1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New owner of a Palio 1.6 seeking tips

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Aman Alam, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I've just got around this group through Google search, and am thankful for being here :)

I recently bought a 2007 Palio Stile Sports 1.6 from my cousin, have started serious driving from this car only, and am loving the performance so far.

Since I am more of a biker, car terminology and handling is very new to me.

Could the community help me with:
    - Some tips/tricks to handle the car better
    - Any gotchas that the owners already are aware of
    - A good mechanic in Bangalore, who knows Palio, to at least take advices from
    - Any pointers that you think would be useful

Huge thanks in advance! :)
    varunrtr and Raaz like this.
  2. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @Aman Alam!
    Welcome to FIAT in particular and CARs in general. Congratulations for owning a Palio.
    Apt question regarding handling, since BIKErs are a different BREED, I mean the real ones.
    The response of the vehicle and the responsibility of driver are totally different for cars.
    I graduated from scooter to car and then to bike, therefore, didn't have much issues.
    - If you haven't learnt driving properly yet, take lessons at professionally run driving school like MARUTI's.
    - Watch functioning breaks and tyre pressures
    - Use all the RVMs, they actually help in city traffic. Most people keep the sides ones folded.
    - Keep visiting this forum daily for new information, experiences, problems and solutions (I do)

Wishing you happy and safe driving
  3. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I have been driving this car since at least 3k kms, I am less inclined to take lessons.

I have been using my different bikes since more than 14 years for commute and tours.
    But I don't wear all those leather jackets with beard and metal knuckles :)

Thanks, I always use all the mirrors, although the right hand side driving mirror is problematic.

What would you mean by "functioning breaks and tyre pressures" ?

-Aman
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Cool!
    I meant those who eat, sleep, live BIKEs.
    There is a thread in this forum about setting RVMs that I liked very much - refer that.
    It was a typo - I missed 'of' .
    Aman Alam likes this.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @Aman Alam!

Welcome to the forum & congratulation for Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. I too own special edition Palio S10. :)

How old is the car?

Did you change the all lubricant (engine oil, brake oil, transmission oil, power steering oil)? It is useful to change when you buy the vehicle as it will easier to keep the track of drain intervals of all these things in car.

Did you change all belts in the car? (Timing Belt: The most important part of 1.6 Mill, Rest are aux belts like power steering belt, alternator belt etc) Again same theory of keeping track of change intervals of these belts.

Check if car has any rusting on body and if there is any rust then rush to nearest paint booth to rectify it.

This is my Palio S10 Restoration Thread you can have a look.

Pavan Kadam's garage Bugstop is famous for maintaining the Palios. He also own 2 Palios GTX, if I am not wrong. I dont have much details about his garage but members from Banglore will help you out.
  6. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The car is at least 7 years old.
    I didn't see any rusting, thankfully.
    Yes, I did change all the oils, but not the belts. The idea is good, I appreciate! :)

I'll check the bugstop thread.

Btw, I have another thread about some problems with clutch, you'd want to have a look? : http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/palio-issues-with-clutch.15452/
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You can take chance with aux belts. But don't take chance with timing belt. You can follow regular maintenance schedule if you know when the previous owner had changed the belt. Else change the timing belt ASAP to be sure you don't end up with possible expensive engine rebuild if the belt snaps.
    kedarbendre likes this.
  8. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Thanks!
    I did have an inspection and the servic guy didn't highlight a problem with any of those belts.
    Should I still go ahead and change them?

Any idea on how much they'll cost?

Many thanks once again!
  9. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Congrats @Aman Alam and wish you to have a great driving experience with your Palio.

I heard Rajesh is good mechanic in Bangalore. I was told he got good knowledge on Palios.

If you want his mobile number, let me know. All the Best.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Timing belt costs around Rs. 1700 and you need to buy tensioner and pully along with belt. That would be good idea imo.

Labour charges depends where you getting it done and make sure that particular garage proper tool gauge all to set correct timing.