1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New FIAT LINEA 1.3 MJD Emotion

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by dhaya76, Oct 24, 2013.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Went to my native last weekend and back on same day, a sedate driving helped me getting 27.4 km/l for 740 KM, started at 7:10 am from Chennai (Saligramam) and back home at 11:30 pm.

Similar kind of drive last time gave me around 25.7 km/l and the difference with last time is Tyre (earlier I was using JK and now it is Michelin) and using shell diesel compared to BP earlier. I started using Shell for the last three months and could see the difference in mileage. Anyone experienced a mileage difference using Shell fuel?

Is it advisable to use Shell engine oil Helix compared to Selenia?

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG
    gpunto75 likes this.
  2. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    This is quite impressive @dhaya76, but can you give more information on your sedate drive. Road type, turns / twists, ascent- decent, traffic, avg. speed etc.

I got 21 km/l during my recent Indore Shegaon trip that involved good 2-lane road with many villages & speed-breakers one way and hilly, twisting narrow, not-so-good road the return way through Chikhaldara (summer tourist spot in Satpura hilss, Maharashtra). I took 7.5 hrs while going and 12 hours while returning and generally the speed was on lower side of 80kmph most of the time. With these conditions, I find my Linea's figure quite good. It is the highest I got on long drives. Mostly, I have driven on 4-lane NH3 and I got 19 km/l at most. With some fine tune, I can aim to reach your figures. Hence the query!
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi Ravi_M, I usually accelerate gradually and change gears between 1500 RPM to 1800 RPM and if the toll is approx 500 mts, I bring down to neutral and the speed I am coming is good enough to reach the toll and not required to apply hard break. I maintain speed between 80 to 90 most of the time and will try to avoid sudden acceleration unless it is required. I have speed limit set for 100 kmph so that a beep will remind me to slowdown. Only one trip I was driving around to 100-120 KMPH (Chennai to Goa) most of the time but even that time I got a mileage of 22 kmpl, even that time no fast acceleration.

I am using Michelin tyres changed around 5K Kms earlier and always use specific fuel station to refill the tank. This trip is mostly on the 4 lane (NH45 and NH68) except few 2 lanes in the bye passes and traffic congestion was there on tolls until Vilupuram toll both ways and overall average speed is 60 KMPH.
    PradeepM likes this.
  4. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Last weekend did a similar trip to my native and this time I wanted to check the mileage on 90-100 KMPH (maintained the same way of acceleration) and ended up getting 23.5 kmpl (started around 12 pm from home in Saligramam and went to Neelangarai for a personal work and then continued my journey).

While coming back I was driving my usual way and ended up getting an average mileage of 24.1 kmpl for a round trip of 838 Kms. Before leaving Chennai, I changed the engine oil in Shell (Helix 5W40 fully synthetic) and during the trip I felt that the engine noise was lower than usual. Will check again after my next long trip planned later this month and let you all know.

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG
  5. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Great Mileage you got there.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Yet another proof that one can achieve good FE without compromising on the build quality and safety.
    Very nice figures dhaya.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Ravi_M likes this.
  7. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @PradeepM, I agree with you. I always had this opinion that a heavy car's higher momentum can help get good FE, if one is able to use this to benefit. The above are such examples. Driving like this calls for more understanding of car's dynamics, rather than a quick-gun. I am happy that we are discussing good driving techniques on this forum. Do other famous forums discuss such issues?
  8. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks PradeepM and Ravi_M. One of the colleague is also using FIAT (Punto 75 bhp) and he use to tell me that he gets mileage of around 19 kmpl and spoke to him about the driving style and asked him to do few corrections and now he told me that last trip he had gave 21 kmpl mileage and he is happy and confident that the same will increase in future trips.

Few things that I always do while driving apart from regular checks and I am sure all of us are doing

- Speed not exceeding 100 KMPH
    - Gear change happens between 1500 to 1800 RPM
    - No sudden acceleration
    - Keep a distance from the vehicle going in front
    - No risky overtakings
    - Drink around 2-3 liters of water (fresh/packed juice, I prefer lemon juice) for about 370 kms irrespective of day or night drive
    - 1 minimum stop while driving day and 2 during night, prefer not to try with new restaurant/coffee shop for break
    - Keep the window open for a minute to ensure the cabin air is circulated and that will also keep you awake in case you are feeling little drowsy
    - Reach home before 1 am if night drive
    - Fast beat songs and keep the volume little higher while driving night
    - Always start with fuel tank filled (I learnt this during one of my trip to my native with my wife and 6 month old kid where there was a huge traffic block due to an accident and further slow moving traffic, I started home with half tank and had to keep my eyes on the fuel gauge)
    - Hourly update to family about my location (use to call them after reaching alternate toll)
    KPR, Ravi_M and PradeepM like this.
  9. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I gave my car for 75K service (first time gave my car to Ramkay Fiat), paid about 21K whcih includes (timing chain change, 75K regular service, water wash, Interior shampoo wash, leakage in oil pipe etc), need couple of clarifications

- I need to change the timing chain which should have been done in 60K? Is it mandatory at 60/75K? after the change I feel that the mileage is dropped from 16 to 13 in city, need to check for couple of more days.
    - during wheel alignment and balancing they identified the allow is having a bend in the rear alloy wheel. What are the symptoms that we can identify on our own? During my visit to Shirdi I didn't feel anything and the mileage is also very good (3070 kms and 24.3 kmpl)
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes timing chain must be changed at 60k kms in all 90 HP MJDs. For 75 HP MJDs one can postpone. Normally, a bent alloy can cause some steering vibrations. I am not an expert, but have read this in our forum only.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 11, 2016 ---
    Yes there will be a drop in FE (1-2 km/ltr) when we use Shell diesel. IMO, shell diesel makes the engine smoother as well. I normally tank up from Shell. Are you still using shell?
    dhaya76 likes this.