1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

New brake pad design for Punto 2012.

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by naveen, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @theblack,

Pls dont confuse people here by saying its best to change brake disc and pads together. If such decisions are taken, i would say it is ill advised as the cost of ownership will skyrocket. Brake discs easily last three sets, although the TASS will constantly scare you about the need for a change. I got mine changed at 47 K kms when I was fitting my third set of pads, but there was more life left in the disc, but then the use and throw mentality has got entrenched and hence no talk of disc facing was ever suggested
    The concentric circles you see on the rotor discs are normal and nothing to be concerned of.It is a coming together of friction material and bound to happen and pads dont do an act of polishing !!

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    But why brake pads are required to change 3 times in 47k kms? And a set of discs.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    VP

The first change was at 27K and the second change was at 47K. So it was actually 2 sets. Thats what I meant.

Abdul
  4. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Seems like the question by the thread starter has got lost. Is there a design difference between brake pads of 2009/10/11 Fiats and the 2012 Fiats?
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    yes there is difference in brake caliper in 09/10/11(mid) and 11(mid)/12 cars
    Brakes feel same in day to day driving haven't ripped my friends/relatives new caliper equipped cars as they didn't belong to me and I have to take utmost care of them.
    Visually new pads seems smaller than old pads.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I'm not trying to confuse anyone here. I'm quoting what the A.S.S guys say so that people who may know more in this forum can tell me if I'm wrong so that I can go ahead and argue with them and get the right opinion.
    Also it would help others who might be fooled into believing the same, that was the only intension
  7. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    avg 25k kms for brake pad change is still too low. You changed 3 sets of pads and 1 disc in 47k kms, while I changed brake pads and discs at 30k kms and again at 60 k kms. Still cost of 2 pads and 2 discs are lower than 3 pads and 1 set of discs. Still 60k kms is too short a period to change pads and discs twice.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @VP,

I fully agree with your calculation, but looks like some finer things in life has a price tag clinging to it :)

Abdul
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    You got the point. Disk should be fine.

If you use pads beyond its limit the metal portion of pad comes into contact with disk then severe & uneven wear of disk is there.

If pad life is low even with min. use of brake then you may have faulty brake calipers. I mean brakes are partially binding.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    ;):p
    Sure, but provided its informed to you. If its a surprise, then it means you are forced to accept. Only 18,000 to 25,000 kms life of brake pads or discs is a surprise.:punch