1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Desktop: Offers, Deals, Best Buy

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by J Ravi, Feb 16, 2012.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Now, I don't have a desktop at home. I am seriously considering buying a Dell Inspiron One 2320 Desktop [instead of a laptop as I already have one] costing Rs 60,255. I am not finding this particular configuration in flipkart. Can I go ahead with this one? If so, shall I buy now or after budget? Kindly enlighten me.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ravi Ji, Are you particular about Dell? It is good, but Dell's business is more focused towards the Corporates and not to the home users. Having said that you will have minimal support from them post the purchase. For home usage, my personal choice would be HP/Compaq or HCL. These brands cost less for the same configuration specified by Dell.

I own Compaq desktop at my home. I prefer my desktop while at home than laptop. I find it more convenient than using a laptop. I am using it for the last 4 years without any breakdown so far :).

Edit:- Have a look at this piece.
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF05a/12454-12454-3352963-3352964-3352964-5146296.html?dnr=1
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Ravi: Are you particular about a branded desktop? i have often found that you gt better deals and performance if you are ready to buy and assemble the PC yourself. You can pick and choose all the components and can buy from SP road - I am sure it will work out as cheaper and will have better performance also. Down side is - you have to do your own support. Almost all manufacturers have their service centers in Bangalore, so support is not at all an issue.
    1 person likes this.
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    True. Assembling our own desktop will work out cheaper. But, its no where near the quality of the build provided by the branded pieces. Its robust and the chances of failure of components are very less. I have owned an assembled piece earlier and have been facing frequent issues with it one after another.

Manufacurers follow various QC processes and make a PC to work perfectly. We can't expect this finesse with a assembled piece. Having said that, I strongly recommend branded piece even though if it is more by 10 or 15k.
    1 person likes this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Get an assembled one Ravi Sir. I've been using one since the past 5 years now ( Yes it's hopelessly outdated now . Kind of like a Brontosaurus, but it works well.)

There is no reason why an assembled desktop will in anycase be inferior to a "branded" one.

And i'm sure assemblers in Bangalore will be offering some warranty of their own also. They do so here in Chandigarh. They offered me an year's warranty+free service at my home (back in 2007) , provided i did not broke those paper seals on the CPU and opened it.

In 60K assembled , you can get a killer setup too. :)

The only catch is that the assembler should either be a well known genuine guy or a friend. Shady assemblers are the culprits behind assembled pc's being given a bad name.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @ramjn even though Dell is more focused towards corporate, I don't think they have lost focus for the home segment . As far as I have seen, Dell gave the best support followed by HP. Wipro & HCL also gave good support. Why I am telling this is I used to work for a customer support division of Wipro & wipro used to support Dell in the home/corporate segment in my place. The priority wipro used to give to calls escalated by Dell were too high. They even used to ship spares through air giving priority to customers.

@Ravi sir for your budget the best deal would be an assembled PC & get it done from some reputed dealer. Ask them to incorporate Intel Original motherboard with the Intel processor. One more option is you can take up an AMC kind of thing from the dealer so that you can be on a safer side & you will be as safe as buying a branded PC. I work in the IT Support team & my personal opinion is that there is no guarantee that a branded PC will work better or be more durable than an assembled one. Apart from the service aspect I dont see much logic in that.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ok. If that is the case, Dell won't be a bad choice. Then, my order of preference would be Dell/HP/Compaq -> HCL -> Other Brands. Assembled pieces won't be in my list :). I strongly believe that manufacturers know better on identifying right components to put together to make a perfect PC.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks everybody for suggestions. Nowadays, the difference between a branded pc and an assembled one has reduced a lot. I had an assembled desktop long back. Now, I wish to go in for a branded one, either Dell Inspiron One 2320 or HP TouchSmart 520-1000, as suggested by ramjn. Will take a call within a coupla days.
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

@ramjin -done properly, there is no way an assembled pc will be inferior to a branded PC in any aspects. I assembled my first PC in 2002 and it is still running strong. There have been some part failures like blown up nic, crashed HDD etc, but they are electronics and they do fail at times.

Take a PC case from reputed brand like Coolermaster - I am sure no branded home PC will offer the same quality at same rate. You do get wide verity of choices, be it the mother board, graphics card, processor, ram or just about anything. Only thing is - the guy who assemble the PC should know his job well,and should know what all components to pick and match. There is no point in putting a 1333 MHz or higher ram if the Mother board will not support anything faster than 800 MHz. If you pick and choose your components with good care, you can have your cake and eat it too :)

Just for reference, I am putting a configuration I made for my uncles PC:

Processor - AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 BE
    Mother Board - ASUS M4A88 TM
    HDD - 500 GB Serial ATA Seagate
    RAM - 4GB DDR3 1333 TRANSCEND
    Cabinet - COOLER MASTER ELITE 310 R + Coolermaster SMPS
    Monitor - LG Flatron E2260V-PN
    LG DVD Writer
    MS Key Board & Mouse

The amount was 27,500 and it was done during April 2011.
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @Ravi sir if you are looking out for 'Touch' based PC's then please proceed with branded ones & the ones you have listed seems to be good choice. Give top preference to Dell & HP and try choosing the best amongst them.
    1 person likes this.