1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Michelin XM2 tyres for Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by atul-mca, Sep 5, 2013.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    don't you think two of your above mentioned points contradict each other?
    I would have read/heard atleast a hundred times that michelins are not good for bad roads due to their soft sidewalls but haven't come across a single incident where someone reported a side wall cut!!

I have been running on Michelin PLC 195/65 R15 for last 18500+ kms and my experience with them goes like this:
    Positives:
    1. Ride quality is very good.
    2. NVH i feel is ok.
    3. Handling is good but can't really compare with other tyres because my previous tyres were 165/80 R14.
    4. I have driven on all kinds of roads with these tyres, have been to ooty, coonoor, coorg, yelagiri, munnar etc.
    5. Have driven in heavy rains on highways as well as ghats.
    6. Even in the city i drive on broken roads potholes etc every day!

Negatives :
    1. Sidewalls are indeed soft (they are not weak mind you) so i feel handling could have been better with harder sidewalls but then Ride quality would not have been so good. Hence this is not really a negative point but its a matter of choice. we can't really have the best of both worlds. Read ride quality and handling.

General:
    1. In order to maintain them well, have got alignment/balancing done thrice.
    3. Two of the tyres have had a total of three punctures in city due to nails.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. atul-mca

atul-mca Amatore

Faridabad
    CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Does tyre being soft means, they wear faster too? My daily run is approx 100 km with 70-30% ratio between good and bad road. Can i expect 50k from Michelin XM2? I have also heard company claims better fuel efficiency with these tyres..
  3. atul-mca

atul-mca Amatore

Faridabad
    Reliance autozone person said, Michelin XM2 will last 60-65k i.e. longer than my Apollo accelere which lasted 51k. They are quoting 5300 per tyre for Michelin XM2.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    how much it will last really depends on how you maintain it. get wheel alignment (balancing if required) done every 5k kms, it will easily last 50 k kms. Reliance autozone prices are slightly higher than other tyre shops generally.
    call on justdial and ask for michelin (or whichever ones you want) tyre dealers and tell them you are ok to get a call from them. many dealers will call you, then you can compare the price.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India

Having good handling is not a reflection of the softness/hardness of a tyre, so I rest my case. Best example is Maxxis which are super-soft tyres but ride quality and handling are good with them. So I rest my case.

And I am not claiming this based on assumptions. I had Michelin PLC 185/65 R15 in my Honda City. IMO Yoko A-drives are a better bet.

P.S. Some people go in for Michelins just because they are michelins. Read superior brand value.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    before resting your case can you give a simple explanation as to how super soft tyres can be the best of handlers? i am not able to picture that
    3 people like this.
  7. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Just for you dude, just for you I googled out this article. Read it page by page and when understand I am saying (in a broader way), come back and then we'll talkHowStuffWorks "12 Tire Buying Tips"

Peace out.
  8. Again another google wala comes...great the article,very well written I must admit..did you understand a bit of it??
    When a senior member here with on hand experience says something you dont need to get offended or try googling out to contradict that..
    Simply just log out or dont bother to answer till you use a similar spec tyre and have some experience with it..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
  9. atul-mca

atul-mca Amatore

Faridabad
    I called reliance autozone again and this time they quoted 5800 for Michelin XM2, they said 5350 may have been quoted with mistake :eek:
  10. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

At a reputed tyre shop at Pune, XM2 costed 5800 per tyre two weeks ago. I am talking of 195/60/R15.