1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Car searching started, To Replace 76HP Sports.

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by BoseSuman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    May be I am asking more for FIAT, what they told, they can uniform till 3000 RPM. In 5th gear 120 KMPH comes at 3000, 130 at 3200, and 140 at 3500. FIAT FGT has best range as mid range 80-120. After 140 it's started feel stressed & felt boomy but not breath out, 160 comes at 4000 RPM. That is the reason I wanted only highrange mapped 120-160.

I thought that FIAT released it in Auto-expo, sad. This time I don't want to be in hurry. As One Long drive planned to my hometown each year from Hyd planned, I need to wait for 1.6.

Test Drive Exp:-

Vento: -
    I was very disappointed as they less interested to contact me for test drive. After 1 year waiting finally it happened.
    Vento has good power with 1.6 TDI/250 NM torque but it is noisy. EPS lacks feel to be connected with road, but instant acceleration is really good.
    Interior quality is very good with simple but elegant design. But it’s not looks as big car from inside.
    Dropped that idea.

Fiat Linea TJet:-
    Only one petrol car except Honda can convert me from Diesel head to petrol head. But due to drivability & stability Honda are out for comp.
    All 5 Team Fiatian test drove TJet ( details updated on Tjet thread). As I am looking for permanent Car, I was searching for good quality material in interior. New Fiat will come with this ( need to see this).
    If 1.6 MJD not launched then TJet is the option.

Skoda Rapid:-
    As Skoda is same kind of car like Vento, I was thinking it is same. But it is not, it is less noisy than Vento, and drivability is good. Clutch is jerking suddenly upon release, not sure, but it may be issue with test drive vehicle. They told me to provide MY14 Car within 15 Days ( same price as 2013 Car), with steering mounted control & Projector headlamp. They told from Dec it will be 12.85L.It is good car from drivability than Vento, but very simple from Inside than Vento.

Ford Ecosports:-
    Test drove with 1.5 diesel, most over-hyped car but lacks drivability & braking pathetically. After showroom, for U turn slammed brake at speed 10, sudden jerk and stopped with vibration, shocked. Drove it more than 2 KM to feel, no connect between roads, disappointed.

Ford Fiesta:-
    Asked for Fiesta, they told Car is not available, they will arrange at my home, 25 km from showroom.
    Monday Morning they came to my home for test drive. I test drove almost 40-50 KM.
    Exp:- complete diff from yesterday’s Ecosports exp. drove in City mad traffic in office hrs, 9:45-10:15; I felt it is connected with road properly with HPS. Not sure what they did with Ecosports with same engine & HPS.
    Went through ORR where we test drove Tjet.
    With 90BHP power with 1498 CC engine I didn’t felt any strain in this Car. Gear-Box is matched properly. First time I felt why others are telling Fiat need proper gearbox matching.
    120 KMPH came in 2500 RPM, 160 came in 3500 RPM. I touched 170 for couple of minutes, no strain; it was asking more for push. Planted on road at this speed.
    I am not encouraging this speed, I was not aware it touched 170, its free revving kind, First time I drove at this speed. I am consistent driver of 120-130 in 4 lane highway. Felt speed masking like option as FIAT.
    Please don’t try this in any manner; this is purely for testing as I don’t do this in normal driving.

After EcoSports I test drove Linea 1.3 Diesel, I am aware of Fiats characteristics, but My Father In Law & wife also liked it very much, they felt more space & bone chill AC in rear. ( My Father in law drove Fiat 1100, Maruti 800 current ( from 1996-till date).

So after driving almost all Cars I have decided to stick to FIAT ( no matter how pathetic their service is).

Rating:-

1. FIAT Linea 1.4 TJet ( if 1.6 will not come).
    2. Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCI.
    3. Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD.
    4. Skoda Rapid ( Straight line it will beat Linea 1.3 easily but curvy road suspension & handling will play for FIAT ).
    5. VW Vento.

Justification of Rating:-

Nothing to say about TJet. I know one driver name Chandan ( very controlled and never seen a driver like him before, who drove along with me Hyd-Midnapore with my punto), If I give him 1.4 Tjet, you can’t even compete with him if you have BMW320D, forget other car. Kiran, sorry you will be most controlled driver no 2 as per my observation ;) ( after your TJet drive), Respect to Other drivers, Kiran will be number 2 in my list before any other driver.

Fiesta will be in my list as no 2 from performance perspective than Linea 1.3 MJD, Suspension & handling is almost close to FIAT ( in city or highway). Engine is one of the GEM I have seen with perfect matching gear. First time I felt FIAT need proper gear matching with all 5 gear too.

Skoda Rapid is better than Vento, as I drove in city I felt suspension is ok, but compare to Fiesta nothing to match, Drive Fiesta & Rapid in Highway; you will feel what I am trying to say.
    Though Fiesta is 1.5 but Rapid can’t match it. I don’t know why ford fail to sell this car.

