1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Michelin XM2 tyres for Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by atul-mca, Sep 5, 2013.

1. It comes in 195/60 r15??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Please do not get offended as the sole objective of this discussion is to have the correct information :).
    didn't really find much in the above link but after reading at some other places i see that you have a point.

what i found is that softer compound tyres can result in :
    1. better grip (aids handling)
    2. sidewalls flexing more (hampers handling)
    now it becomes even more confusing!!

My take on this is that, performance tyres, which have very low profile, are made of very soft compound and hence they aid in handling. But this is keeping in mind that the low profile doesnt allow for much flexing.
    But in case of passenger car tyres like the ones we use, if those are made of softer compound, flexing will be more pronounced due to the profile and hence handling will be negatively affected more than, being positively affected due to grip from softness.

Hope this makes sense.

Other members having experience with multiple tyres can pitch in with their opinions!
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

bangalore
    i have driven the XM2 tyres clad dad's vehicle for quite sometime before i bought my 90hp and found the tyres were leaps and bound ahead of apollos.

My 1st preferred choice would most definitely be Michelins. If my dad's car had 15'inch rims i would have swapped the michelins the day i got my car delivered :D but unfortunately his is 14' rims :mad:
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I drove with Goodyear GT3 for over 6000 kms and currently running on Yokohama C drives.

Totally agree with @shams.

Goodyear GT3 never disappointed me a bit when it came to handling. Now we all know GT3 are the hard compound tyres. Even the grip was excellent with GT3 but the ride quality was compromised.

Now coming to Yokohama C drive, the ride is smooth, less road noise, good grip but handling is gone for a toss big time. All thanks to the soft compound.

P.S this experience is after driving using both the tyres extensively :)

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk 2
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My Ride running on two different brands Yoko AVS DB and MY02 :D .
    When runnign with Yoko AVS DB and GT3 felt Yoko AVS DB is excellent.The tires are really silent.
    Now with Yoko AVS DB and MY02,MY02 wins here ;) .

May be next change would be MY02 with Michelin PLC.Lets see who wins ;)
  6. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    My apologies if I went overboard or if that is how I came across.

Yes it does.

We've come to a consensus.

Cheers
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Softer compound = larger contact area = better grip = better handling
    Softer sidewall = more flex = poor cornering

Hope that makes sense.

Rajan

PS: I have used MRF ZVTS, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Michelin XM1+, Continental Eco Contact 3 and Apollo Accelere. Each one for an average of 45 K Kms, except the Apollo - 16 K Kms. Nevertheless, I have used Google to find this information.
    3 people like this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Now that brings me to the next question.

Till now my understanding is that the entire tyre (including sidewalls) will be made of the same compound. Is that correct or do we have tyres which are made of soft compound for road contact area but the sidewalls are hard?
  9. Yoko c drives are exact opposite of what you just mentioned.

By increasing the tire pressure you can get little stiffer sidewalls.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    What happens when you increase the tire pressure?

Its no secret that adding more air pressure can improve the overall handling; but, adding more pressure is not the same as having a tire that has stiff sidewall built for cornering. Here are some of the negatives of adding air to counter sloppy sidewalls:

Air is a spring ā€“ As you add more and more air to the tire, you may notice that the suspension may start to skip over road imperfections. When this happens, the tire is no longer in contact with the road and therefore has no traction. This is because air is a natural spring, and increasing the pressure in your tire also increases this spring rate.
    Air wants to be in a round container ā€“ Iā€™m sure you have noticed that high-pressure vessels are typically round in shape with some being perfect spheres. The pressure of the air acts evenly on all surfaces, so as it increases, the tread of the tire begins to bulge out decreasing the contact patch.
    High pressure does not provide a lot of lateral support ā€“ While adding more air is easy to notice as far as comfort is concerned, the sidewalls seems to flex disproportionately to the amount of pressure added. Cornering ability does increase, but ride quality is reduced at a greater rate. Handling generally gets sharper with higher pressure, but lateral traction will start to taper off as pressure increases.

Source

Rajan
    1 person likes this.