1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Desktop: Offers, Deals, Best Buy

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by J Ravi, Feb 16, 2012.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    J Ravi sir, I would go on to the extent of saying that its a complete waste of money to go for a branded desktop for home use if you have basic ABC knowledge of computer configuration.

The reason why some assembled PCs give more trouble is because many people compromise on 3 most basic things: Power supply, Motherboard and Cabinet.

I got a PC assembled in Dec 2007 and the installer gave me lifetime free diagnostic facility. If there is some trouble in PC, one can take the cabinet to that installer and he will diagnose the faulty part and if that part needs replacement under warranty, it could be replaced from any authorized service center. All PC components come with 3 year warranty except a few that come with 5 years warranty. e.g. RAM and Hard Disc.

For 36k in Dec 2007, I built a PC that could run CRYSIS on high settings in those days.
    1 person likes this.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Ramesh - Come to my home and I'll make you not to believe this anymore. I've a assembled PC which I've done myself by procuring parts and configuration of my interest. It was originally assembled to be functioning as a HTPC, but haven't got to use it yet. If I had to go for Branded PC I wouldn't have got what I wanted - HDMI out with 7 Channel Audio out etc at the budget and specific things I would want. The only worry with the assembled PC's are service - if there is a problem with any unit you would have to try and fix it yourself. For Branded PC's you'll have service done at your home itself and hence saves the hassles.

A properly assembled PC's can seriously give run for money to branded PC's at any given price point. Again it's like comparing Fiat with Maruti - each are good at something, I hope you get the drift ;)

Ravi ji - What's your requirements from Desktop, Do enlighten us and we can help better. Would it be used just for browsing, replying e-mails or something more.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    teky, I have used a assembled PC before and I have recommended all my friends to only go for assembled and not for branded until I owned a branded one.

You are right in telling that any issues with assembled PC's has to be taken care ourself. With branded, there is very least chance of getting a trouble. At least I haven't got any single trouble for the last 4 years.

True. It can again be compared with Fiat as well. Branded one's cabinet are too hard which are built like Fiat Cars :).
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    lol Ramesh - You got the drift wrong way. Branded one's are shiny ala Hyundai, Assembled are like Fiat's and built to taste.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, teky. I want all-in-one desktop with touch-screen and without wires hanging around the pc. Apart from regular browsing, I need to watch movies from DVD, videos, do some PS, play games, video-chatting through Skype, etc.
    Thanks, Cinju, for suggestions.

Thanks a lot, YB, for recommending assembled pc, but, I am psychologically not inclined for that.:)
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I disagree teky.

When I planned to get a new desktop in 2007, after seeing the build quality of my friend's PC (HCL make), I headed straight to Ritchie street in Chennai and tried for almost half day spending at various shops to see if I can get a cabinet like the one that comes in the branded one. I have to come back empty handed. After some thought, I went ahead and bought a branded PC (read Compaq) which I am still using it. Its not like shiny as you mentioned :). It is built hard.

Note:- Ravi Sir wanted to know about the offers and deals currently available for the Desktop PC. This thread is not about Assembled Vs Branded :).
    1 person likes this.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Watch movies on your LED Ravi ji? Then please make sure that the PC you're going to buy can render 1080P videos flawlessly and also can output multichannel Audio out if feasible.

You headed to the wrong place - I ordered most of my components online including the Cooler-Master cabinet I have. Things have changed a lot now and as I said now it's more of personal choice to decide based on Pro's and Con's.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I meant watching DVD on desktop monitor as the LED TV would be fully booked during the weekends!:)
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    If one doesn't want to take the trouble of buying the components and assembling but still prefer an assembled PC, Computer warehouse on MG Road would be a good place. They assemble PCs based on your requirements and budget. They are very reliable and provide on-site service for PCs they assemble. I got a PC assembled by them two years back. No issues so far.
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Dude I hope you haven't come across Cooler Master cabinets. They are one of the best manufacturer of cabinets, SMPS, CPU cooling fan etc & their cabinet design (for best airflow) & built quality is simply superb. It is really tough to get that quality in a branded PC unless you go for corporate /business segment models.
    1 person likes this.