1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New FIAT LINEA 1.3 MJD Emotion

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by dhaya76, Oct 24, 2013.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    As planned, had a trip to Coimbatore. The plan was to start at 5 pm from Chennai and reach Sankagiri by 11 pm and start to coimbatore next day around 7 am. But always, plan is a plan and we were able to leave home at 5:30 pm. I use to take Guindy, Airport, Pallavaram, Tambaram route and no change this time. But a surprise was waiting for me near Airport. What else, a big traffic jam and vehicles were crawling and sneaking through small gaps. It usually take 40 mins to reach from Ashok Pillar to Tambaram but this time for a change, it took me 1 hr to reach Tambaram but from Airport. Some cable lying work going on which blocked one lane. After Tambaram, thank god not much of traffic and we were able to continue our journey without any issues. We stopped at Thindivanam for dinner around 9 pm. We started again at 9:45 pm and reached Sankagiri by 1 am. This was the first very late night drive for me. I didn't feel any tired even though I was in office untile 4 pm previous day.

We were late starting from Sankagiri. Instead of 7 am we could start only by 8:30 am. Tanked up in a LOA bunk outside Sankagiri and when I was crossing the service lane I heard a thud sound. I thought it could be stones laied in the service lane but to my surprise the sound continued. I thought of continuing the journey if the sound is minimal and check in Fiat service centre in Coimbatore (after Salem, we have the next service centre only in Coimbatore). But the sound started increasing and I was worried. Called up the Fiat service help line and I couldn't get hold of them since the line was too busy. Then I decided to call the Fiat RDC road side help number and the second ring a guy picked up. Following was the conversation

Me: I am hearing a thud sound from front right tyre
    RDC: is the car pulling to right hand side?
    Me: No
    RDC: When you move the car, are you getting any noise
    Me: No
    RDC: is the sound only coming when the road is uneven
    Me: Yes
    RDC: Check the car tyre to find out any of the bolt is loose. Move the car and apply the break to see any difference in tyre.
    Me: Did both and no issues
    RDC: The problem should be the link rod, you can go to any service centre and ask them to tighten it
    Me: Will there be any issue if I continue driving without fixing it, in case I don't see any service centre
    RDC: Yes you can, but better to fix it.
    Me: Thanks a lot.

When I was slowly moving, I saw a service centre named "X Trail" near Bhavani by pass. Went there and told the issue to the service engineer. He inspected the vehicle and then removed the link road and did a test drive. He said, yes the problem with the link rod, and he fixed it in half an hour. It took me almost an hour there, but I made sure that the vehnicle is in good condition. Cann't take any risk when kids are there in Car. The car brought to perfect conditon and I continued my journey. After that I didn't face any issue.

To my surprise, I did face the same traffic issue near vandalur and that was around 11:15 pm. Crawling again until I reach Tambaram, and again the same problem there as well. The reason is because of the govt busses only. They stop the bus where ever they want and drop the passengers. I thought when these brainless people will change. Reached home midnight 00:15 am.

Entrie trip I was maintaining between 100 to 110 kmph speed and I got mileage of 19.6 kmpl which is okay to me. First time I see my car giving me less than 20 kmpl, but I understand that it is because of the change in driving style.

Mileage.jpg

Distance Travel.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am not sure anyone faced this problem earlier. When the car is moving on the 5th gear and speed is around 40 kmph, I hear sound from the engine compartment and this issue is there only when the car is moving in this speed (the sound comes when you don't press the accelerator, the sound comes but the car neither stops nor choke). If I increase the speed, then I don't hear the sound. This happens in 4th gear as well. This problem was earlier there and I thought it could be because of the way I drive. But as day goes, the sound started increasing and the problem started only with 5th gear and now it is shifted to 4th as well. Hence decided to give it for service.

Last Saturday I took my car to RDC motors service centre and after test drive by the service engineer, he said the problem could be because the car is not able to increase the RPM at lowspeed to maintain the corresponding level and hence he needs to check the same. Today received the call from service centre and they say that they want to check the gear box as well.

Can anyone throw some light on what could be the problem here. Also if there is an issue with gear box, I hope it is covered as part of the warranty.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I got call from RDC service centre yesterday and they informed me that the gear shaft bearing is been damaged and they have to replace it. It is not one single bearing, it is the complete set which is 5 of them [main, cave like pocket (bearing support) etc]. Planning to visit the service centre by this week end.

I am not too sure why this has happend and need to check with them. They confirmed to me that the these replacements will cover under warranty. I will update you all once I visit the service centre.
  4. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yesterday evening I went to RDC service centre at Ekkattuthangal and met the service engineer. He said that they referred the issue to other engineers (not only in RDC, other fiat centre as well) and they said that the issue is common for all diesel engine. I am sure it is not the case. If the engine has a problem in the fuel injection, then it has to choke and stop and not keep running in the same speed with sound. Also the engine is not showing any issue (I saw the examiner screen). As I said earlier, they have changed around 7 to 8 bearings (I am not sure why the bearings has to be changed after 12K kms, are the quality of the bearings that bad). I am planning to get my vehnicle back and check it with someone else.

Any one has any other known place where I can take my car for diagnosis.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I cannot guarantee if it will be diagnosed succesfully, but you can have it checked from Tensingh at TAFE Reach, Greams Road, Chennai.
  6. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ramesh, I am trying all possible things to fix the problem.
  7. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Reached 14300 kms mark today and planning to give my car for 15K service by this weekend. Need to know from you all on any specific part that I have to ask the service guys to check in my car apart from oil change? I am planning to change the oil.
  8. Lunafiatic

Lunafiatic Amatore

Pune-Mumbai-Pune
    I am listing a few tips and additional things that you should get done.
    1.) Oil change - Standard. ( After they drain the oil, ask them to blow some air through the opening, where you pour the oil. This will take another 100-200 ml off. Tip by Mod Italia_Linea.)

2.) Oil filter change - Standard.

3.) Diesel Filter Change - Standard.

4.) Air filter change - Standard.

5.) Pollen filter change - Standard.

6.) Wheel alignment - Ask for it as I don't think it is Standard.

7.) Wheel swap/Rotation- swap the front wheels with the rear ones. Don't cross swap.

8.) Any other issues you might have faced during your ownership.
    2 people like this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    +1, Good tip there. They tend to be in a hurry to fill the oil and get cars out of the ramp, do this trick, seems neat.
    1 person likes this.
  10. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks a lot lunafiatic for your tip. I will talk to the service engineer to do these things. Also planning to buy some fues for light and horn. I had an issue during the last trip when the horn wasn't working properly. Looks like one of the fues would have gone (from my previous experience, one horn works fine but the other doesn't) but I will know when I get to the service station.

One more thing would like to know from you all, if I change the horn (planning to change the one available with benz) will there be an issue with the vehicle warranty. If warranty will be an issue, I will not change the horn.