to check if there's any fuel leakage. But later dealer confirmed that it’s a feature.
    3. Car’s pulling power diminishes as soon as AC is on. It reminds me old Indica car which do not pickup with AC running.
    4. Fourth gear is hard to apply and gear lever makes rattling sound in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gear.

I can live with all but with the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] issue, where the power is lost as soon as AC is switched on because it’s a brand new car and this shouldn’t happen, it doesn’t pick up at all and requires a lot of gear shift.

I want to know whether these are common issues with punto or it’s happening only with me or things will get better with time.

Thanks,
    Sandeep Nagar
  2. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sandeep,</SPAN>

1> To begin with the Distance to Empty Tank is just an approx. estimation of how much the car can travel with your Current Fuel Load, it works like IC(instant consumption) it keeps varying depending on your Foot on the Gas and Road condition(Climbing Up/Down the Road).

The point you should know is when your car reaches Reserve the Distance to Empty goes Blank and it is very much mentioned on the Manual.

There is no deliberate attempt been done by the car manufacturer, if you do not believe the accuracy what the Average consumption does then just do this exercise, Fill your Tank until the Fuel Filler shuts off(Do Not Top Up) Zero your Trip Meter A & & at the same time before starting the car and then drive for the next 100-150 kms and then do a refill and calculate manually and compare the figures with the Trip computer, I have personally found no issues what so ever except the Round off factor which the Trip computer does the computation is accurate.

If you are able to get a lot of difference, keep the proffs along with ACA & ACB snap shots, Fiat will change the Entire Unit Under Warrenty.

2> The Fuel Indicator yes, once you have touched the Red mark, along with the Orange warning light .the gauge suddenly dips
    The Main intension of this is that you should never drive the car in Reserve Tank, again this is explained in the Manual, </SPAN>

3> The AC adds 30% Load on the Engine, You cannot do anything about the Load but what you can do is Try to keep the Temp knob somewhere in the Middle, Punto comes with a Solid AC compressor so the Cooling might not be instant but over time it cools the Cabin efficiently, We have so many users who drive Punto/Linea and they start the AC from the Star of the Trip till the End of the Trip.</SPAN>

4> This can be a Issue, you should get this rectified because apart from the Gear shift being rubbery the Gears sits on the Slots perfectly with no issues.

Just a Last Word, your Service Advisor/ Sales Advisor / Technician is really of no help because if he has some Knowledge he should have at least checked facts before giving you his Judgments because as a Consumer You are Right to Ask and as an Authorized Service Provider he is supposed check before simply nodding his head and put a Fault on all the Cars.</SPAN>

Punto/Linea is definitely a Good Car that is why it’s called a B+ and a C+ Segment cars.</SPAN>
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. Thanks Anup for prompt reply.
    Filling some relief :) after reading your response.

- - - Merged Post - - -

oops! :eek: i meant to say feeling relieved!
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First of all, not all of these are issues. My replies below.

I don't know why the dealer said that. Maybe he wanted to go to any length to have some explanation. I hope you haven't changed the tyres to any other size by the way. If so, please share the tyre size/specs that you have got now. Factory fitted tyres come with 175/70R14 on dynamic IIRC. Mileage will improve after some Kms mainly because you will get to know how to get the maximum of everything out of the Multijet only with time.

My advise is to reset the tripmeter and get the tankful. Then see how the MID performs and compare it with tankful to tankful method.

This is not an issue. This is normal and seen in all Fiat cars. Its not good esp for the fuel pump to drive with such low fuel levels. Your car wants you to fill diesel and thus stops telling you the level after certain level.

A new Fiat car feels very underpowered. Wait and see how it performs once it has done 5000-6000Kms.

Its normal in the sense that its reported by many owners. For me it was the first gear and reverse to some extent as well. This will go away by 1500-2000km.
  5. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Precisely! As a new owner the questions Sandeep asked are very normal, but the answers..my god! That is one stupid SA! No wonder Fiat has such a bad image!

@Sandeep- maybe your gear shift pattern too is playing a role in exaggerating the AC power drop issue. With time, as you adapt to the car, this issue will fade away.
    Also, the fuel gauge reading varies slightly with inclinations. This is all the more apparent if the quantity of the fuel is low.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Sandeep,

As Anu and Yashik have already clarified the "so called issues" I would like to bring to your attention that once the fuel level touches the red markings and the low fuel indicator is On please dont wait for the fuel to be further consumed before refuelling. Just refuel at the next opportunity. Also reg the Distance displayed, I never had any issues with the readings coz the readings in Punto and in my earlier Fiesta exactly match for my daily trips to office. If it is the mileage you are concerned aboout, then worthwhile getting checked at the workshop.

I find the shifting from 3 to 4th gears absolutely buttery.