1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New car buying suggestions

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sly.cooper, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Hi Guys,

I currently own Swift petrol (~9 years) and Linea MJD. I am planning to sell swift and buy a new car. The car is driven by wife and will continue to remain the same (city drive). The budget is ~3.5 - 5.0 L. Can you guys suggest any cars in this range? So far I have checked and considering Beat, Spark and i10 (cost perspective). I did not like anything in Maruti. I have also seen on the web that Punto Evo 1.2 starting price is Rs. 4.6 L (ex showroom). Can someone please share experience with petrol Punto? I am owning Linea MJD with Emotion pack variant and already know about Fiat's build and ride quality . I am not sure of other variants. I am thinking Active will be really basic so may be dynamic (depends on cost though). All 4 power windows is must. decent FE in city.
    Any suggestions?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Since its basically for city commute, I assume that it will be petrol car. If thats case, then you are spoilt for choice in the budget you mentioned. Apart from the one's you considered there's also Datsun Go, Maruti Celerio, Nissan Micra, Renault Pulse, Ford Figo. If I assume that the car will be driven by your wife, then I would suggest to go for Automatic in the city driving. Maruti Celerio fits the bill. it has all power windows but FE will not be as expected.

I would suggest opt for a car which has ABS as the minimum safety feature.
  4. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

You can consider Honda Brio as well if it is within your budget. My wife drives one and she is completely impressed with that. Infact after we got Brio, she is not even touching my car now!!
    mchanna likes this.
  5. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    I would Suggest Go for a Hyundai Grand I10 better ASS and proven petrol mill from Hyundai.

Pulse and Micra's NVH is to high being a petrol. I had TDed both.

Figo would be expensive to maintain on longer run but has best handling.

Celerio I test drove but did not feel comfortable. I am able to feel every small road unevenness inside the cabin. But yes Good Mileage and cheaper to maintain

Not sure about Datsun GO but having same mill as Micra. I doubt about it's NVH and handling.
  6. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Brio is best suited for city driving that too for females. Best car
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Assuming a second car will also be shared/driven by you on occasions like when your own car is for service etc. and also to keep the FASS related rapport in one hand, giving better control over both cars utilizing them to the fullest. Handling etc. and overall built quality and FE too of Punto petrol is not bad either. The only worthwhile alternate comparisons would be Figo for handling or Hyundai's i10 which is a better all round car for city with good petrol engine and occasional highway runs returning better FE. Brio is nice too but too small a hatchback. i10 is roomier in comparison and tall boy design is a definite plus for city driving.
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

How about Nissan Micra Active ? It will give you ABS, dual airbags , and a decent city performance. I happen to possess the Micra automatic (CVT), and that is fully loaded and gives me 15 kpl in Pune city. I can vouch for Micra's build quality..doesnt look rugged as a Fiat, but not too tinny either. It is really a nice spacious well rounded city hatchback with a decent boot (250 ltr).
    prabhjot, bharath and asimpleson like this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    A red or glitterati gold Punto Evo 1.2, obviously. :) For the looks, ride, build, steering, handling, and brakes, the last four of which make it far safer in my book than a flimsy, over-priced, air-bagged, ABS equiped Brio or i10 Grand. Acechip's suggestion of a Micra is a good one too, I think.

Don't be mislead by the mere 68 hp on a famously heavy car etc: the 1.2's actually a very driveable city car, and while it takes longer getting up to 100+ highway speeds, it can cruise along at say 120 kph without strain.

10. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    I test drove the Punto EVO Petrol Dynamic and found the car decently powered but the space in the back was quite less. It looked really good to me in the flesh and the new dash board looked nice but the Dynamic version would go beyond your budget, I think it was beyond 5.80 lakhs on road. The driving position on the Punto could be a deterrent to lady drivers, I suggest you ask her to take a test drive before you decide.

Let me also tell you that I bought a Celerio for our family, for the urban runaround, in the time gap between when the old petrol Punto was not available and the new Evo was not launched. To be honest, even if the Evo was around at that time I would have bought the Celerio.