1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Linea T-Jet 2013 Test Drive & Review.

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by BoseSuman, Jul 6, 2013.

1. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Finally we were in the cockpit of Jet.

Team Joined:- Kiran, Pradeep, Srikanth, Rudresh & myself.

Model tested:- Tjet Emotion ( H73 on the ODO).

We reached Tejaswi Showroom at 11.00 A.M, We requested Srikanth to bring his 1.4 Emotion to compare.

First Drive:-

Showroom to ORR:- City Driving.
    Tjet:- Myelf ( driving), Rudresh & CR from Showroom.
    1.4 :- Kiran ( driving), Srikanth & Pradeep.
    ORR :- ( Gachibowli to Patancheru & then towards Vijayawada Road & Return to showroom).
    Rudresh, Pradeep & Srikanth was in driver seat, then Kiran took the charge & drove till Showroom.

1.Driving Experience:-

As a Turbocharged Petrol Engine, Drive is more Fun than Normal 1.4. But in city drive Power in lower band is almost zero like NA 1.4. But after 1800 pull started and you can feel the power delivery very linear, Not any jerk.
    In Diesel, Punto Pull started from 1200 and Linea pull started from 1700, so here punto is more free to drive in city.
    We can feel that TJet is very rev-free engine with turbo-boost. Unlike NA 1.4 it is very silent in higher speed too.
    We drove till 200 in TJet & 180 in NA1.4. P.S:- This is not to encourage anyone, we checked this only to test & full empty ORR.
    We can feel the stress in 1.4 and freeness in TJet. T-Jet is super silent, no sound in higher speed too. Good Year NCT5 is also silent unlike GT3 (Tyre in TJet: - NCT5 & 1.4 NA:- GT3).
    Engine is very responsive and 207 NM torque never gave a feel to us that we were driving a petrol car. MJD is noisier when you cross 120, but Tjet is super silent Gem in 180 too.

2. Ride, Handling & Drivability:-

TJet Ride, Handling & Drivability is far better than 1.4. May be with 16 inch tyre & wheel. Compare to higher GC we never felt any undulation or Body rolling in Straight line. TJet is rock-solid in higher speed too. Cluch is super light than earlier Linea or Punto. Steering is very light compare to old Linea or Punto in City
    But in city drive I felt very little undulation while cornering compare to my2010 Punto (same road & corner), other member can confirm this. But this you can’t feel if you compare with any other Car (except BMW, AUDI or Mercedes or higher).

3. Looks, Exterior and Interior:-

TJet is same beauty as other Linea; with exterior looks you will not feel any difference. We drove pearl white colour Car. Somehow this colour is not nice as BNW. This is metallic colour but in Sunlight It is looking dull compare to BNW.
    Interior as famous as earlier. I liked the dashboard design always, but not the material quality. Compare to Punto & linea, TJet Interior quality is really good as soft touch plastic provided in upper part. Lower part colour isn’t same as earlier TJet; it is less bright & easily prone to dust & gets dirty. Quality is not up to the mark for this part as my opinion.
    Interior Panel gap: - Improved some place but not up to the mark in other place. Fiat, when you will change the vendor? we are eagerly waiting for that. Famous glove box gap is still present.

4. Conclusion:-

TJet is very good rev-happy turbocharged Petrol Car you will wish to keep forever. There is hype about High GC issue & looks. With 16 inch wheel we never felt that looks is bad. It is well adjusted with suspension & wheel with 16 inch tyre (we had 1.4 emotion with us to compare).

FE:- This car is not for FE concerned people. If you want to enjoy drive this car is for you, to be frank no car (than BMW, AUDI or Mercedes or higher) can able to fulfill your driving experience.

I clocked 10.5 in city driving, Can achieve 12-13 in my driving style in city.

Now Enjoy the Pics:-

The Team:-

Srikanth's Linea.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    HareeshCR, vijays777, Ravi and 4 others like this.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Nice and crisp review. Superlike :D

Totally agree with this. Got to see the new T-Jet in flesh and blood today at Aadya Service centre today. What was FIAT thinking??? The interiors look like poor cousin of the earlier T-Jet. Sad.

3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Today i had been to KHT and there I saw a FR linea and i think its 2013 model only.
    The GC looks to be really high on this and it looked really really odd.
    I glanced at it a couple of times but didn't have time for a closer inspection but it almost looks like SUV ground clearance .
  4. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

@The black..this is old Linea..i think its 2009 model..FR Linea was ther in only 2009 later it was discontinued..owner of this car opted for raised GC thats sure..
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    I saw this Linea being pushed to the service area by the staff, may be due to some issue, then driven back after a few minutes. It's a brand new car and didn't look like 2009 model. And yes it is a T-jet.
  6. It was great to be a part of the team TDing the new babe, hot from the showroom. It was such a pleasure to drive this babe on a free and wide road.

Anyway, here is my part of the review:

Me & Pradeep were the second team to TD the sweetheart post Suman & Rudresh team checking her out and Kiran was next.

Well, "AWESOME" is the word to describe her control at high speeds and the confidence she inspires while cornering. As rightly pointed out by my friend Suman, it does have a little body roll noticed while high speed cornering, but is negligible when compared to the old Linea.

A few things noticed from my end:

- Engine seems refined & tweaked to deliver max output and for sure has enough power for long rides without straining the engine.

- Handling was wonderful, steering being Hydraulic PS, it was very well behaved unlike Electronic PS and flicking/changing lanes at high speeds was addressed with a charm.

- Power delivery is more linear, making it easier to drive in city traffic.

- Braking was exceptionally good with all four disc brakes and high speed to a stand still was handled like a dream. Old Linea had discs in the front and drums in the rear. ;)

- AC felt more chillier than the old Linea with more air throw from the blower. Both tested with same settings of temperature and fan speed.

- Engines sounds more subtle and pretty much in-evident into the cabin unlike old Linea. One visible reason for the same is the engine sound proofing beneath the hood in the new Linea as shown in the pics which wasn't present in the old one.

- Internal door handles, gear shifter lining with faded chrome covering has been replaced with shiny nickel chromium and looks classy than its older counterpart.

- Fit & Finish is much worse than in old Lineas, observed the music system and a few other panels misaligned.

- Serious braking from high speed to stand still involved a little fish tailing but not to an uncontrollable extent.

- Weird air rushing sound was significantly audible into the cabin from both the RVMs due to air current althrough the drive on the express way. This sound was strangely & completely missing in my old Linea cruising at the same speed.

Nice Clicks Suman/Rudresh. My babe looks wonderful. ;) Looks much better to me than the TJET... :p
    4 people like this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Yes its a brand new unregistered car . It could not have been 2009 model. The GC was really really high
  8. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Then its Tuscan wine colour..Flamingo Red colour is not there in new 2013 T-Jet..
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

ok then i might have got the color combo wrong
  10. johy

johy Amatore

Hi guys,

Nice review. But you really should post a side profile picture of the new car (next to the old model) to compare how the wheel well looks with the increased ground clearance. I think the old one was better in this regard. I got a small glimpse from one of the pictures above and the tire does not seem to "fill" the wheel well properly. Unlike the older model, which I think was the perfect fit.