1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Michelin XM2 tyres for Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by atul-mca, Sep 5, 2013.

1. atul-mca

atul-mca Amatore

Need suggestions on buying new tyres for my Linea, i have Apollo accelere, which have run around 51k, i hate them because of high noise tyres. One of the dealer is suggesting Michelin XM2 and claiming low noise, high run, better handling tyres. Please advise on the tyres.
  2. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

My other car at home (Fabia) is running on Energy XM2 after being swapped from apollos and are superb, Low road noise and since it has softer sidewalls more comfort. Both wet and dry grip is significantly better... Regarding weak side walls there is no issue with these until now.. was swapped when the car had gone 45000 kms.. as of today it is 73000kms !
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Hey Atul. I see that you're from faridabad. Don't go in for michelins. Yes, they produce less noice and yes, they give better handling but they are softies. I would not recommend michelins if you frequent on bad roads.
  4. I am on plc and happy with it.
  5. i personally believe... one should go for tyres tested and proved for indian road conditions...
    Michelin's though are not manufactured and tested in india.. seems to be the best when comes to comfort and ride... but the soft sidewalls are a concern on bad roads.. if you can take care of that then its okay... otherwise.. look for bridgestone.. you have enough variants there.. I personally have changed to Turanza AR10 (195/60 R15) for my linea few days back..
    list your priorities... what is that you are looking for ...
    you cannot have the best of both worlds of rubber (soft - excellent grip wet and dry, comfort, less noise and hard - road noise, bumpy ride, less comfort) ..
    you may have to settle somewhere in between if your drive is on both good and bad roads..
  6. Michelin is like FIAT people who did not buy them will be dead against the brand.
    Please solicit opinion with the people who have used them.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

When my Palio was delivered on 18th Dec 2007, I drove straight to the tyre shop. I had got Aura alloys pre-delivered there. Upsized to 185/65 R14 from 165/80 R13. Went for Michelin XM1. I lost one tyre when I ran over a piece of iron scrap at high speed on the way to Hyderabad. Replaced with same brand.

After 48K kms, when I had to change my tyres, I was actually sad to see them go. They were supremely comfortable, noiseless and I had only one puncture. I chose Continental Eco Contact 3 and regretted not buying Michelin again for the next 30 K Kms, I owned the Palio for.

2 people like this.
  8. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Moving from GT3 to XM2 gave a very comfortable ride, absolutely no noise when we got tyres changed two weeks ago on my friend's 2009 Punto MJD Emotion pack.
    Very next day he went to Goa for a trip from Pune and later in the week to Hyderabad. Too early to comment but the plush ride and grip levels were brilliant.

His original GT3s lasted for 49k KM until the above took place.
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Is XM2 available in 195/60 R15? When I was looking for a swap for the 90HP I was told only PLC from the Michelin stable is available for this size.
  10. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    I have been using Michelin for long, i have used XM1+ on my other car, driven 40k and no problem till now. Have Michelin PLC on Linea and driven 12k and extremely happy with them. Very quiet, very good wet and dry grip. People, who say that soft rubber of Michelin couldn’t withstand India roads, have not used them. I have driven on Michelin to Srinagar, Jammu, Jaipur, Dalhousie, Mcleodganj, Dehradun, Amritsar, Jalandhar, Patiala, Hardiwar, Shivpuri and Ambala extensively from Delhi, even where there were no roads or roads extensively damaged due to rains. Never took any special precaution while driving and never had any problem.

As far as sidewall is concerned, i did cut my sidewall of GT3 on my car in first week of ownership and GT3 are consider to have a very hard sidewall. Never have sidewall problem with Michelin till now, it was all due to bad luck and how my car went through a pothole. You can cut sidewall of any tyre, it all depends on the circumstances.
    Else it is your preference, please make an informed decision. Personally my preference would be in order given below

1. Michelin PLC or Primacy 3 ST or XM2
    2. Yokohama AVS DB decibel (Silent and little hard sidewall as compare to PLC)
    3. Yokohama C drive or A Drive
    3 people like this.