1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New Car searching started, To Replace 76HP Sports.

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by BoseSuman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Dear All,

I have started searching New Car for me. Which will stay more than 10 years.

I will put my 76HP Punto on sale, As I am from Bengal, I wish to sell it here in A.P with heavy heart.

Req:- Diesel with high torque, torquey engine required.

Test Drive completed for:-
    Last year:- Vento, not impressed.
    This year:- Linea T-Jet ( with All TFIans), Skoda Rapid, Ford Ecosports(diesel), Ford Fiesta New Diesel, Linea Diesel.

Except Ford Fiesta & TJet all driven in city. Most bad exp with so hyped Ecosports, I am impressed with Fiesta for drivability in City & highway both ( though it has EPS instead of HPS), Opposite experience with Ecosports with same 1.5 engine :(.

I will write detail exp in this thread shortly, What I can say:- FIAT has drowned me completely. After driving All car FIAT wins with great smile, what I felt it need big engine. After driving Fiesta ( 1498 CC 90 BHP & well tuned engine with good matching 5 speed gearbox) I started to believe nothing can beat Linea with 1.6 MJD or 1.4 Tjet.

Fiesta is 12.57 L on road, it's too high for the size & engine ( detuned to 90HP but well controlled, no strain in any RPM band till 3500)

If FIAT tuned new 1.6 MJD properly with good gear ratio matching, I can say frankly now, you don't need any Car except 2.0 or more diesel Audi/BMW/Merc.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Suman, if not any urgency, I would suggest to wait till new Linea is launched (just few months away).
    If launched with 1.6, nothing to consider. If not, you have many option to get confused :). Ask Kiran.
    2 people like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    If 1.6 is launched it will be priced similar to Skoda Rapid. What budget min max you looking at ?

Sent from my MMA50 using Tapatalk 2
  4. GaganTakker

GaganTakker Amatore

New Delhi

Definitely rightly sd by Ravi ,, there is an upgrade in early 2014 , wait for a while and it will be worth else existing model will get huge discounts :)
  5. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Many Thanks Ravi. No urgency to buy FIAT, as I am the most impacted by FIAT ( missed 14 days to 90 HP due to their pathetic sales & service :) ). P.S:- I was not active/silent reader in any online forum that time :(.

As you said rightly, I am waiting for refreshed model only. If 1.6 no other option, If not then 1.4 TJet will be option in refreshed model.

Budget isn't matter if FIAT launch 1.6, I will go with top-model. And I know It will not be less than 12L OTR Hyderabad.

Skoda Rapid is good, but lacks of HPS & dead pedal which is reuired in highway drive for me.

Thanks Gagan, I am not going with existing model, If Tjet also, I will go with refreshed one.
    1 person likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    You will need to be specific about your petrol or diesel needs, maybe at later date for your own good. Budget wise you will find yourself lucky within a year's time.
    Do note that inspite of the 1.6 engine talks, it will be a big decision for Fiat and it may not happen soon or may not happen at all in Linea and Puntos to begin with.
    There are tax issues too for bigger engines that companies need to keep in check to keep the cars in sellable prices.

Having said that, I too would wait it out for Fiat to come ahead with a clear policy about the 1.6 diesel. My suggestion, keep the Punto as long as you can before you totally make up your mind on your next car. Punto has many advantages overall that are not well matched by other manufacturers in the same price range.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It's a bummer that the FIAT service let you down on an occasion. But the truth is - once you're spoilt by FIAT's ride and handling, there's no going back. Last week I had an opportunity to drive a Rapid TDI from Gurgaon to my home here in Mohali. The car has power, no doubt. But it's ride quality, comfort are no match for Linea. The refinement is just not there. So do factor this into consideration.

My sincere advice would be - Wait till Q3 2014, if you are not in an urgent need of a new car. The Linea 1.6 will probably be launched by then and you can make a reasoned choice.

Also, wait for the Honda City diesel to come out on the roads. Good or bad I don't really know but atleast we can compare it. The refreshed Linea 1.3 will also be out by Q1 2014.

3 people like this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Suman, if your budget is 12 lacs, i would suggest to buy a Linea Tjet right now for 9.5 OTR Hyd, put 2.5 lacs in Fixed Deposit and use its interest (and some more from pocket ;) for petrol bills!)
    that would make up for the diesel petrol price disparity!
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    4 people like this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Sorry to ask but why are you selling the Punto?

As people have suggested either wait for the 1.6MJD to be launched or go for the T-Jet if you are really looking for a performance car. Or else there are Fiestas, Vernas, Rapids in the market to choose immediately, any budget decided?
    1 person likes this.
  10. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

My observations (purely personal)

1. New Ford Fiesta

Pros : Strong build, great city / highway drivability, Best NVH levels I have seen so far for a diesel, bunch of equipments and features (CC, auto fold mirrors additional), Sync - Only other car with voice controls (even ACC temp can be set using it), EPS (actually is a smart steering) is a boon contrary to our perception (it weighs according to the speeds) and is the best amongst the lot IMHO.

Cons: Priciest among the competition (But, a 1.5 lakhs discount is being offered from Ford), rear bench is too basic, feels crampy inside-out, design from the rear can be a big turn-off.

2. Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD

Pros : Solid build, great highway drivability, benchmark in ride and handling, excellent brakes, all equipments and features offered, Blue & Me, best Steering feedback, gorgeous design.

Cons : Perceived sluggish engine, niggles, after sale service issues, interior fit and finish, interiors seem dated.

3. Skoda Rapid

Pros : 1.6 L engine, Solid build, power on tap, torquey engine, mature handling, new features have been added (new gen)

Cons : Perceived poor after sales service, pronounced vibrations can be felt on the clutch pedal, EPS, lack of dead peddal (shouldn't be a deal breaker, but I would definitely be disappointed)

4. VW Vento

Pros : Replica of Rapid or vice versa

Cons : Thin dealer network (atleast Hyd has 2 SCs but in remote locations), noisy engine (tractor like sound), hard for common man to differntiate between a Vento and Polo while viewing head-on.

5. Hyundai Verna

Pros : 1.6 L engine, best interiors amongst the competition, 2nd largest number of service centers availability

Cons : Not confidence inspiring in departments that matter the most for us, brakes, handling and Suspension .. Period.

6. Nissan Sunny

Heard a lot of good things about this caaaaar, but the very look (subjective) puts me off.

7. New Honda City (Diesel)

Haven't got a chance to check out yet.
    2 people like this.