Vento I didn’t like, Rapid is better than Vento what I felt after driving both cars. But look wise & material quality, dash design Vento is better. Engine is more boomy than Rapid.
    I didn’t consider Verna ( though it has power and torque), but in Highway it will not come close to any C2 Car.

I test drove Ecosports, never expected not so good performance from so-hyped car. Ford has done wrong here, not sure if this is the same engine as fiesta. Basically in City also it lacked to connect driver & Car.

Final Verdict:-

Decided for 1.6 MJD Linea ( as per FIAT plan it will be launched in 2014) with refreshed version. That Case I will sell my Punto.

If FIAT is ignorant and not launch 1.6, I will go with 1.4 TJet with refreshed version. I will keep my punto then ( name change required in RC).

Fiesta lacks couple of essential goodies as priced higher in bracket. Space in rear feels cramped. Except this point I can prefer this more than current 1.3 Linea, but price wise it is too much when compare to Linea.

Other Car not considered.

Some one said it correctly:- Once a FIATian, Always ask for next FIAT, FIAT bug is very dangerous. No repair possible for mind to deviate from it, I realized it once again.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Good to know that you have finalised a list of finalist cars. It hurts a bit that you find the Linea 1.3mjd, a bit lesser to Fiesta's performance. But you have good reasons and rights to believe so, esp. since you have TDed all the cars. In Linea MJD's defence I can only say that should it match cc per cc to Fiesta it will outperform it in stock condition itself.
    There is a reason why it got adopted so well by other manufacturers as well.
    2 people like this.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

True. I have had my share of fun with the Figo and Fiesta(TDCi) on the highways with my 90HP.

After I overtake them, I used to adjust the speed and wait for them to catch up on the RVM, when they are about to overtake me, I will press the accelerator and will surge ahead, then repeat the same.

Am guilty that I did it to satisfy my ego and for my share of fun, but I beleive the Ford guys enjoyed it too. ;)

Note, this was on a weekday during off peak hours and the drive was boring, and I did not goto the extent of posing danger to other road users. :)
    3 people like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry Suman. I have to pitch in here to differ your opinion. :)

Rapid TDI can any day beat Linea in straight line as well as on curvy roads. I myself had that experience when I drove with my Linea from Trichy to Dindigul 4 Lane road. One Rapid TDI guy gave me nightmares. Initially I thought that I could get him on curves. To my surprise, his car also comfortably cruised at very high speed on curves just like Linea. I had real tough time to catch with the Rapid TDI guy. Bottom line - I couldn't catch up with him.

Rapid TDI is real good car. One may have to do extended TD on highways to believe its capability just like Linea MJD.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Vw cars are not particularly a bad at all.
    On most occasions the difference is quite less. If you come out of the fiat mindset these cars are definitely good.

Refinement is much to be desired with when you compared it with MJD but still livable

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  6. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Sorry to differ here, rapid is not so good on curvy and rough road like linea.
    Yes i agree that there are drivers who are either too good or to ignorant of the capability of their cars , i have seen verna,chevy, even scorpio driving very fast jn ghat roads. It's always depends on the driver about what he feels safe until he experiences something.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes Soumen. I had the same opinion until I encountered that Rapid guy. :)

I would not call that guy as ignorant. He drove so professionally. He did not drive rash. He drove fast. He braked just before the curves and started to accelerate on the curves. The way he drove that car that day was so professional. I followed him almost 80 kilometers and not even once the Rapid went out of line.
  8. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    As you said he seems very experienced.
    Just imagine what he would have done with a Linea :).
    Also you never know what mods he has done in his suspension/brakes ;)
    Please note here, that I have never driven a high GC linea and my exp is only on old Linea.
    2 people like this.
  9. Rapids handling is close to Linea, if not better. i don't think only on handling front Linea can beat Rapid's speed on highways or in curves.
    It has punchy engine can acclarate lot quicker than Linea, even if Rapid has to slow down little more than Linea in a curve it's acceleration will push it's nose ahead.FIAT has to bring MJD 1.6 to Linea to answer fords and Skodas of this world.

I mean no offense to Linea or it's owners but, i did drive rapid TD car for extended period and it is pretty decent car to own looks smaller than Linea but,interior's looks better.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Okay, In my car torque peaks at 2500 RPM and stays same until 4000 RPM, I got this tune much to disliking of Siddarth.
    He told me not hold to WOT for more than a minute at 4000 RPM or more.If you see Fiesta does the 160 at about 400-500 less that's the gearbox that should have been on Punto/Linea.
    Let us not worry about some thing that is not there or not possible to even get it.
    3 people like this.
  10. Offers for December announced from Maruthi, Chevy. Fiat seems to be still sleeping :confused: